Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Big Volume Knob

AZGuitar

I have been all over the place with this depending on the preset. Using a small mixer to Event Ref 8's I can have it at 3:00 and adjust on the board to room/taste. Just picked up a QSC K12 and it blows the house down unless I barely have the QSC vols up and the helix BVK at 9:00.

Where is yours at? Maybe I need a small passive mixer for the latter set up? Appreciate your feedback!

I set the Helix black knob master volume all the way up. XLR set to line level. Trim on my Mackie mixer to zero and fader at unity.

Then I adjust the Helix amp model channel volume so that the meters on the Mackie are at the top of the green, occasional yellow - never red.

Setting the amp channel volume doesn't effect the tone of the amp. And the meters on my mixer are just a starting point. The perceived listening volume can vary from what the meters are showing. Especially when switching between clean and distorted amp models.

I set the Helix black knob master volume all the way up. XLR set to line level. Trim on my Mackie mixer to zero and fader at unity.

Then I adjust the Helix amp model channel volume so that the meters on the Mackie are at the top of the green, occasional yellow - never red.

Setting the amp channel volume doesn't effect the tone of the amp. And the meters on my mixer are just a starting point. The perceived listening volume can vary from what the meters are showing. Especially when switching between clean and distorted amp models.

I need to try that.

Thanks for your suggestion oehman. I have a little behringer 1002 that I was able to blow the dust off and give it a shot. Thinking of taking the K12 back and ordering the L2T. The QSC is so loud I have it's vol on like 2. Anyone using the L2 with Helix that can share their experience?

Gotta say I thought more would chime in on where they had the large vol on Helix given the vast amount of presets and differences between each.

Handy tip (as some amps are apparently naturally quieter than others):

When you select the output for the patch on the editing screen you can click on that output block and adjust the entire patch's volume. You can level them all out to how you'd like them.

It seems a bit silly that line 6 didn't do this with their presets. The volumes are all over the place.

• Upvote 1

I think there are only 2 ways to adjust the overall volume of a guitar path without effecting tone: channel volume and output block volume. I always use channel volume because all you have to do is hit the amp button and the channel volume is instantly accessible. To get to the output volume you might have to push the joystick several times to get to the output block -And risk accidentally turning the joystick...

I haven't used a K12, but it looks like there are several factors that could boost the volume. Most noticeable, If you use the 1/4"/XLR input and have the switch set to microphone, but Helix output is set to line level, it's going to be a hot signal going in and the K12 is going to really boost it, making it crazy loud and possibly distorting it.

I have a L2M and really like it. It's my stage monitor for my guitar and vocals. The loudest I've had it on stage is about 1/2 volume. At 3/4 volume, it could blow your hair back!

Good point. I do have both the helix and the K12 set to line. If i change helix to mic out as fido suggested vs line it is not as hot but it really should be line for this application based on what I have read. If I had the K12 on 1/2 I'm sure most the neighbors would say WTF... :)

The L2M at 800 watts with built in mixer sounds like it might be better setup if your happy with the base, plus no hassle with the behringer.

• 6 months later...