Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reamping with a real amp causes noise please help!

efunkelist

Here's an audio-example:

http://www.niskahiki.com/randomness/reamptest.mp3

I first recorded a dry-track and then tried to reamp that dry-track via helix using 4CM to my tube-head. For this audio example I turned the drytrack on mute from DAW to show you the NOISE which is the problem. In the end I switched from crunch channel to lead channel which makes the noise even worse (yes, I understand that is due to the amount of gain in the distortion but still, how am I supposed to reamp when mixing heavier tones?)

Please help me!

That noise is nonexistent when I use a laptop but my laptop doesn't run as fast as my desktop.

This is not ground loop, not the AC-cycle hum. I had that before but it is gone now, thanks to fixing the power supply in my studio and using isolators. This is some crazy digital jitter :C

Here's an audio-example:

http://www.niskahiki.com/randomness/reamptest.mp3

I first recorded a dry-track and then tried to reamp that dry-track via helix using 4CM to my tube-head. For this audio example I turned the drytrack on mute from DAW to show you the NOISE which is the problem. In the end I switched from crunch channel to lead channel which makes the noise even worse (yes, I understand that is due to the amount of gain in the distortion but still, how am I supposed to reamp when mixing heavier tones?)

Please help me!

That noise is nonexistent when I use a laptop but my laptop doesn't run as fast as my desktop.

This is not ground loop, not the AC-cycle hum. I had that before but it is gone now, thanks to fixing the power supply in my studio and using isolators. This is some crazy digital jitter :C

If you open up a ticket, we will have access to a little more information on your set up, which would help trouble shoot this issue.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

For backing tracks etc I use a presonus firestudio tube as a DAW which is the heart of my home studio. Helix is just for the guitar only.

Try just playing a mp3 song from your computer through Helix.  I'd like to rule out the DAW.

^nope, it is not a sync-issue. Listen to the audio sample provided in the opening post.

I forgot to mention; the noise disappearing with my laptop; I forgot to say I was running the laptop ON BATTERY. When plugged in to the mains, the noise is the same as on my desktop computer.

I tried to playback mp3's etc audio - it makes no difference. The audio I play back is just fine but that alien noise comes through all the speakers all the time_constantly_ and is emphasized when the gain on preamp get's higher. It does not matter what signal is running and where. The noise is present both on my monitors (from Helix's XLR outputs through presonus DAW) and the guitar-cabinet run by the tube amp.

Line6Hunter, thanks I shall open a ticket too.

I forgot to mention; the noise disappearing with my laptop; I forgot to say I was running the laptop ON BATTERY. When plugged in to the mains, the noise is the same as on my desktop computer.

That narrows it down to a power problem.  Probably a ground loop if unplugging your laptop from the power outlet solves the problem.  I'd try a different outlet or maybe make sure Helix and the computer are plugged into the same outlet.  Anyhow, I'd play musical outlets and power cords until I solved the problem.

All the gear are in the same power-strip so it shouldn't be a ground-loop-issue. I've had that before and it sounds different too. It is more of a buzz and AC-cycle hum while this one is more random kind of jittery gibbery - pretty clear on the sound sample I provided in the opening post. Besides, if it even was a ground loop it should be fixed with a transformer-isolator. I've got two in use, tried them, solved nothing.

To me it seems, I will have to give up trying to reamp the real amp and just stick to reamping the modelled stuff, keeping the real stack separated and only miced live in the room... :L

Good and bad news:

I had forgot that I had actually a 5-cable-method going on; I had a line-out from my poweramp to my DAW. I came to unplug that and.... SILENCE! That noise was gone!!!

Now I can use the 4CM completely. I just need to find a way to get that line-out working with all these. Or maybe when I wish to reamp that signal I will just use a laptop/iPad for that. I still wonder WHY did the noise disappear when I unplugged that line because it was ran to my DAW through a transformer-isolator :S

Nevertheless, now I can reamp my real stack with helix!!! (if only did the audio work stable with El Capitan... the audio driver needs to be rebooted every once in a while...)