Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix > DT Amps- Are you using Preamp, Amp, or Amp +Cab models?

gtrman100

After a go round with FRFR and using my DT25, I've settled on using the DT amp for a more traditional guitar setup.

I've set up midi to change topologies, and Helix using the Amp models without cabs. I've disabled the preamp models in the DT. Line 6 recommends using Preamp only models, but I find they don't sound right, as they did with my HD500. They sound less real and more sterile to me.

What amp model types are you using that you are satisfied with?

After a go round with FRFR and using my DT25, I've settled on using the DT amp for a more traditional guitar setup.

I've set up midi to change topologies, and Helix using the Amp models without cabs. I've disabled the preamp models in the DT. Line 6 recommends using Preamp only models, but I find they don't sound right, as they did with my HD500. They sound less real and more sterile to me.

What amp model types are you using that you are satisfied with?

same here. I much prefer the full amp models over the preamps...

I'm also using full amps through L6-Link.

Only I disabled the Cab on the Dt and use the Helix cabs.

I can't say I really compared them intensively but the Helix Cabs should be better.

A lot of people were compaining about the HD cabs and I do believe they had a point.

The cab is a BIG part of any tone so I go for the Helix cabs

Not using any cab is also an option, since the Dt already has a real cab but I believe the DT cab/speaker is designed to be used with cab sims. I mean if you get the sound you want without any, then that's great but using cab sims does give you more options to build your tone, especially if you're  after a specific sound that uses a specific amp-cab combunation.

Anyone test what comes out of the XLR out on back of DT when using Helix amp and cab? I will finally be able to start digging in with my Helix this week! A bit late to the party, but fashionably so. And, here comes NAMM, fingers crossed for a cool new Helix update.. :)

I'm also using full amps through L6-Link.

Only I disabled the Cab on the Dt and use the Helix cabs.

I can't say I really compared them intensively but the Helix Cabs should be better.

A lot of people were compaining about the HD cabs and I do believe they had a point.

The cab is a BIG part of any tone so I go for the Helix cabs

Not using any cab is also an option, since the Dt already has a real cab but I believe the DT cab/speaker is designed to be used with cab sims. I mean if you get the sound you want without any, then that's great but using cab sims does give you more options to build your tone, especially if you're  after a specific sound that uses a specific amp-cab combunation.

So, in other words, you are using Amp + Cab models in the Helix, not just the Amp models. I haven't tried it, but since there is already a real speaker in the DT amp, adding another cab simulation seems to be redundant. So far, just tweaking the amp models to sound good with the Celestion G12H-90 (which is supposed to be neutral sounding) seems to be working pretty well. Did you find the Cab models to really improve the realism?

before i had my FRFR, in did full amp no cab, but global eq'ed a whole bunch of harsh mid to upper mids and cutoff at around 7000. 

I have an Egnater 40 with a Celestion 50.  Very upper mid and high end responsive, more than I thought it would be. 

I do have a studio monitor set-up too.  I would A/B the tone of a cab to monitors, vs no cab to Egnater and got really close.  Good enough for live, when a room has more influence on the tone then the difference I had.

I didn't do 4 cable, I did full Helix into the effects return. 

So, in other words, you are using Amp + Cab models in the Helix, not just the Amp models. I haven't tried it, but since there is already a real speaker in the DT amp, adding another cab simulation seems to be redundant. So far, just tweaking the amp models to sound good with the Celestion G12H-90 (which is supposed to be neutral sounding) seems to be working pretty well. Did you find the Cab models to really improve the realism?

I'm not really sure, to be honest.

I have tried the DT without cab sims a couple of times with the HD500(X) and dind't really like it

I really think it needs a cab sim but again, whatever gets you hot is good!

I guess I will experiment using the DT without a cab sim sometime again, just to be sure!