Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with my L2t/ Pod HD500X

I am having some problems using these 2 together. I'm starting to think its not going to do what I want. I wanted to eliminate the need for on stage amp/speakers, so I purchased the Hd500x and the L2t. What I am trying to do is use the L2t as a stage monitor for both electric and acoustic signals. I play a PRS with a piezo bridge. I have the HD500x connected to the L2t via optical xlr and the acoustic into the acoustic modeling input. I then have this output into the main mixer for the house.

The problem I am having is with the Speaker Mode.

When I manually set it to the electric guitar setting, it sounds great, but if I switch to a different preset on the HD500x, it switches itself to Reference/PA and the tone gets really muddy and horrible.

I have tried unplugging the acoustic input, but it has no effect, it still does it.

I have tried putting the L2t upright, and on its side, still the same result.

Is this user error, or does mine have a problem?

By 'optical XLR' do you mean the L6 LINK connection? If so, the speaker mode of the Stagesource is being reset each time you load a new HD500X preset because the current speaker mode is saved as part of the HD500X preset when you save it.

The problem as I see it is that you want to use two different speaker modes at different times. When playing using the PRS electric signal you want the speaker in Electric Guitar mode, but when playing with the acoustic signal you want it in Reference/PA mode. You can edit each HD500X preset that you use with the PRS electric guitar signal and manually change the Stagesource speaker mode to Electric Guitar and then save the preset. Henceforth your Stagesource will remain in Electric Guitar mode as you change HD500X presets. However, with the PRS acoustic signal connected directly to the Stagesource input (with the signal bypassing the HD500X) you will need to manually change the Stagesource speaker mode to Reference/PA mode when you want to use the PRS acoustic signal.

One workaround I can think of, just to add to silverhead's suggestion, is to create a preset in the HD500x that could essentially be blank except that it changes the L2t to PA/reference mode for your acoustic sounds.  It would just be a "dummy" preset since no signal would be going through it but it might save you having to manually set the speaker mode on the L2t. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input! I play at church, it's just me and a drummer and vocalist. I use both electric, and acoustic together on just about every song to add some depth to the sound. I also have my vocals and the vocalists voice running through separate VoiceLive pedals for harmonies. My mic goes through the acoustic signal, and the singers through the mag signal. I do have a Fishman Loudbox amp that I could run the acoustic through instead of the L2t, but I was trying to minimize stage noise.

If you're going to want to play both electric and acoustic at the SAME time, then you're going to have to re-work your presets so that they sound good in PA/Reference mode - much like you'd have to do if using another FRFR system or going directly into the PA...

While Electric guitar mode sounds killer for the electric patches (seems to be a tad bit easier for me to dial in - not sure why), if you want the acoustic and electric sounds to sound good simultaneously, you're going to have to put in a little work...   but worth it (at least it was for me)

If you're going to want to play both electric and acoustic at the SAME time, then you're going to have to re-work your presets so that they sound good in PA/Reference mode - much like you'd have to do if using another FRFR system or going directly into the PA...

While Electric guitar mode sounds killer for the electric patches (seems to be a tad bit easier for me to dial in - not sure why), if you want the acoustic and electric sounds to sound good simultaneously, you're going to have to put in a little work...   but worth it (at least it was for me)

I had a feeling this was going to be one solution........

I'm going to say basically the same thing.

1.  Just use reference PA for everything and tweak A/R in the POD.  First of all, I think what's being passed through the speaker to the PA is what you think it is!  I'm pretty sure the signal going to the board is a reference PA signal regardless of what you have as speaker mode.  My opinion is that the L2 speaker modes are only useful if you're using it as your FOH speaker or if using it as a floor wedge.

2.  Run your acoustic through the POD's Aux input.  keep the Aux turned off for patches that you don't need the acoustic and the main guitar input off for patches you don't need the electric on.

3.  Just be certain that when you hit save, you know what the speaker mode on the L2 is.

2.  Run your acoustic through the POD's Aux input.  .....

The good/bad news for me is that I found the Stagesource L2/3t speaker's built-in Acoustic modeling in the side panel mixer was better than anything I could get through the POD HD500 modeling. So for small setups I tended to connect my acoustic guitar to my L3t Channel-1 input rather than the HD500. That brought the complication the OP describes into play, but I felt it was worth it for the superior sound. In larger setups, generally using an external mixer, the rest of the band/instruments meant that the acoustic quality of my one instrument wasn't so important and the simplicity of connecting to the HD500 won out.

An interesting side note, though, is that I find Helix with its ability to import IRs is able to give me superior acoustic tones to those available through the Stagesource.

Idea:  Connect the acoustic directly to the speaker. Then make a POD patch that turns off the guitar input and switches the L2 to acoustic mode.  Select patch and play acoustic.

Again though:  I don't believe that the L2's processing is being passed on to the board.  I could be wrong about this, it might depend on which inputs you're using on the L2.  But I always thought that as long as I was running direct to the board, I was fooling myself by using any of the L2's internal processing as the board was basically getting a PA/Reference signal regardless of what I had set on the L2.

I was never totally in love with the POD HD through the L2's but it's a completely different story with Helix.