Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Another Jtv59 Bites The Dust.

Well, after the first JTV59 I bought was bricked while doing a firmware update, I returned it to my local Guitar Center.  They were kind enough to transfer in two different JTV59's so I could pick the one with the nicest top.  That took a week.  So, yesterday, back to Guitar Center I went and picked up a new JTV59, and played it last night.  Really like the guitar.

Tonight however, while practicing, I had the model selector set to SEMI and without any interaction on my part, the models would switch intermittently.  Then the three position switch stopped working - it wouldn't switch between various models within the model selection.  The three position switch works fine when just switching the magnetic pickups, but not with the models.  Doesn't matter if I have VDI or battery (which is full) powering the guitar.

I updated the firmware to 1.9, but that did not fix the problem.  Neither did rolling it back to 1.82.

Tonight I also noticed that there is an audible click when engaging the model selector switch.  The click comes from the upper cavity and toggles with the selector switch.  Not sure what that means.

I'm getting frustrated.  I love the way these guitars play and sound, but with this kind of reliability, who would be confident to gig with this?  I mean, really, $1,500 and I'm two for two with defective units?  (Boy am I glad I didn't spring for the US model)

So, I opened up a tech support case and they say that they will get back to me within three business days.  Great, that's next week!

Anybody have any ideas?

Frustrated,

John
  • Upvote 1

I had the same problem with my JTV-59. the problem was intermittent with no clues as to why or when the issue would materialize. since I had only just received the instrument from Sweetwater, they promptly emailed me a return shipping label and sent me a replacement that same week.

so far no issues with the replacement. best of luck to you in getting your repair/replacement soon.

cheers.

I got a replacement from Guitar Center on Wednesday.  They didn't have a nice Cherryburst, so I decided to go for the Black.  Got it home and it seems to be fine, so far.  Have not had the guts to update the firmware because I'm afraid to brick another one!

Plays really nice and sounds great through my POD X3 Live.

I got a replacement from Guitar Center on Wednesday.  They didn't have a nice Cherryburst, so I decided to go for the Black.  Got it home and it seems to be fine, so far.  Have not had the guts to update the firmware because I'm afraid to brick another one!

Plays really nice and sounds great through my POD X3 Live.

Did you get a new workbench interface? A bad one might be bricking your guitar.

Did you get a new workbench interface? A bad one might be bricking your guitar.

Yes, I did, thanks for the suggestion.

The second two guitars I got both came with two workbench interfaces brand new wrapped in a bag.  Both accessory boxes were sealed, so, they came from Line 6 that way.  I think that's strange.  If there is a reliability or quality issue, you would think it would be cheaper to fix the issues rather than ship two interfaces in case one is bad!  Maybe I'm missing the reason for the second one?

My newest JTV59 seems to be working, and I've held off updating if for now.

Yes, I did, thanks for the suggestion.

The second two guitars I got both came with two workbench interfaces brand new wrapped in a bag.  Both accessory boxes were sealed, so, they came from Line 6 that way.  I think that's strange.  If there is a reliability or quality issue, you would think it would be cheaper to fix the issues rather than ship two interfaces in case one is bad!  Maybe I'm missing the reason for the second one?

My newest JTV59 seems to be working, and I've held off updating if for now.

Understandable. I suggest giving it a try if you replaced all possible faulty hardware though. Make sure the connection is solid and not to move around cables while it's updating.

You got two Workbench interfaces with each of your guitars? That's weird... That isn't how they normally ship. There should only be one.

You could actually do the update through your X3L as well.

Check out the entry on this forum page for,....

Problem Upgrading To Ver 1.9

At the bottom of the posting,...

I'm the JTV Tech here at Line 6, I posted a link for a procedure document I created, that we use here at Line 6 for updating Flash.

No, didn't brick it just yet,....

Double check your set-up and hook-ups to and from computer, any MIDI, the JTV interface box and whatever else you have hooked in.

Then try using the procedure in the link, and if needed,... run it twice. If that doesn't work, then you may have brick the Main Board. A

local authorized Line 6 service center would be able to deal with that.

-P.B. Sarkissian