Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69 strings

jacko1

Hi I would like to put lighter gauge strings on my New JTV69  and have ordered some 9 - 42 gauge but read on another Forum that this would ruin the guitar set up and intonation. does it make such a massive difference as I am not techy and would have no idea on setting a guitar up

It will make a difference, but whether or not you notice it is something only you can answer. It could make a very noticeable difference if the lighter strings result in fret buzz. JTV guitars and significant fret buzz do not play well together. The extra string vibrations can cause unwelcome artifacts in the sound after DSP processing.

Your best plan, I think, would be to try the lighter strings. If the result sounds good to you then stick with it. Otherwise consider a professional setup or revert back to the heavier strings.

I've switched to JTV69's to the string gauge you want and I haven't really noticed any issues. These guitars are shipped with 10's from the factory so you'll have to do some minor setup work once the new strings are on. Also, be careful with the JTV69 tremolo. One of mine likes to pop out of place if I remove all of the strings at once. The easiest way to avoid this is to swap strings out one at a time. Alternatively, some have suggested putting some kind of block under the bridge (in other words, lifting the tremolo arm up and putting something under the back of it to hold it in place) to help keep it in place.

Hi I would like to put lighter gauge strings on my New JTV69 and have ordered some 9 - 42 gauge but read on another Forum that this would ruin the guitar set up and intonation. does it make such a massive difference as I am not techy and would have no idea on setting a guitar up

Changing string gauge on any guitar requires some adjustments, especially for a floating bridge. A lighter gauge means less string tension on the tremolo springs. In turn, the springs will pull the bridge closer to the body of the guitar, limiting how much you can pull up on the bar, and likely throwing your intonation off to some degree. Also, the reduced tension on the neck usually results in the neck straightening out slightly, which will lower the action a bit. This may result in some string buzz, depending on how high the action was to begin with. A truss rod adjustment is (usually) needed.

Setting up a guitar properly is not difficult, but requires some practice, like everything else. It generally doesn't take much to throw things off to the point where the guitar won't play very well. Check on YouTube, there are numerous how-to guides for doing a basic set-up.

As always,... when changing string gauges, be aware that changing

gauges will change the string tension, and alter the set-up slightly as

a result. So, have your local guitar tech check it out and adjust as needed. 

Usually will only need a slight dial-it-in adjust.

So "silverhead" is right. He and have discussed this before. He knows his stuff.