Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Update

DoctorV

Any thing that is going to be showcased at NAMM is going to be for/about the new stuff, not the HD units. 

That doesn't mean that there will never be new updatates/upgrades to either product. But, as a business, their first priority should be to make sure they get the new stuff out before they start catering to people that are buying 5 year old gear. 

For example, since they are designing EDIT for the new stuff, they could, in theory, use some of the new design for the old stuff. But why would they showcase it for the old stuff.

NAMM, like any trade show, is always about the future, not the past. 

• Upvote 1

To the OP

How do you know that? I don't see any evidence that they are working on old pod HD....maybe they don't even read this forum anymore lol...

FIX the current bugs would be my dream....

They will definitely bring us something that can be converted from helix and make profit from it, like bundles etc. But things for free... Even correction patches....Forget it

Let's make things clear. 1). I mean HD 500x that, I suppose, is still a flagman in its price category and its full potential hasn't been revealed yet. 2). I don't talk about FREE update. Of course it'll cost money and part of it will be converted from Helix and somehow optimized for HD, better or worse. 3). There's such a thing like Ideascale where Line 6 guys read ideas and mark what they review or work on. 4). I've noticed that Line 6 releases new updates somewhere around NAMM. That's why I thought these facts are connected.

• Upvote 1

It would be great to have a functioning HD Edit... It is frustrating to go through a tone build, save the changes, only to find that somethings has failed or a bug lowers the bloody volume... Something tha happens allot wile the HD500 is connected with a USB.

One thing that is really needed, is a searching field. It's difficult to find where the presets are!

• Upvote 1

As slow as the Helix has been to hit the streets I'm not expecting much at NAMM other than focusing on Helix.  Clearly they've got a lot of resources targetted right now on that alone to get it stable and functionally complete and shipping out the door in any great quantities.  Not to mention getting the desktop version out and ready.  I'll be shocked if we see any maintenance updates this year for the POD HDs.

If they show any new products I suspect they'll be add-on packs for the Helix to fill some holes and demands on that product line.

That is a joke, right? 

Sarcasm doesn't always show well when in print. I would hate to think that this is a real desire. 

Why would you consider it a sarcasm? I like to be able to quickly find patches during edits.  In fact I would like to see a search design like the one in Guitar Rig 4.  Just type a song title and see the preset for it. :)

I think it's a matter of convenience in our instant-gratification world.

When I was a lad there were things called dictionaries that were only available in printed form. In order to find the meaning of an unfamiliar word you had to have the skills to:

- be able to spell the word;

- be sufficiently literate to look it up alphabetically and find it on one of the several hundred pages in the book

Not unlike the current editor, where in order to find a preset you have to:

- know which of 8 setlists the preset is in, or (horrors!) systematically look through each of them, and

- scroll through the list of preset names in the setlist, with the literacy skill to read them and recognize the one you want

Outrageous!! Why can't we just ask Siri to find it for us?

I think it's a matter of convenience in our instant-gratification world.

When I was a lad there were things called dictionaries that were only available in printed form. In order to find the meaning of an unfamiliar word you had to have the skills to:

- be able to spell the word;

- be sufficiently literate to look it up alphabetically and find it on one of the several hundred pages in the book

Not unlike the current editor, where in order to find a preset you have to:

- know which of 8 setlists the preset is in, or (horrors!) systematically look through each of them, and

- scroll through the list of preset names in the setlist, with the literacy skill to read them and recognize the one you want

Outrageous!! Why can't we just ask Siri to find it for us?

Lol. It's amazing how the most basic of tasks becomes obsolete, looking up a word, if one even cares enough to do that in the first place! And if you somehow can't even manage that today, just make something up, spelling and all.

One of the more destructive sides of technology.

Regardless of what is or isn't coming down the pike, there is one thing we can count on:

No one is going to tell us anything until the press release...no matter how nicely, or how many times the question is asked. You'd have better luck calling Buckingham Palace and asking for the Queen's bra size....

I used to carry a map in my glove compartment.

I used to have to look up information in something called an index in a hard bound book called an encyclopedia.

I used to have to wash my clothes on a rock down by the river. Just kidding about the rock thing.

Truth is, stuff changes and people have different expectations and skill sets. I hope we never loose electricity for a month. Half the population would be gone.

Believe it or not: 

A file manager/database would not be a horrible idea. But I wouldn't want it to be part of EDIT. When a file is in EDIT, it doesn't need archived. I would want it to be standalone. 

Something where you can see/search based on criteria - like, show me all of my Marshall patches or show me all files with drive set less than 30%.

And yes, maybe add a section where we can add artists and songs, so if we want a file that sounds like "Elle - Ex's & Oh's", we can search for it. 

