Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 string guages

10s. so any sane person would set up the guitar with NY XL super light 9s :P

Mmm can't tell if sarcasm or not

I've had my jtv a month and it's time for some new strings, I usually play 9s but the tone of my jtv with 10s is really nice , I do a lot of string bends though and my manicure guy is gonna be screaming at me , will 9s be OK? Or do I just need to man up?

I've had my jtv a month and it's time for some new strings, I usually play 9s but the tone of my jtv with 10s is really nice , I do a lot of string bends though and my manicure guy is gonna be screaming at me , will 9s be OK? Or do I just need to man up?

Yes they are great and I bend a lot (I hate whammy bars). With the Floyd rose on the 89f it's like an Angels kiss. Not sure I played enough with the 10s to detect any tone differences (if there is its damn subtle) but I would rather have my fingers remain intact :)

Transitioning to a heavier gauge is just like weight training. Simply a matter of getting used to the increased tension. Don't over do it right out of the gate, or you might hurt yourself, but your hands will get stronger. After a while, you'll wonder how you ever played on the lighter gauge. I've been playing 11's for at least the last 15 years, with plenty of bending. 10's I can still play on if I had to, but 9's feel like cobwebs at this point.

Tonal differences are subjective of course, but I find that the heavier gauges definitely provide greater tuning stability, and a bit more sustain.

• Upvote 1

OK so this is a noob question as I've only ever played 9's but do heavier gauge strings tend to last longer ?

As I say been playing these tens about a month and they're still OK normally I have to change once a fortnight if I want them to feel nice

Finger picking is easier too , as I'd expect if I'd actually ever thought about it I suppose

OK so this is a noob question as I've only ever played 9's but do heavier gauge strings tend to last longer ?

Nope...longevity has more to do with how much you tend to perspire when you play, whether or not you wipe the strings down at the end of each session, and to some extent, the relative humidity where the guitar is stored. Strings will eventually corrode just sitting there, even if they're never played. Though as Charlie said, the heavier gauges tend to break less. I hardly ever break strings anymore. Couldn't tell you how long it's been.

Elixir Nanoweb coated strings last considerably longer than anything else I've ever tried...a normal set of strings will last me a week, maybe 10 days if I'm lucky. I can get 5 or 6 weeks from the Nanowebs...well worth the extra few bucks per set.

If you are on the fence I love DAddario hybrids 9.5s...

Minimal if any adjustments needed, heavier tone than 9s....

And being that I'm a player that plays light and uses my playing and playing muting to articulate my volume these strings work great for bends, harmonics and thump...

I play a longer scale, 24 fret guitar as my main guitar and I switched from 9s to 9.5s years ago as 10s will kill you on these types of guitars...

I also play a silver burst epiphone custom that I have played 10s on due to its short scale, but putting 9.5s on this makes for a even transition without the subtle tension changes that happen when I switch guitars....

As soon as my dang Perloid Pickguard gets in for my JTV69 I'll be putting 9.5s on it when I do a full setup on it

I also bought a Esp designed trem stabilizer to install on it to keep it coming to a zero point when I use the trem...

I've been waiting for the pick guard for three months now, it was ordered throu a third party from Line 6.... Irritated as hell... I want my pick guard!!!!

Venting... Sorry... 9.5s are a great option

I agree, getting used to it is the option, SRV played 13s and killed his frets, how he stayed in tune is beyond me, but he also played Eb and had to get his main guitar neck replaced an fretted with bass frets after a while...

And he used to bleed playing too...

His Caluses must have been monsters !!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm running 11-49s on my JTV59. I saw one thread where going to heavier strings could cause problems on modeling with the low E and A strings ??

But this guy advises 11s http://blog.line6.com/2013/2061/

The only way I can see the string gauge causing problems is if you change gauges and don't set up the guitar properly, resulting in fret-buzz, intonation issues, etc. I put 11's on mine straight out of the box, almost without playing a note...yes, I fiddled with it enough to know that the thing worked of course, but 3 minutes later, the 10's were gone. Never caused any problems.

The only way I can see the string gauge causing problems is if you change gauges and don't set up the guitar properly, resulting in fret-buzz, intonation issues, etc. I put 11's on mine straight out of the box, almost without playing a note...yes, I fiddled with it enough to know that the thing worked of course, but 3 minutes later, the 10's were gone. Never caused any problems.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback.