Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wishlist for Helix II

kensington

External wireless VDI, please. I get that it will not sell tons but dream rig is not a dream until you can use it wirelessly. I think more big tours would implement variax and Helix if they could change guitar models and tunings via Helix without being tethered within 25 feet of the helix.

As I recall, with current technology, this would add $500-$1,000 to the cost of the Helix. No thanks. (But it would be cool)

• Upvote 1

looper.... lots of looper....

multiple stereo loops....

ability to store them and keep them and have them be portable etc

and if its possible, keep refining the UI... truly Helix's strong point!

not saying it needs anything... but whatever else you add from the wishlist risks complicating it!

i'd also avoid gimmicks... not everything needs a touch screen just because you can. :D

(not that it couldnt make sense in some contexts.)

• Upvote 3

It'd probably add $200-250 to the box, without the transmitter, which would be another $199. Are people willing to pay that sort of premium for built-in G70-level wireless?

On the upside, each preset could instantly switch channels/guitars and cable tone, so that'd be cool.

My wish list for Helix 2 is bigger than yours.  :P

BOSS have just done it with the katana Air. Looks interesting

BOSS have just done it with the katana Air. Looks interesting

We did it with Spider V last year.

Shouldn't have been very difficult for BOSS, considering how closely they copied our design. Are they pulling from Behringer's playbook now? If so, that's incredibly ironic considering how often Behringer has stolen from both of our companies.  :(

Also note that Helix is designed for huge tours with huge stages. G10 (and presumably BOSS' wireless bug, as it's nearly identical to G10T) are not. It's the same reason you don't see a VW transmission in a Lamborghini (which is owned by VW). Pro-level modeling solutions deserve pro-level wireless solutions.

...Also note that Helix is designed for huge tours with huge stages. G10 (and presumably BOSS' wireless bug, as it's nearly identical to G10T) are not. It's the same reason you don't see a VW transmission in a Lamborghini (which is owned by VW). Pro-level modeling solutions deserve pro-level wireless solutions.

Yup. This is why there will, I hope, never be wireless built-in to a pro-level box.

We did it with Spider V last year.

Shouldn't have been very difficult for BOSS, considering how closely they copied our design. Are they pulling from Behringer's playbook now? If so, that's incredibly ironic considering how often Behringer has stolen from both of our companies. :(

Also note that Helix is designed for huge tours with huge stages. G10 (and presumably BOSS' wireless bug, as it's nearly identical to G10T) are not. It's the same reason you don't see a VW transmission in a Lamborghini (which is owned by VW). Pro-level modeling solutions deserve pro-level wireless solutions.

Are you sure you don't even wanna TRY half -a$$ing it just a little? It works for the gov't, and they've been in business for 240+ years...ðŸ˜

be cool if there was a modular wireless add on port... sort of like a USB drive size thing that people can by a transmitter and receiver and easily integrate. and at multiple levels... meaning a cheap and cheesy G10 level when that does the trick then onwards with the likes of the G70 etc just build in the receiver parts that are common to all and the magic parts can be on the modules. (alot of assumptions.... clearly... but an idea none the less.)

1 - Dedicated volume knob  assignable to the USB 1/2  audio input or a specific pair of analog return pairs  ( for plugging in a music player or external stereo source to be mixed with whatever is in the patch.

2 - much better looper with multiple tracks  and much longer recording time - and a SDHC  card slot for storing audio. 

3 - Type A socket for plugging in a memory stick to store and load patches and setlists

4 - And optional 18 ( or 16 )  SCRIBBLE-STRIP version - so we can view snapshots while at the same time view all the effect bypasses  ( or MIDI control centre stomps or SYNTH NOTE PEDALS )

5 - GLOBAL options for MIDI Command Centre, audio-routing block options, presets per model type ( all of this could be applied to the existing HELIX too ) 

6 - built in USB hub. And ability to send audio out  as a MIDI HOST device - in order that the HELIX can be used more effectively with devices like the iConnectivity interfaces. 

7 - wi-fi capability to be able to edit presets via an iPad remotely. 

8 - extender socket to allow a second "extender" SCRIBBLE STRIP foot controller unit to be attached to the HELIX in order to add more stomps. 

9 - better audio routing options for USB multiple I/O channels.

10 - in combination with a Variax III - built-in guitar synthesiser ( using a faster or more DSP chips ) with ability for Variax III to send MIDI per string over a new VDI connector.

