Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wishlist for Helix II

kensington

21 minutes ago, firehawkkwah said:

It's exactly this fear of obsolescence which has prevented me from getting an LT.

It's just been quite a few years since it came out and that worries me.

If you wait long enough, I suppose it's a self-fulfilling prophesy...

There really isn't going to be any sort of replacement product for the Helix for quite a while. It's certainly not a matter of a few months.

Music gear is a bit different when it comes to being obsolete vs an xbox. 

1.  can you get a pro sound now - yes.  then it's still good

2.  is it still supported with the current OS, and probably will be supported for the next 5-10 yrs.  Yes.  It's still good.

As long a you can get a pro quality sound with something, and it still runs on newer operating systems then it's not obsolete. 

I don't see support being discontinued for a looong time on the helix.  I do think the Helix II should take a drastically different approach like I outlined above though to separate itself from the ever growing pack of modellers.

I have a good strategy against fear of obsolescence:

Take the manual and go to the pages where the amps, fx etc. are listed. Then take one item of this list that you are curious about. Start a web search and find out what the real world device does, how it is supposed to be used and how players use it in real life. Then take your guitar and Helix device and start experimenting.
When you're done think about how good the real device is modeled and how easy and without spending extra money or purchasing time you could achieve these results. 
Then take a pencil and check off that item from the list. The next day you can pick another and start again.

This will help you appreciate / focus on what you have instead of what you don't have.

As a side effect your patch creating skills, your understanding of tone tools and signal paths as well as you ear will improve.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

I have a good strategy against fear of obsolescence:

Take the manual and go to the pages where the amps, fx etc. are listed. Then take one item of this list that you are curious about. Start a web search and find out what the real world device does, how it is supposed to be used and how players use it in real life. Then take your guitar and Helix device and start experimenting.
When you're done think about how good the real device is modeled and how easy and without spending extra money or purchasing time you could achieve these results. 
Then take a pencil and check off that item from the list. The next day you can pick another and start again.

This will help you appreciate / focus on what you have instead of what you don't have.

As a side effect your patch creating skills, your understanding of tone tools and signal paths as well as you ear will improve.

I like that!  So we should be able to appreciate and keep using happily what we have now for as long as we want to (assuming it keeps working), for years and years and years, I suppose.

I really like that attitude.  thanks

2 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

It's exactly this fear of obsolescence which has prevented me from getting an LT.

It's just been quite a few years since it came out and that worries me.

Let me save you the suspense..."the next big thing" is always just around the corner at this point. If not from Line 6, then it'll come from somewhere else. Technology evolves much faster than it used to back in the day...and if anything, that pace will probably increase as time goes on. So if this is your only yardstick, you'll never buy anything.

Forget about it... if a particular device suits your needs, you want it, and you've got the $$ to pay for it, then buy it and enjoy it. Life is short. If "X" is good today, it doesn't become a useless pile of crap tomorrow merely because some new toy makes it's debut.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dogaral said:

So we should be able to appreciate and keep using happily what we have now for as long as we want to (assuming it keeps working), for years and years and years, I suppose.

Earlier this year I actually dug out the Boss SE-50 that I bought used back in 1992 and that was gathering dust for the past 20 years in my studio, and I began to use it again as my "guitar amp modeler" for some band rehearsals, being lazy to carry my Fender Blues Deluxe 1993 to their rehearsal room every week. The SE-50 is limited in many ways when looking at it in 2020, but right now it still worked all right for what I needed to do with it. After I have put in a new buffer battery, that is.

Then a buddy told me about Line 6 and their Helix stuff.

So I bought an HX Stomp a few weeks ago. It's frickin' amazing. Being also a bassist, I'm now using it for bass guitar as well. I never had such a great bass sound before, no matter where I plug it into. (Nope, I'm not using any of the factory presets, just my own custom stuff ;)

If I'll still be using it in 2048, then Line 6 really did a damn good job. Hm. I'd be 81 by then… :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

Earlier this year I actually dug out the Boss SE-50 that I bought used back in 1992 and that was gathering dust for the past 20 years in my studio, and I began to use it again as my "guitar amp modeler" for some band rehearsals, being lazy to carry my Fender Blues Deluxe 1993 to their rehearsal room every week. The SE-50 is limited in many ways when looking at it in 2020, but right now it still worked all right for what I needed to do with it. After I have put in a new buffer battery, that is.

Then a buddy told me about Line 6 and their Helix stuff.

So I bought an HX Stomp a few weeks ago. It's frickin' amazing. Being also a bassist, I'm now using it for bass guitar as well. I never had such a great bass sound before, no matter where I plug it into. (Nope, I'm not using any of the factory presets, just my own custom stuff ;)

If I'll still be using it in 2048, then Line 6 really did a damn good job. Hm. I'd be 81 by then… :D

oh cool!  I'm a bassist too - and am trying to figure out what to use as a powered speaker for this.  So far I have a behringer b112d I think it is - the "1000 watt", which I was told is actually more like a couple hundred watts continuous - as a speaker.  Honestly, it cost me $100 used and sounds incredible for both bass and guitar, but I am only using it at home so far.

My concern isn't so much sound quality - because I can eq I think to compensate for the speaker, I hope - but I'm more concerned about how bass will work with this up loud enough for rehearsing (without bass in PA) and gigging (with bass in pa also).

But I think that's another thread topic :-) 

Anyhow - glad I'm not the only guy using it for bass and guitar!  Wishlist for helix II though - hm.... keep up with everything the helix LT can do.

I bought mine instead of either a kemper or axe fm3 because it seemed like a better device as a bassist than the axe (far more bass centric stomps/amps/cabs), and I don't think I'd like to use the kemper daily because it's flow seems less fun for the way I like to do things.  So far - it's faaaaaar exceeded my expectations.  But yea I've used other older /cheaper modelers for years and real amps and they all can get you there, just the helix blows them all away.