Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Back to HD500(X)

bsheen

Well I am not sure why I feel the need to share, but I'm going to anyway.  Just my opinion....

After a long wait on the Helix and much deliberation on the new product, I've decided to move back to the 500 series.

All whilst testing the Helix, I kept asking myself..."is this really worth the $1000.00 more than the 500?"  Albeit great tones were achieved in the Helix, I don't feel for me its worth the extra money.  I built a pretty extensive library of tones with the 500, and fortunately I still have saved on my pc, that quite frankly I think sound as good if not better than the Helix.  Combine the 500 with amp sims and some custom IRs, and I think its a system that has tons of options for tone.

So for me, I'm glad I tried the Helix to see what all of the buzz was about.  But my gut says go back, so...that's what I'm doing!

• Upvote 3

Can't ever go wrong listening to your gut! I'm sure many people would agree that the extra $1000 is just not justified.

Having said that, I think Helix is truly amazing, and its flexibility in routing, IRs, and recording features (dry signal, reamping) meet my needs much better in the studio.

I remember a couple of your tracks you made with the HD which were all around really impressive. As long as you're happy with what you've got and can make good music with it, that's great, that's really all that matters in the end.

For me, the tools I use to create music are one of the things I choose not to skimp on, as much as I can anyway, not skimp that is. While I could still make the music I make with the HD, I'm glad I moved to Helix. It's really a pleasure to work with. It's easier to create the tones I want, saving me a small amount of time that can go towards actually writing music. The re-amping feature is a nice time-saver as well.

I think there is enough space in the spectrum of products, enough for the Helix + the HD500 / Pro-Series, to be sold over many years if they are well maintained by Line6.

So I do hope, they recognize the benefits in maintaining a good product-series, without the force and expenses to release a new modeling device every two years.

Keep existing costumes satisfied may be the best way to keep a positive reputation and let users spread their positive experiences all around the world. This could IMHO be interesting, under a economically viewpoint too.

REGARDS

Sascha

P.S. Please excuse my poor English

I have not looked at the Helix. I have not even seen one in person. My only exposure to the Helix has been here on the L6 board, and one brief mention on a Jackson board. 

I have a perfectly functioning unit that I would not have bought if I was not completely satisfied with (other than wanting an Android software version of EDIT). So, I have no reason to pay any attention to other products. 

• Upvote 1

So the 500x will be here on Thursday. I'm pretty anxious to compare the helix side by side. I was going to send it back before the 500 arrives but decided to wait.

I'm curious... One of my favorite amps for rhythms is the dual rec. Do any of you guys find that with helix it has this strange "pinched" sound? I think I remember the 5150 had this sound on the 500,but the dual rec did not. I've messed with the power amp settings, but it still has that weird sound. I've listened to Mesa's demos of the real amp and it doesn't sound like it does this. Also the Mesa Amplitube dual rec does not either. I'm thinking this might be part of my reasoning for going back to the 500.

• Upvote 1

I don't dismiss that I may one day decide to move to the Helix, but I suspect I'm in the same situation as many people.  I already have a LOT invested as far as time and effort in my POD HD, and it's currently serving it's role quite well.  But I've never been one to jump onto the "just because it's new it must be better" bandwagon.  Heck, I'm still running Windows 7 and haven't seen a need to upgrade that either.

But, as with all new products, there will be a growing period.  It's getting into the hands of more users and L6 is most certainly getting product feedback at this point.  I'm sure there will be a number of updates over the next year or two, and eventually it might stabilize into something well worth having.  However, if L6 is smart they will provide an upgrade path for those of us that have an investment in creating patches on the POD HD.  I can't envision ever investing 3 times the cost of a POD HD and then still have to manually re-create the work I've done on the Helix.  I'd much rather spend my valuable time playing then upgrading.

• Upvote 1

I'm with the OP.

"Tone may or may not be in the fingers, however it's surely in the heart, "butt" one thing I do know, it's not in a fart."
 fart-in-face.gif 

"I like my HD500 and all the other Line 6 stuff I've got, am I gonna get rid of it? Definitely not."
love-song-smiley-emoticon.gif

"I wish I could get a Helix, though I'm short on dough."
brokesmily.gif
"Am I happy? Am I not? I'll stick with what I've got."
playing-and-smashing-guitar-smiley-emoti
  • Upvote 3

... I already have a LOT invested as far as time and effort in my POD HD....

...I can't envision ever investing 3 times the cost of a POD HD and then still have to manually re-create the work I've done on the Helix.  I'd much rather spend my valuable time playing then upgrading.....

There's nothing I've seen or read about the Helix that makes it worth the extra $1k for me

besides triple $cost, the cost of rebuilding tones (including testing/fine-tuning on lives) certainly is a serious "entry barrier", even with an automated utility....

oh, btw, i'm happily running bug-free the hd edit on outdated xp (off line if needed), using the only pod that can handle both workbenches: hd + 1.9 'n lower versions :)

• Upvote 2

I thought also about the Helix. The missing integration of the DT-amps is a "no go" for me.

For me HD500X + DT25 is the best setup I've ever played.
I added two distortion (Mooer Blues Crab and Mooer Hustle Drive) pedals in front of the HD500x,

which makes the system perfect. 

My other guitar player in the band has a TwoRock amp with several boutique fx pedals.
He can not believe how good the hd500x with DT25 sounds.

• Upvote 1