Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Only As Multieffects Processor

andreasmaniotto

Hi there!

While performing on live stage, I would like to deactivate the Amp Emulation of my POD HD500 and use my Blackstar HT100 Head for Clean/Dist sounds.

How should I connect the POD to the Head? 

Guitar --> Pod Guitar In --> Pod Out --> Head Main Input

or

Guitar --> Head Main Input       Head Effects send-->Pod Guitar In -->Pod Out --> Head Effects Return

or

....?

What do you suggest?

Yesterday I tried the first one, but in this way my Head looses ALOT of punch...

And do I have to switch any parameter on the POD system configuration? (e.g. Studio/Direct, or....)

Many Thanks!!!

Andrea

Hi there,

You should use the 4 cables method (4CM) for what you´re trying to achieve. I don´t know if you are familiar to this method, but you can find some great info here:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2522

With the 4CM you connect your POD straight to the Power amp Section of the Blackstar, and the Blackstar´s Pre Amp Section in the LOOP of the POD. If you get lost or need some info, please comment here.

Cheers!

I have a 5150 III 50 watt head and I use the 4 cable method so I can use pre and post effects in the POD.  Through experimenting I found that I needed to boost the volume on the FX send just as indicated in the document above but I did it differently.

I put the FX loop after the mixer and boost the volume A and B to +12.0dB.  This way I'm not using up any FX spaces.  To reach equal volume in the FX loop of the amp the Master volume on the POD should be all the way up.

If you ping me I can send you a preset.  

I am using a Blackstar HT60 with and HD500 in 4CM so I know what you mean about losing the punch.

Making sure that no amp is selected (not simply turned off), placing the effects loop after the mixer, boosting the mixer channels by at least 3dB and setting the Guitar IN-Z to 1M or 3.5M is crucial to getting rid of the tone suck from the HD in 4CM without having to use the HD's EQ's to even out the tone which takes up valuable FX slots.  

@Aeolianreflex what type of output do you use? Studio/Direct? Combo power amp?

Are you using only distortions from the HD500 or do you use also your Blackstar channels?

Can anybody share a default patch with standards effects in, so I can import it and test it, please?

Many thanks to everybody! Next week I will come back to my rehearsal room and I will give a try.

Cheers

Andrea

@Aeolianreflex what type of output do you use? Studio/Direct? Combo power amp?

Since you are not using amp simulation there is no need to select an 'amp simulated' output as it will add EQ to adjust your effect as if you are going into a desk.

Ideally you should use Studio/Direct but try them all and see what sounds best.

Input 1 is set to 'Guitar'.

Input 2 set to 'Variax'.

Also, you can set your patch like this to see if you get a bit more punch:

Split the chain so two amps are visible and move the effects in front of channel A so it looks something like this:

__ FX__FX__Amp A __

__ /                                        Mixer 

\ ___________Amp B __

'None' is selected for both Amp A and Amp B.

On the mixer, Amp B is set to 'Mute' and Amp A is centred in the mix < 0% >

You will still get signals from your both your L & R outputs from path A.

Both path A and path B are stereo but since path B is muted put all your effects in path A.

s

I'm using combo power amp for the output but you can use whatever output sounds best to your ears. I use 1/4" out with the switch set to AMP and the effects loop switch set to stomp. I set the effects loops return to +6 and the send is at zero. I only use the HD500 for effects and I use the Blackstar's OD channels for distortion. I don't use any of the distortions or overdrives from the POD but I do use an MXR 10 band EQ in front of the POD as a unity gain boost to really push the Blackstar's preamp when I want a cutting lead tone. I have the POD's volume and wah effect in front of the effects loop and my delays, chorus, flange and pitch shifting effects are after the effects loop.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

So I did some tests, and the 4CM sounds really different than the standard mode.

But anyway, it looks to me better. I have to experience it a little bit more.

What about using the amp emulation with 4CM? Should I change something?

I did a test, setting a BF Lux on NRM input, but I experienced a lot of digital clips while playing hard on the strings.

And last : what about using distorsions from the POD? (I mean pedals, not AMP)

Many thanks!

Andrea