11 - add a second USB type B  socket to allow BOTH an iPad or iOS device  AND a PC/Mac to be connected at the same time to the HELIX - so that for example Quantiloop could be used in live performance - while at the same time having - for example a MacBook or laptop attached  - running a DAW/ ableton, backing track players - or just HELIX edit.    I often find myself in situation where i'd love to be able to have both iPad AND my Mac connected at the same time to the HELIX as my one and only audio interface - but currently have to choose between one or the other.  This is clearly a very hard thing to implement technically but something that would be great boon.  I use both iPad AND  a PC - and want both attached to my HELIX.  And currently using an iConnectivity type box can't solve this.

• Upvote 1

My whislist:

1) New reverbs (Big sky is the limit : )

2) Better control over the delays and reverbs EQ

3) EQ visualisation! This is a must have, at least in Helix Edit! Please!

4) Diezel VH4 amp

5) New compressors for even longer sustains

Thank you line6, you rock!

1 - Dedicated volume knob  assignable to the USB 1/2  audio input or a specific pair of analog return pairs  ( for plugging in a music player or external stereo source to be mixed with whatever is in the patch.

[...]

8 - extender socket to allow a second "extender" SCRIBBLE STRIP foot controller unit to be attached to the HELIX in order to add more stomps. 

[...]

11 - add a second USB type B  socket to allow BOTH an iPad or iOS device  AND a PC/Mac to be connected at the same time to the HELIX - so that for example Quantiloop could be used in live performance - while at the same time having - for example a MacBook or laptop attached  - running a DAW/ ableton, backing track players - or just HELIX edit.  

[...]

What if a Helix Controller (or the Helix-II equivalent) could be plugged into a Helix Floor and instead of acting like the sole controller for a Helix Rack? It could act like an extended set of controls for the Helix Floor. The volume knob could be assigned to a specific set of outputs, the footpedals could be stomps 13-24 (with scribble strips), and if it has its own USB, it could be utilized as a second USB port.

(I don't own the Helix Controller, so I'm not sure what it's equipped with, but assume that the Helix-II equivalent could do everything I mentioned, and that it can replace a broken guitar string during a performance.)

• Upvote 1

If I wanted wireless for my guitar processor there are many options available now and many more options coming down the pike. I'd rather keep the guitar processor a "guitar processor" and not another Ronco "it slices- it dices" everything else kitchen sink too product. This add everything idea takes away from its real purpose (and memory availability for added guitar sounds and amps later). There is only so much available memory for extra stuff, and I'd rather that be used for future FX and tones. Yea I know it does a lot already in this regard . Size wise, Pretty soon we will have all these adds available in our eyeglasses.  ;)

• Upvote 3

I REALLY don't wish for any new model of the Helix to come out right now since it's only been out for around two years and still being upgraded with new effects, amps and stuff. But I believe it would be beyond awesome if a helix unit could supply power to pedals like TC Electronic did with the G-system. The helix is FAR better than that if you ask me but still, If the helix is designed to co-work with other pedals on a pedalboard then let's make it all the way :)

I tried many gear pieces and I really don't believe that there's ANY floor based guitar processor better than the Helix right now. I believe Line 6 should put up a fight to keep it on that spot.  :D  :D  :D

My whislist:

1) New reverbs (Big sky is the limit : )

2) Better control over the delays and reverbs EQ

3) EQ visualisation! This is a must have, at least in Helix Edit! Please!

4) Diezel VH4 amp

5) New compressors for even longer sustains

Thank you line6, you rock!

Talkbox / Vocoder would be fun.  

These are things that can be handled in the current Helix with a firmware upgrade in Helix I.

• Upvote 1

might be wishful thinking... just with the LT not having a mic input.. they might think thats a limited use...

no reason it couldn't work, but i know they are trying hard to unify the products..... so they dont have a bunch of different scenarios like they did with the pod hd stuff.

i don't know anything either way.... just suggesting a possible reason i don't think it will come quickly.

I'm also expecting those on current Helix, man ;-)
Am I too optimistic perhaps?

• 2 years later...

Update looper to include use of second pedal to stop loop with momentary press and clear it when holding pedal down.  Allow multiple undos in the reverse order of overdubs.  Add parameters to allow fading of loop when stop pedal is pressed.  Increase loop time to ~80 seconds.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, screvenc said:

Update looper to include use of second pedal to stop loop with momentary press and clear it when holding pedal down.  Allow multiple undos in the reverse order of overdubs.  Add parameters to allow fading of loop when stop pedal is pressed.  Increase loop time to ~80 seconds.

Better yet, include all but the second pedal part in a fw update for all helix models!  :-)

But yes, if not, then helix 2 feature request makes sense.

10 hours ago, screvenc said:

This really is starting to feel like “Groundhog Day”.

May I suggest that a little research is your friend.

I guess that you didn’t bother check any prior threads, for example - like this one!

or this,

Plus all the other threads.

