Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp model volume inconsistencies

acehole777

Just got my unit in and set it up 4 cable method with my Orange Jim Root Tiny Terror.  I use the Orange's preamp with Helix effects for my main crunch sounds and use the Helix preamp models for clean tones and other various sounds (same method I used to great success with my POD HD500X).  However, many of the Helix preamp models are unusable because the volume levels are extremely inconsistent between models and some of them are completely inaudible even with the model volume dimed!  I have not yet attempted to update the firmware.  Is this a known issue that should be fixed with the newest firmware or am I the only person that has experienced this?

some amps are just different... especially when talking preamp models... since some feed the power amp hot and others don't... all part of how each amp gets its ultimate sound....

dont think there is a specific issue that was addressed, regarding the concerns expressed here... but the latest firmware is recommended for many reasons....

and surely many more reasons and firmware updates to come....

just food for thought but I experienced the exact same thing with my DT25.  What i found was the full amp models are much more consistent and actually sound MUCH better than the preamps by themselves.  Don't be tied to the preamps just because you are 4 CM.  Give the full amp models a try, you can always make adjustments to master, sag, bias, etc. to get the tone you want.  In the end the only thing that matters is how it sounds blasting out of your cabs...

Thanks for the input guys.  I'll update the firmware tonight and also try out the full amp models.  @phil_m I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "gain block."  Where do I find those? 

They are in the Volume/Pan section of the block menu. A gain block is kind the opposite of a volume block. It allows you to boost the volume anywhere in the signal chain (a volume block allows you to cut it).

They are in the Volume/Pan section of the block menu. A gain block is kind the opposite of a volume block. It allows you to boost the volume anywhere in the signal chain (a volume block allows you to cut it).

Aha!  Sounds handy.  So I could use that for a solo boost as well instead of the EQ pedal model I currently use?

• 1 month later...