Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Broken capacitors in TonePort?

HI!

I've TonePort UX8 and since few months had a problem with noise and cracks on guitar inputs in TonePort UX8. I've opened it and found something on capacitors. Are they broken and need to be replaced?

This substance is in Guitar Input Section and in Power Suply Unit also. Please see photos.

Best regards,

Marcin

post-1363637-0-68253900-1452682953_thumb.jpg

post-1363637-0-46534900-1452683023_thumb.jpg

That's true Brazzy. In the 90s I ran across a bunch of motherboards that were using a really bad batch of caps that showed up on a variety of boards. If the cap didn't pop its top or bulge the old boy wasn't about to solder unsolder random parts :)

I can't hazard a guess as to the caps causing pops and cracks.

-B

• Upvote 1

That's true Brazzy. In the 90s I ran across a bunch of motherboards that were using a really bad batch of caps that showed up on a variety of boards. If the cap didn't pop its top or bulge the old boy wasn't about to solder unsolder random parts :)

I can't hazard a guess as to the caps causing pops and cracks.

-B

You must be X'perienced Bro. :)

Speak'in of Cap's I got a Samsung TV doing the Ol' Clickitty-Do-Da-Day, it's on the blink :blink:

Guess I'll be doing some soldering soon. â€‹

You may be better served by just doing a google search (for exp. "UX2 distortion and crackling") stuff like that.

This IE 11 is keeping me from pasting links so I am a bit screwed right now doing that.

BUT there was a thread which found out it was a grounding issue which was fixed by plugging everything into the same power strip. FWIW.

I recommend that prior to surgery. :)

-B

You may be better served by just doing a google search (for exp. "UX2 distortion and crackling") stuff like that.

This IE 11 is keeping me from pasting links so I am a bit screwed right now doing that.

BUT there was a thread which found out it was a grounding issue which was fixed by plugging everything into the same power strip. FWIW.

I recommend that prior to surgery. :)

-B

I don't know... I had some cracking first and a lot of static noise or when I've push on/off PAD switch there was noiticable boost. Now there is no boost (should be -4/+10dB) no matter if PAD is On or Off. There is no cracking anymore and no big static noise, and PAD doesn't work anymore (I've 2 PADs for Instrument1 and for Instrumen2 inputs, and both PADs doesn't work - still both inputs work well). And unfortunately it's UX8 not UX2... so there is not a lot of info in google. Anyway, thanks for help.

Try this:

Okay folks, I may have solved this! I have not tried any of the mic inputs, but the guitar inputs are working now without any cracking or distortion. Open your Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices from the System Preferences (located in the "other" section on the bottom of the System Preferences. Under the driver tab, click on the "Run Audio Midi Setup" button. On the window that pops up...change the "format" from 44000.0 Hz to 48000.0 Hz. Ensure that, to the right of this number, you see "2ch-24bit." I will post again in a few days an let you know if this fix is stable. I've uploaded a PNG file with my new settings. Okay, I feel a solo coming on that I have to record. Cheers. Skip.

Taken from:

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/43818/

-B