Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning Footswitches

SymphonicDischord

Quick question is it possible to assign one effect to two different Footswitches in a patch? For instance, I have a patch with a delay and a phaser and I want to have the delay on a Footswitch by itself but I also want it on another one tied in with the phaser.

Whenever I assign the delay to a switch and then try to assign the delay/phaser to another one, it overrides my previous setting. Any help/clarification would be appreciated.

Alright thanks for the quick reply, is there a way to copy paste blocks or do I just duplicate my settings manually?

Select the block, press ACTION and then Knob 1 (Copy Block). Choose the destination—even in a different preset—press ACTION, and then Knob 2 (Paste Block).

Select the block, press ACTION and then Knob 1 (Copy Block). Choose the destination—even in a different preset—press ACTION, and then Knob 2 (Paste Block).

This is, btw, my very favorite thing about programming in Helix. such a game changer for me and my workflow.

But then you would have to press both switches - Either it is now turned on, or the mix is not up ? 

After thinking about this a little more, what I said above doesn't even work right. With the phaser disengaged, the delay's mix parameter would be zero. Sorry about that.

The OP wanted to have a delay by itself on one switch, and the same delay on a different switch with a phaser. Having two identical delay blocks works, but you'd still have to remember what you did previously. For example, if you have the lone delay turned on and then turn on the delay/phaser, you still have to turn off the lone delay (another switch press) or you'll have two delays going at the same time. Unless, in addition to this setup, you also assign the mix of the lone delay to toggle to zero when the delay/phaser is engaged. That way, the two-delay-on scenario would never occur, because the toggle state of the lone delay doesn't matter anymore. However, with the phaser engaged, you can't turn off the delay unless the phaser is turned off. I think what makes this a little confusing is having an identical delay by itself on one switch, so it has the ability to toggle when the phaser is off. Does any of this make sense? Because I'm starting to get confused again. :unsure:

You can create a new block in your chain with the same delay and setting as the one you want to use. Basically having the same pedal twice and having the second on the same footswitch as the other effect you want to use. 

You should also be able to have it set so that one delay is bypassed when the other is switched on. Just be sure to manually bypass one of them when you are setting the other's footswitch. 

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

• 2 months later...

Very interesting topic, assigning footswitches.  There are quite of a few work arounds for assigning parameter changes to footswitches.  Even using the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT then CC changes!

This MIDI solution seems to be the only one for adding a programmed looper switch.  Line6, please make it simpler to add a parameter change such as stop, start, play once to ANY footswitch 'outside' of looper page.  Also just a smidge of memory would be nice to recall a few loops?  Say 2 minutes or even if possible, accessing USB INPUT for added memory recall.

My solution thus far for assigning multiple 'assignments' to a footswitch is to add a duplicate or similar effect, such as a delay.  This allows you to have a 'multiple2' or 'multiple3' type switch but still control, say the delay discretely.  I believe a lot of users here are doing this because of the latency you have when switching patches. Otherwise you could solve many problems merely by adding a lead without delay and modulation patch.  I tried this but alas go too much latency to where it annoyed me.  Probably wouldn't matter too much live, but annoyance enough to try other work arounds.  Would like to hear other solutions to multiple effects being turned on and off with one footswitch.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I have another issue. I'd like to assign a footwswitch called Flanger, to turn off another switch called Overdrive whenever the Flanger switch is on. How can this be accomplished?

Right now, it can't. You could assign the flanger and overdrive effects to the same switch and have them toggled opposite each other, though. And it sounds like in your case, that's what you want (when one is on, the other will be off and vice versa).

So I can set up one effect assigned to a footswitch, e.g. Flanger, and set that to "On" then assign the OD effect to "Off" but link it to the same footswitch? I'd like to swap them as you indicated above so I'll have to try this. I have the same issue with two harmony patches so this will be a big help.