Hell, as long as I am wishin and hopin, I have a patch, show me similar patches. 

But I have far more than the 512 patches that can fit into the Pod. Mostly because I save each file under a song name -- I have the same patch saved many times, because I use it for different songs.  

It would probably not make much sense for L6 to design software for me and the 10 other guys in the world that do it the way I do it. But it would be nice if they did, because it can be tailored to the specs found in L6 files. Which would be far too difficult for me to design in something like Access. 

Truth is, stuff changes and people have different expectations and skill sets. I hope we never loose electricity for a month. Half the population would be gone.

Would that honestly be a bad idea? 

I am not concerned with my own survival. My issue is the fact that I can't find people who can live without electricity/internet. Like, my bank, if the power goes out or their database goes out, they can't give me any of my money. They could lose everything I have with them and not have a single piece of paper that could lead back to any of it. 

Oh, and fyi, I only get lost when I rely on technology. LOL 

GPS is only good (for me) when I first know where I am going. There are too many 6 lane highways, and machines don't specify that I need to be in the 3rd lane in order to end up on the proper exit. They just say "keep left" or "recalculating". I need to know what I am doing, and then the technology can be my sidekick. 

As slow as the Helix has been to hit the streets I'm not expecting much at NAMM other than focusing on Helix. [...] I'll be shocked if we see any maintenance updates this year for the POD HDs.

If they show any new products I suspect they'll be add-on packs for the Helix to fill some holes and demands on that product line.

I do not agree. The HD500X is still on sales rank 2 "multi effects" at our biggest web-seller, Thomann.de (and it is really a big store with many articles). And most of the reviews are from summer and autumn 2015 (bought my device as a Christmas present for myself)., so I am really sure that this device is still best selling and making good money with guitarist which do not want or aren't able to spent 1,500€ on their hobby.

To keep costumers satisfied could keep this river running because IMO there is no need for a new or different device in the same price-range (it could also be just my wishful for us HD-users ;)

Regards, Sascha

You may be experiencing something quite different in your area, although I'm not talking about sales...it's more about delivery.  It's entirely possible to book decent pre-sales even when delivery has been delayed.

Here in the US the two biggest online music retailers are still waiting for stock.  Line 6 slipped the original ship date from what was first announced.  Clearly at least over here they're having problems in keeping up and getting stores stocked.  They already missed the Christmas rush in both Sam Ash and Guitar Center in most locations and it's still not listed on Amazon.  That could be from too much demand, or a problem in their supply/manufacturing chain, or a combination.  Until they get this flow of product and availability working correctly, I doubt they want to be too aggressive at new product announcements and invite the questions from the press about their ability to keep up with shipping dates.

I doubt they want to be too aggressive at new product announcements and invite the questions from the press about their ability to keep up with shipping dates.

The press? Lol...sorry, but this isn't exactly the kind of story that Inside Edition salavates over.

"Guitar amp modelling pioneers Line6 having supply issues with their latest gadget. Cranky, tech-obsessed musicians pitch a fit. Film at 11..." ;)

Apparently you haven't noticed the industry press haunting the halls at NAMM.  No manufacturing company wants negative press because that floats out through retailers  as well as forums and boards like this and ultimately affects both consumer and retailer buying/inventory decisions not to mention company reputation and credibility.  Are you really that naive about the retail business and the marketing environment in the industry?  The decision makers at Sam Ash, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, and Musician's Friend could care less what's said on Inside Edition.  But I guarantee you they all subscribe to and read one or more of "Music & Sound Retailer", "Music Trades", "Electronics Wholesale", or any number of other music retail magazines.

And by the way, we're not really talking about a little company called Line 6...we're talking about a multinational company called Yamaha as far as the business community is concerned, and I can guarantee you Yamaha is quite concerned about their reputation and credibility as a broad based manufacturing firm.

Sometimes I can do nothing more than roll my eyes and shake my head when I read some of the responses on here...

Sometimes I can do nothing more than roll my eyes and shake my head when I read some of the responses on here...

Just as I can do nothing more than roll my eyes at those who apparently have no sense of humor whatsoever, and are completely incapable of recognizing sarcasm when they see it...even when accompanied by a little smiley face.

But fear not, you have put me squarely in my place...I humbly concede defeat.

Sorry about that...sheesh.

I guess the previous post I responded to bled into what I was thinking when I read your response.

My most humble apologies Cruisin'....

Me too. All good!

And you're right, of course there's industry press, and it does matter. I was just amused at the thought of a media horde descending on Calabasas, camping out in the L6 parking lot, and chanting "Where's My Helix? !?!". I could see that appearing in "The Onion", lol...

