Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

One preset, 3 amps, three switches help

fester225

So I'm trying to avoid the whole changing presets within in a song. I need to have three tones, dirty, clean, and overdrive. I want to be able to have three switches, one for each of them, here's my problem, I want to be able to recall any of the three on thier dedicated switch, regardless of what switch I'm on, ie: on od button 3, hit button 1 to dirty, hit button 2 clean, ect ect. Regardless of what button I hit the other two turn off is what I'm trying to achieve. I've tried a couple different ways but I'm lost, thanks in advance

What you're describing is the "scene" mode we all hope line 6 implements or can implements someday.

Switches can only toggle the opposite state of all that's assigned to it (max 8) On/off or an amount, like gain.

scene mode would allow one button to recall all effects in a presaved state.. i believe one of helix's competitors has scene mode (ax FX?)

• Upvote 1

I don't understand what "scenes" mode will do if it ever comes along, but here's another way to do it, the way I do it.

I use only one amp. I use EXP1 to go from clean to edge of breakup (and I change all the parameters of the sound, not just the drive), then pile on more distortion with a drive pedal (current fave is the Minotaur, used to be the Tube Drive). That gives me four tones. Clean, clean with Klon, dirty, dirty with Klon. Then I have a comp/boost for a little extra push. Unless I need metal toanz (I don't), I can use one patch for every sound I really ever need out of a given guitar.

Thanks for the help, I'm aware of scene modes, I just thought there might be some trick routing someone has came up with, for the life of me I don't understand why line 6 didn't implement the "snapshot /scene function. It would eliminate the dreaded preset gap, which is noticeable. Looks like I'll have to use per preset which I'm totally used to albeit with far less gap when I was using my gsp1101, great unit by the way.

• Upvote 1

So I'm trying to avoid the whole changing presets within in a song. I need to have three tones, dirty, clean, and overdrive. I want to be able to have three switches, one for each of them, here's my problem, I want to be able to recall any of the three on thier dedicated switch, regardless of what switch I'm on, ie: on od button 3, hit button 1 to dirty, hit button 2 clean, ect ect. Regardless of what button I hit the other two turn off is what I'm trying to achieve. I've tried a couple different ways but I'm lost, thanks in advance

There is no way to do exactly what you are asking.  However, I did make this patch for someone else that asked the same thing and its as close as you will get. The switches are sequential left to right.  The clean stays on all the time but if you kick on the crunch or dirty it cuts off the other two. BUT, you will have to kick them off as you go back.  Either way, there is only one amp on at a time even if all 3 switches are lit up.  You will have to load it up to see what I mean, its not that complicated.  Feel free to change amps and play with it.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1610248/

There is a solution, that might not be 100% what youre asking, but allmost. Sometimes you will need two stomps, but the sound change will come at once. 
I posted this solution to a guy asking for 4 amp-switching and you could do the same thing - just leaving out one amp and one switch.

Open the link to see pic...

line6%204%20amps.jpg?dl=0

(The link pic doesnt seem to work, but it is here: https://www.dropbox....mps.jpg?dl=0) 

The Green Switch select which one of the paths to use. 

The Red Switch selects which amp is used in path 1 

The Blues Switch selects which amp is used in path 2 

If you dont want to use three switches, you can combine the Blue and Red in one switch, but then you cant go from amp 1 to amp 4 without using two switches... If they are side by side, you might be able to hit them at the same time... 

There is a solution, that might not be 100% what youre asking, but allmost. Sometimes you will need two stomps, but the sound change will come at once.

I posted this solution to a guy asking for 4 amp-switching and you could do the same thing - just leaving out one amp and one switch.

Open the link to see pic...

line6%204%20amps.jpg?dl=0

(The link pic doesnt seem to work, but it is here: https://www.dropbox....mps.jpg?dl=0)

The Green Switch select which one of the paths to use.

The Red Switch selects which amp is used in path 1

The Blues Switch selects which amp is used in path 2

If you dont want to use three switches, you can combine the Blue and Red in one switch, but then you cant go from amp 1 to amp 4 without using two switches... If they are side by side, you might be able to hit them at the same time...

I tried to work your patch out, how did you type the routing to a switch, and with the merge and mixer dots , any other setup with those? Not sure exactly what those are for? The manual is somewhat vague.