Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't get rid of fizz!

alistair888

Hi everyone,

Loving the Helix, and I've only had it a couple of days. There's only one issue that I've noticed - the high gain amplifiers create a lot of fizz, especially when palm muting. I've tried Padding the guitar in the settings menu, but nothing helps. Can anyone suggest any tips in getting rid of it? I've tried lowering the gain and boosting the master volume on the amp models, but it doesn't really help either. Thank you!

There's lots of things you could try. Lowering the gain you've tried. Don't know if you really want to boost the master volume, but maybe. That won't really do anything for fizz. Use the hi-cut parameter on the cab or IR; put it around 10Khz, or even less, which will help a lot. If that's not good enough, you can try putting a hi-cut EQ after the cab/IR, this hi-cut is slightly different than the cab's. Use the low-cut too, which can help balance things. Mess around with the BIAS parameter of the amp. There's always going to be some sort of fizz present as it's part of the tone. When listened to with the rest of the tracks going, a lot will disappear.

Still having issues. It's not the same issue as was mentioned on the facebook post. It's a sound I can hear whilst playing, it's not a 'ghost reflection' as someone has called it. I can hear it more on the thicker strings, almost like a harmonic on top of the note I'm playing, but not in a nice way. I don't get it at all with any of the clean patches.

I'm not great with describing tonal issues, but when you said it's like a harmonic on top of the tone I felt we had a similar issue. I was thinking that it was the audio clipping. I haven't quite figured out how to get rid of it, but it seems to come and go when I add more gain to the patch ie stompbox or a higher gain amp. I have the issue on relatively low gain patches.

I'm not great with describing tonal issues, but when you said it's like a harmonic on top of the tone I felt we had a similar issue. I was thinking that it was the audio clipping. I haven't quite figured out how to get rid of it, but it seems to come and go when I add more gain to the patch ie stompbox or a higher gain amp. I have the issue on relatively low gain patches.

Yeah, it's almost as if the guitar is clipping when it goes in to the amp model. Really strange. I'll try to record it later, see what everyone thinks. It might just be something I'll need to live with...

Hi if you are only using an amp with no cab I have found that the fizz as you call it is rather severe I call it digital gain and it isn't pleasant

I also suggest that you check your out volume at the end of the blocks if that's too high I have also got the fizz but all and all this devise delivers in spades love it

if it works like in the HD series, that ghost note phenomenon can be tamed by simply lowering the HUM parameter value..

HUM is based on a fixed frequency (60 or 50 Hz) which interacts with the frequencies of the notes played, creating an effect vaguely similar to a ring modulation..

several real amps behave that way, and if you monitor their miked tone with headphones, the ghost note phenomenon can become a bit too apparent and annoying..

That's exactly what it must be! I've been using headphones exclusively so far (plugging it in my amp tomorrow at a band rehearsal) and it's just something I've never noticed before. I was really surprised, but I guess it's just something I'll need to get used to, with headphones at least. Thank you!