Move along folks, nothing to see here...;)

Hey, come on, guys! I feel an aura of disappointment in this post. Let's think together, has 500x a future or not. I suppose it has. Maybe even ancient X3Live has. You can drive Rolls Royce, Ford or even bicycle... If the vehicle gets you where you need to, it's only left a question of convenience and perspectives of use. Nobody stops to sell bicycle parts just because Ford announced a new model. It's all about what do you want - to get to the business meeting, drive your family to the lake on holiday or just ride a bicycle whichever the wind blows. It's about your professional level, the purpose of use, about instrument and money, even about state of mind (we're all musicians, don't let the tech overwhelm your souls ;))

It would be great to have a functioning HD Edit... It is frustrating to go through a tone build, save the changes, only to find that somethings has failed or a bug lowers the bloody volume... Something tha happens allot wile the HD500 is connected with a USB.

One thing that is really needed, is a searching field. It's difficult to find where the presets are!

Some suggestions. I haven't run across what you describe but other people have and here's two things that seem to help.

USB - Don't use a USB hub. And if you aren't, try different USB inputs (my laptop has USB inputs that work better than others).

Don't touch the pedal board when you are connected to your computer and Edit is running. It just doesn't like that. For me, I have done that and it will work but, in my case, when I have done that, that's when things start to not work well.

If you already knew these tips, I apologize. But if not, give them a shot. Hope it works out.

has 500x a future or not.

It is 6 years old. 

No, it isn't going to be around too much longer. That doesn't mean that the HD Series is dead, nor is the $500 price point. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did an HD505 or HD600. It is also possible that they come out with a Helix Lite (once they get the actual Helix out). 

Don't get me wrong, unless you are a member of the iChurch of Apple, you don't need to buy the new stuff just because the new stuff is out. I have a 500 and could give two craps about anything else. Nothing else matters to me. I don't even need 'new' features added to my unit. I have a unit that I wouldn't have bought if it didn't suit my needs. I mean, holy crap, there were people buying Amplifi and Firehawk to replace their HD units because "well, dude, it is new, so it has to be better, and I must have it." There are even people who bought the 500x to replace the 500 -- its got an X in its name, it has to be eXcellent. 

No wonder they don't like their units. They don't take the time to use it. They buy it, and start searching for what is coming out next. 

• Upvote 1

Line 6, can we count on new updates for POD HD on the Summer NAMM 2016 or even earlier? I know, there're some things you're working on at the moment like improving effects and adding features to POD Edit. 

My gut instinct tells me there will be no more updates. If there is one, the main fix I would like to see is take the percentage thing out of the parameters; mainly the EQ. I know, I know, it's a hardware issue and supposedly can't be fixed. But isn't there something that can be done. At least in Edit. Can't a little algorithm be inserted in EDIT so it would not be percentages in HD500 edit? Ya know, a little IF THEN line of code. IF 50% is there THEN it equals this in dB, or whatever.

Some suggestions. I haven't run across what you describe but other people have and here's two things that seem to help.

USB - Don't use a USB hub. And if you aren't, try different USB inputs (my laptop has USB inputs that work better than others).

Don't touch the pedal board when you are connected to your computer and Edit is running. It just doesn't like that. For me, I have done that and it will work but, in my case, when I have done that, that's when things start to not work well.

If you already knew these tips, I apologize. But if not, give them a shot. Hope it works out.

Yes, I already follow those tips, but sadly it doesn't help. :) and no need for apologies, LOL

My gut instinct tells me there will be no more updates. If there is one, the main fix I would like to see is take the percentage thing out of the parameters; mainly the EQ. I know, I know, it's a hardware issue and supposedly can't be fixed. But isn't there something that can be done. At least in Edit. Can't a little algorithm be inserted in EDIT so it would not be percentages in HD500 edit? Ya know, a little IF THEN line of code. IF 50% is there THEN it equals this in dB, or whatever.

That's a good idea, but don't count on it. They still have yet to fix the invisible DEP values they introduced with the last update.

• Upvote 1

Any announcement about POD HD series at NAMM will cause mixed messages for merchant's purchasing/stocking decisions for 2016. I expect Line6 to go full force toward their future product lines in Helix to solidify their message this year among many other competitors. After the dust settles, THEN they can rekindle older products.

I would like to be able to..

print setlists in Edit.

rename setlists both in Edit and on the physical unit.

You could take a screen of HD Edit to get part of a setlist. I know, it kind of sucks.

You can rename setlists in either. On the unit, press the setlist encoder, then hit save. In HD Edit, select the setlist tab, then slow double click on the setlist name.

• Upvote 1