Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 500x. How To Calibrate Expression Pedal 2?

Morelie

How to calibrate Expression Pedal 2 on POD HD 500X? It s possible or not?

I use line 6 ex-1 pedal,

When controlling the volume and effects, used only part of the range of the pedal and it is very inconvenient.

Pedal is fully working.  I tested it on the my POD X3 Live.

Are you using a pedal with the proper impedance?  You might, from the sound of it, have the wrong Ohm value on the expression pot.  Or you might want to try turning the whole pot in the pedal to get the range where it sweeps from toe to heel with no dead zone.  

I vaguely remeber having read that the external pedal can be calibrated just like the internal pedal.

Unless you already did this you probably need to lookup the pedal calibration procedure or search for a member contribution.

Good luck.

If you take a look here you can read that there is no calibration process for pedal 2. It only reacts concerning its impedance.

http://line6.com/support/thread/51878

So if the pedal is suited (I think so because it works with your X3 - just try it), all you can do is to edit the fx parameters e.g. MIN/MAX values for volume or whatever.

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for answers!

I decided not to puzzle over this and solved problem in another way. I took my old volume pedal and insert it to FX loop.  :)  And i'm happy, volume adjusts very smoothly.

• 11 months later...

Someone cam help me, I actualize my flash memory and my expression pedal stop to work. What can i do? (POD HD500X)

You need to do a global settings reset after updating the flash memory. http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-hd/after-pod-hd500x500-flashre-flashupdate-man-r160

You can also re-calibrate the expression pedal: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/pod-hd500xhd500-pedal-calibration-r161

I believe the only pedal that will work for EXP 2 with the POD HD 500X,  is the Line 6 Mission EP1-L6 pedal.

No Calibration.  I use EXP 2 as a Volume Pedal.  EXP 1 is my expression pedal for WAH (EXP TOE SWTICH= ON), or other Pedals for Mix, etc.

If I have maxed out on DSP, I will use EXP 2 to control the AMP CHANNEL volume.  All this is done in Controller.

dH

i could be wrong i suppose... but pretty sure that expression 2 is analog and entirely dependent on having the right pedal...

if you have some non line6 pedal that doesn't work... it was never meant to... and no... you cant simply calibrate it...

if on the other hand you have the ex1 from line6 you may have a pedal problem.... (or its mission engineering big brother)

"I believe the only pedal that will work for EXP 2 with the POD HD 500X,  is the Line 6 Mission EP1-L6 pedal"

The Roland EV-5 works fine as long as the minimum volume knob is set to 0 - any other value and it doesn't work so well.

the only line6 supported pedal is the EX1, the mission pedal is supported by mission... all other pedals and you're on your own... some work, some don't... but none can be calibrated with the pod... you'd have to physically adapt the hardware in some manner to do any sort of calibration... to give the pod what it wants.

• 4 weeks later...

An EX-1 is a Line 6 approved pedal. Mine had a lot of dead space as I moved the pedal form heel to toe before the wah started to activate. I cannot find anyway to calibrate it except manually. That means, take the bottom of the pedal off with 4 screws. Take off the cardboard separator, Keep the pedal connected. Assign the pedal to wah. Move the pedal with your hand from the heel position to where you can hear the wah starting to activate. Loosen the allen screw that is securing the pedal to the pot. Move the pedal back to heel. Tighten the allen screw back to the pot. Now your pedal will start the wah without all the dead space.  

Before you do this are you sure that it is not just the audible changes as a result of the wah effect rather than pedal movement.  The pedal movement should give a range of control values from 0% to 100% as a controller, and it seems to me that the process above will compromise this.

On an HD500 as per page 3.8 and 3.9 in the Advanced Guide if you double press Move you see the Expression Assignment for the effect.

This allows you to set the points in the effect parameter range that are equivalent to minimum (heel) and maximum (toe) pedal positions and is how you supposed to make adjustments to the range. So if the Wah effect "does nothing" for the first 30% of movement (actually it is effecting frequencies that are not present) change the Minimum Value to 25% or so to get rid of the "dead space".

The Wah effects have a very wide range and depth by default it, so is normal to have to restrict this range down quite a lot and also to reduce the mix in order to get to a usable Wah effect that is more what you might have expected.  This is not a flaw of Line 6 modelling the pedals badly, but rather them providing a "super range pedal" that has to adjusted back to being a "normal pedal"

The Wah effects have a very wide range and depth by default it, so is normal to have to restrict this range down quite a lot and also to reduce the mix in order to get to a usable Wah effect that is more what you might have expected.  This is not a flaw of Line 6 modelling the pedals badly, but rather them providing a "super range pedal" that has to adjusted back to being a "normal pedal"

Really... just like all the wonderful EQ's provided in percent rather than frequencies. :P

I have adjusted the EXP range on many patches to fairly narrow to get a realistic "throw" like a real wah pedal.

I think the wah's are pretty bad on the HD500... they were better and easier to setup on the XT Live... at least for me. ;)

I know, I know... I should just get a really wah pedal. <_<