Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The S/PDIF Cut Out Problem

robbieb61

Happened to me today in the studio. It SUCKS!!!

​I had done several takes of a lead break and (of course) when I finally nailed it, the S/PDIF on the Helix cut out on me on the last note! ​That needs to be fixed ASAP!

yeah it's a bug that they are working on (hopefully).  I have the same problem.  They have acknowledged the problem and say they are working on it.  It's pretty lame though.  That's a pretty big bug to have IMO.  I'm optimistic about it though and I'm sure they will eventually fix the problem.

How do you guys have yours hooked up? Do you record the spdif signal? Use another interface? Use Helix as an interface and record its USB?

I use Helix as an interface and record using its USB. I use the spdif only for monitoring. When I get a cutout (all audio coming from the output is dropped), it's certainly jarring when you're right in the middle of recording a take, in a particular a difficult take, but it's still recorded.

Well I'm using a Roland VS2480 studio circa 2003. So it doesn't even know USB exists! lol

​And unless I use a digital input into the mixer, it will send me through the Roland preamps on the board. The S/PDIF input on the VS2480 bypasses the Roland preamp. So I prefer recording that way for each track to avoid an colorization of the sound.

​So yeah, when that S/PDIF glitches on the Helix...it REALLY, REALLY sucks! lol