Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 cable method sounds thin??!!

ChaserHUN

I've tried the POD HD 500X with my valveking head, and the sound is a lot thinner than connecting directly to the amp. I've tried my ISP decimator G-String as well and it sound same as connecting directly, so theres nothing wrong with the cables or the amp. Any one had similar problems? FX loop is engaged, mix is 100%. It sounds as loud as before just a lot thinner and more high end :S

i don't use an amp, nor do I use the unit's fx loop, which means I am definitely not the guy to answer this. 

However: 

Comparing the fx loop with the guitar in: 

The fx loop redirects the signal. Not everything is going through the 'tone' section, some things are going through just the 'power' section. There is going to be a difference. 

Just look at the way different fx sound when placed before distortion than when place after. The 4cm is will be the same. 

Hollis has a great suggestion.

I sometimes use the studio EQ after the FX Loop to boost and I can get some good harmonics when I open the highs up to 8000 Hz I don't think you have to up the gain on the highs to get it either. Sometimes I completely open up lows and the highs on the Studio EQ when I run stereo drums into the FX Loop Return placing the FX Loop before the EQ so it's affected thereby allowing me to control it's freq's and levels.

You could try placing it at the end of your chain and just upping the gain, try opening up freq's range too to hear what happens. You could also try the Boost Comp or Tube Comp.

You could also try the other EQ's. Of Course there are probably other options. Also you check the FX Loop switch setting Line/Stomp and the what id the 1/4 inch outs set at Amp/Line?