Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd300 -> Hd500 - Better Recording And Sound?

Souther

Hey everyone! I'm using my POD HD300, and it's awesome, but there are 2 things which lollipop me off so I'm going to buy POD HD500 :c

1. recording - when I listen to my sound live on amp, it sounds good, but if I record my guitar and listen to mp3 of it, it just sounds much worse! So, quality of the recording will be better on POD HD500 and the latency will be lesser?

2. sound - predominantly I can't get nice sound myself, and I have to download done preset from line6 and only then it sounds good. So.. I'm afraid that all the more reason I won't be able to get nice sound from HD500 if I can't get on with my HD300. :/ But on line6.com are more presets for HD500 and it's nice. POD HD500 will be sound better?

P.S. I do a lot of covers, and I need good equipment to recording, so hd500 will be ok?

And have you got any tips for recording? for example pod settings, or recording 2 times (one for left and one for right speaker)?

Sorry for my english. :)

1. there will be no difference in quality of recording or latency with the HD500. But there is something wrong with your HD300 setup or connections if you are not getting a good recording,  and you would have the same problem with the HD500 if used the same way. For recording you should set the HD300 to Studio mode - different from the Live mode you are probably using to listen through an amp. There should be no noticeable latency; make sure you are monitoring your sound using the HD300 outputs - not using the software Monitoring feature in your DAW.

2. As you say, there are many more presets in Customtone for the HD500 then the HD300. But as above, the sound quality of any individual preset you download depends on how the creator of the preset used it (e.g. output mode), and whether or not your setup corresponds to that. There is no inherent difference in quality between the HD300 and the HD500 - the main difference is in the flexibility of assigning and routing amps and FX.

In my opinion you have issues with your HD300 setup. Recreating the same setup and environment with an HD500 won't remove those issues. Please tell us exactly how you are using your HD300 to record.

I can see two outpus on my HD300. Right and left. And I can see, that if I'm using studio mode, I have to use Right output, because HD300 says: L-Live, R-Studio. And I have never used right output. I'm coming home as fast as I can and I check out this method. :P
And about HD500. Will I feel the different in sound when I buy HD500?

And about reocording. Which settings should I get in POD to record? 

Okey, I've used your settings for recording and it's really better, but not the best like others videos. :P
POD HD500 is much chipper now, so there's no problem to sell mine HD300 and buy HD500. I think I'll feel different and freedom to set my guitar sound. :)

You don't mention your recording environment/setup. If it's PC based, make sure you configure your DAW (recording program) to use the Pod HD device and its ASIO driver as the audio device. On a Mac you would do the same thing but I believe the terminology is different (no ASIO).

I can see two outpus on my HD300. Right and left. And I can see, that if I'm using studio mode, I have to use Right output, because HD300 says: L-Live, R-Studio. And I have never used right output. I'm coming home as fast as I can and I check out this method. :P

And about HD500. Will I feel the different in sound when I buy HD500?

And about reocording. Which settings should I get in POD to record? 

You're confused about the labelling on the outputs.  "L-Live, R-Studio" is only for mixed mode.  In Studio mode, L=Left and R=Right, both in Studio mode.  If you're only running one out Left is correct.  If you want Stereo, use both.