Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ordered HD500X.Now Arrived

Old-Rocker

What were they playing it through?

They played it through 2 Active 1 x15" Peavey's,sounded horrendous.Then a single x 1x12" Yamaha DBR12",sounded better,but still unusable(to me).

To my deaf old ears the factory Overdrive type,Helix patches sounded incredibly bad worse than the factory 500X patches,but the Helix cleans sounded much better than the Overdrive patches about on a par with the 500X.

To be fair,i didn't expect much else,the guys in the Shop obviously had no idea how to navigate either unit,i don't expect they have hours of time to sit around playing with these kind of products,without the Manager giving them stiff looks. ;)

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time with it...but once you get it set the way you like it, it's a great unit.

The things i have are time & patience,the thing i don't have is tech ability & although i couldn't dial in a GT100,i hope i'll fair better with the 500X,when it arrives.

I insisted on a New Boxed unit,i was never convinced the GT100 was as it should have been,least i hope not. :)

• Upvote 1

To be honest i don't know,i'd like to drag myself away from my 2 Combo amps on stage thinking & do whatever gives me the best results,if that means on stage monitors of some kind,that's what i'd like to get myself using.

We have a decent PA system,with which i should be able to get good performance from the 500X.

I've still got my old amp,so i don't have to rush into using the 500X,i have a feeling the transition from Guitar Amp to Monitor speaker(i really hesitate to use the term FRFR,i don't think they are :) )is going to be really difficult for me,a bit like convincing our Drummer to go with V-Drums,but some times even old people can drag themselves up to date,we'll see.

And thanks for the interest & encouragement.

I understand completely what you're going through.  I spent quite a long time thinking about making the transition from traditional amp and pedal setup to this new variation with the POD direct in to the mixer and a stage monitor.  Taking it live on stage was a HUGE step for me as well.  Fortunately there wasn't a huge rush to do it so I was able to get it where I needed to get it to before making the leap.

If you do decide to go with the FRFR setup I'd highly recommend the Yamaha DXR12.  I've finally gotten everything to the point that I absolutely love playing through it and I'm getting compliments weekly from my bandmates and soundman on my new patches for songs we've played for several years now.

Thanks,DunedinDragon.Our PA is a Yamaha DSR 2 x 115 & 2 x 118,so the DXR would be high on the list, :) .

Another obvious candidate is the L6 L2M,but i know zilch about L6 speaker a bit like i know zilch about the HD500X.

The Stagesource speakers are great. I use the L2T with the 500X...works well for me. I use it as a floor monitor for my stage volume, and run the POD straight to the PA.

The only caveat is that some of the earlier production runs had issues with the cooling fan, which would rattle like a jackhammer at certain frequencies with enough volume. It's since been redesigned, but if you happen to get one that's been sitting in a warehouse for a while, you might still run into the problem. L6 was very good about fixing mine, though it had to be done twice. Been problem free for about a year now.

Thanks,cruisinon2,how early in production,was it a problem?ie,roughly how long ago(i have no idea when they where introduced).

Also,I was back at the dealer Today,with our Bass player & by chance there was a guy playing through the Helix,which they had set up with different speakers

(Yam. 2 x12" DBR)x2.& the guy knew how to get through the Menus,in complete contrast to Yesterdays performance it sounded very impressive,he also played it into the effects loop of his own amp(Boogie MK IV)also sounded really good,it probably didn't do any harm that he was also an excellent player :) .

He used both the Modelled Pre-Amps & the Full Models into the Boogie,the full Models sounded a bit better than just the Pres,but there appeared to be more volume,with the Full Models,so maybe that needs balancing out before jumping to conclusions.

Just thought i'd add this for interest.

Thanks,cruisinon2,how early in production,was it a problem?ie,roughly how long ago(i have no idea when they where introduced).

Don't know, but it really doesn't matter anyway. It was a known issue, much discussed here on the forums. I waited almost a year after L6 announced the official remedy had been designed and tested before I bought mine, figuring that would be enough time to get one from a later production run...still got a bad one. There's no way to know how long the one you get sat in a warehouse, or some retail stock room. Units old enough to have the original fan design may or may not still be in the wild...

You may be able to call Line 6 with the serial number and ask them if it is post fix.

First you'll have to find a retailer that's willing to open up the box before they sell it to you, then sit it aside while you beg L6 for some insight into what parts may or may not be in the thing. Easier said than done...