Hope this helps/makes sense!

Interesting thread, but nothing that would compel me to upgrade, and no issues I couldn't find alternate solutions for.

When Helix was released I was using a HD500x. The compelling case was testing the Helix in a music store and hearing/feeling the difference immediately.

It took me 6 months to be able to afford to upgrade - but I absolutely knew I 'needed' one, as it was such a step-wise improvement.

• Upvote 1

In an alternate universe DI has created the ultimate low cost wireless in a Helix design with "modeled wireless" units for different sounds.  From first Sampson wireless with the slight breakup ability to the 2078 Line 6 creative cloud wireless and beyond.  Man I just killed the wireless dream - please don't flame me. 

Now on a more serious note I was offered a substantial amount of capital for almost all my gear.  So I just received the Limited Edition Helix in Space Gray and must say it feels like Helix II in that the darn thing is clearer and boots extremely fast.  I did have an early release of the Helix that was part of the gear I parted with so maybe DI can weigh in and let me know if the LE Helix is slightly different under the hood.  Seriously the thing just smokes.  ... But not to totality steal the thread ... I would like to see the top grade modeler be just that - a top grade Helix II and it's own piece of the musicians every greater dream of finding "that tone".  Yet as I type this I really can't find anytime wrong with what Line 6 has accomplished with the Helix.  Maybe more CPU and a slightly longer path chain with 14 buttons ... that's my dream and I'm sticking to it.

Dennis

14 hours ago, waymda said:

Interesting thread, but nothing that would compel me to upgrade, and no issues I couldn't find alternate solutions for.

When Helix was released I was using a HD500x. The compelling case was testing the Helix in a music store and hearing/feeling the difference immediately.

It took me 6 months to be able to afford to upgrade - but I absolutely knew I 'needed' one, as it was such a step-wise improvement.

I agree. I've been a "Line 6" boy since the XT owning that, the X3 and HD500X. The Helix was what I've been looking for. If they do improve on it, I'm not so sure it would be a significant enough improvement to justify spending the money for it. Maybe if it had a better tuner (Just funnin').

• Upvote 1

I'd be down for a curve eq of some kind like you get in a daw like Fab Pro EQ or something.  Probably wouldn't work very well on the unit itself, but pair it with a laptop for the interface or something.  Boom. 

I guess line 6 would need to decide just how far they want to push something like a helix. 

I can kind of see things moving away from amps and our traditional way of thinking totally, and becoming more computer based at some point in the near future.  I think it'll eventually come down to just having a really high quality interface and driving everything from a laptop and a foot controller to switch fx/patches, but maybe I'm crazy.  

Stuff could be pretty compact though with that route, and you could in theory do stuff like line things up with a click and automate fx turning off and on if you need that.  Pair it with other plugins and vst's you already have on a laptop.. make it a one stop shop for all things and not just guitar/bass.  like more compressors, limiters, processing.   Almost like a live version of an apollo interface.  Make it so you get the dsp from the helix internals PLUS the shared processing power of your laptop which would in theory get better over time as computers get better.  

Maybe i'm thinking too far out of the box for the masses though... but I think that workflow could be really super powerful. 

edit:  yes... after thinking about it some more.  What we need is basically a crossbreed between a helix and an apollo interface.   I have no doubt that's the future.  dsp sharing with a computer.  No longer being bound to only the dsp of the unit itself.  Being able to use DAW plugins along with your helix for a live situation.  That opens up a whole new world, and line6 would be at the center of it.   

You could basically have multiple channel strips on your computer much like UAD has.  Just throw in your Helix Native into one slot.  Your favorite daw eq plugin into another.  Favorite daw reverb into another etc...  add VST's for more versatility beyond guitar.    Have a separate floorboard for switches/wah.  The possibilities are huge.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dogaral said:

Hi first post!  This thread is scaring me a bit.  I just bought a Helix LT - seems absolutely amazing and deep and I'm only just starting with it now.

It isn't obsolete, is it?

Nope. Not in any way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dogaral said:

Hi first post!  This thread is scaring me a bit.  I just bought a Helix LT - seems absolutely amazing and deep and I'm only just starting with it now.

It isn't obsolete, is it?

Oh definitely not obsolete

Wishlist threads are just for musings and speculations amongst users.  They don't mean anything.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, firehawkkwah said:

It's exactly this fear of obsolescence which has prevented me from getting an LT.

It's just been quite a few years since it came out and that worries me.

Whatever comes out next, whenever it is, will also be obsolete a few years later. That applies to the entire consumer electronics industry. Based on that reasoning one would never buy an electronics product, because there is always something better on the horizon.

Having said that, there are still several years of life in the Helix lineup.

• Like 1