Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Audio Interface

jeebster

Hey everyone,

I've used the helix as an audio interface and, while excellent, I prefer to use a lower-latency dedicated interface to control monitor levels, use more mic preamps, etc. so I'll be purchasing a clarett 8pre in the near future. I'm curious as to what's the best approach for maintaining the highest quality sound of the helix going through another A/D conversion step...SPDIF? XLR? Any insight would be appreciated, cheers!

imho and experience, you won't hear the difference between an analog collection over XLR and any digital connection.

But... some prefer the analog connection because it adds some "shmutz" to the signal that makes it sound better... I can't hear the difference in anything I've used for about 5 or 10 years like this.

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about roundtrip recording latency via USB as to where the latency with thunderbolt will be under 1ms - I should've clarified that previously.

Here's a post I made a while back showing what I get for Helix's ASIO latency: http://line6.com/support/topic/16310-helix-as-audio-interface/?p=121025

I am a rank amateur when it comes to these things. I have a Scarlett2i2. Do you have a scematic/diagram for this kind of setup?

Scarlett 212 had no AES or SPDIF input. Balanced or unbalanced (I suggest balanced - but TURN OFF PHANTOM POWER) is your only connection, that or hook Helix up directly when you are using it.

• Upvote 1

imho and experience, you won't hear the difference between an analog collection over XLR and any digital connection.

But... some prefer the analog connection because it adds some "shmutz" to the signal that makes it sound better... I can't hear the difference in anything I've used for about 5 or 10 years like this.

Hey Pete,

I think you're correct about inaudible differences between connectors. For the most part, I think audiophilia is relative to the listener and often overemphasized when the majority of the world is listening to audio through basic audio devices. I just figured I'd ask for due-dilligence sake and to keep the audio elite of the world happy :)

Here's a post I made a while back showing what I get for Helix's ASIO latency: http://line6.com/support/topic/16310-helix-as-audio-interface/?p=121025

Thanks Duncan. I do think the helix performs well as a USB interface. I was using it as such for awhile but I need more mic preamps to record instruments and I'd like to centralize all xlr connections, thus the desire for an additional interface