Ordered a HD500X today :) ,despite the crappy sound from the dealer Dem(including the Helix) :(

Congrats! You have bought a very capable modeler. If you want to save a few bucks...I had very good luck with the Alto TS112a's which are $299 new. I owned a pair of QSC K12's and an Atomic CLR, and I would buy the Alto's again if I was going the FRFR route again. I'm very happy with my DT25. The perfect hybrid of modeling and tube.

• Upvote 1

"First you'll have to find a retailer that's willing to open up the box before they sell it to you, then sit it aside while you beg L6 for some insight into what parts may or may not be in the thing. Easier said than done... "

I did it with my DT50HD. I wanted to make sure it was made after the problems Brazzy ran into. It wasn't that hard to get someone on the phone to answer my questions. I've always had a good experience with the tech support people when I called them. But I did buy it first and made sure I called right away to ensure I could return it if it was one of the "batch that could have the problem". I told the folks where I bought it that I was going to do that and they were fine with it. 

• Upvote 1

Congrats! You have bought a very capable modeler. If you want to save a few bucks...I had very good luck with the Alto TS112a's which are $299 new. I owned a pair of QSC K12's and an Atomic CLR, and I would buy the Alto's again if I was going the FRFR route again. I'm very happy with my DT25. The perfect hybrid of modeling and tube.

Thanks.It was playing through a DT25 at the dealers that started me looking at L6,but i really don't want to get back into owning a Valve amp,but i have to agree,it's a great sounding Amp.

If i can get anything like that sound quality,from the 500X & whatever Amp/Monitor i end up with,it will be my last Guitar Amplification purchase,unless it dies before me :) .

I know this is the wrong section,but talking of the DT25,how do L6 get 25 watts out of 2 x EL84's,or have i got that wrong(again)

I know this is the wrong section,but talking of the DT25,how do L6 get 25 watts out of 2 x EL84's,or have i got that wrong(again)

I'm not sure but I suspect they're running plate voltages of over 400 volts.  The DT25 wouldn't be the first amp to hit 25 watts with 2 EL84s.

I'm not sure but I suspect they're running plate voltages of over 400 volts.  The DT25 wouldn't be the first amp to hit 25 watts with 2 EL84s.

Thanks,i'm just going by my old AC30's which where rated at 30watts with 4 x EL84's,most of the newer generation amps i've looked at with 2x EL84's seem to be rated at 18w.

So are they be running fairly hot?,i always thought my Vox's run hot enough.

Thanks,i'm just going by my old AC30's which where rated at 30watts with 4 x EL84's,most of the newer generation amps i've looked at with 2x EL84's seem to be rated at 18w.

So are they be running fairly hot?,i always thought my Vox's run hot enough.

Here's a thread...The plate voltage is somewhat high on these.

http://line6.com/support/topic/12419-my-dt-25-bias-info

Yay, jumped in then OR! I think you will enjoy it as you get used to it. There aren't many of us users this side of the pond so can I ask where you got it?

It was PMT Manchester

Here's a thread...The plate voltage is somewhat high on these.

http://line6.com/support/topic/12419-my-dt-25-bias-info

Thanks,i'll have a read.

Hi,Spaceatl.Thanks for the link,i now realise i have already read it,when i initially joined the forum,for info the DT25,i'm afraid to say it just re-confirmed my prejudice about buying another Valve Amp,the DT25 sounds really good,but i'm not getting back into Valves.

Which is why i i've gone with the 500X,in the hope that i can get a good enough performance from the Modeling with some kind of S.S. amplification.

Thanks.

Which is why i i've gone with the 500X,in the hope that i can get a good enough performance from the Modeling with some kind of S.S. amplification.

Thanks.

Well you definitely can. Personally, I'll take a clean Class D amplifier with enough headroom over A tube poweramp. No breakup at higher volumes for a more consistent sound

Well you definitely can. Personally, I'll take a clean Class D amplifier with enough headroom over A tube poweramp. No breakup at higher volumes for a more consistent sound

Hi,AlexKenival.I play in a 3 piece(old)Rock Band,playing the usual drivel from the 70's,have you used a Class D Amp & speakers,for gigs,?,if so which have you used,i'm really going to try & get the 500X to work through our Yam.PA,then think about on stage sound after.

In fact i'm just thinking about carting our 115 mids into the house,wife's nodded off on the settee,she might not notice,when she wakes up :D  

I've gigged with a Carvin DCM series poweramp and Carvin guitar cabs, but not my own PA monitor yet.

I have played direct into a pubs house PA as well but I can't remember what kind it was. I know there were 15s as well as 12s.

In that band, the music that I was playing was the usual drivel from the late 90s to early 00s (high gain/screaming) but it was a three piece as well (no other guitar sound to stand up next to) so things sounded fine