Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any Way to Vary Volume of iPad Playing Through Helix USB Via Camera Kit

GeeTah

Good morning,

I would like to run my iPad through my Helix to be able to play along with tracks and rehearse.  Via the helpful advice I received via another thread here in the L6 Helix Community (http://line6.com/support/topic/15619-helix-no-input-mp3cd-¿why/) I purchased the iPad camera kit to be able to connect it to the Helix via USB.

It works perfectly, other than there does not appear to be a way to vary the iPad volume going through the Helix using this method: (1) The iPad volume control is disabled when using a USB interface and (2) there doesn't appear to be a way to vary the input volume on the Helix for an audio source being received into the Helix via the USB input (so as to control in the volume of the iPad audio signal  via the Helix input).

Question:

Am I missing something - or is it true that there is no way to vary the iPad input volume with an input level control on Helix?

Any insight here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bradley GT

• Upvote 1

This might solve this issue of "No volume control when using "USB AUDIO" mode with Helix on  IOS devices"

Free
Equalizer PRO - Music Player with Volume Booster, Sound Effect and Visualizer Music

screen322x572.jpeg
Use the Slider on the far left for volume adjust of Music on your iPad / iPhone when connected to Helix via Apple USB Camera Adapter. 

This might solve this issue of "No volume control when using "USB AUDIO" mode with Helix on  IOS devices"

Free
Equalizer PRO - Music Player with Volume Booster, Sound Effect and Visualizer Music

screen322x572.jpeg
Use the Slider on the far left for volume adjust of Music on your iPad / iPhone when connected to Helix via Apple USB Camera Adapter. 

HI Steve,

Really appreciate your suggestion and I did download and try that - the volume is disabled when it's connected to the camera kit.  But, it's a cool app.

Again, thanks - but I'd still like to find another solution.

Bradley GT

Perhaps the reason for disabling the volume control when using the camera connection kit for USB audio is that it is expected the device is controlling the volume, and the iOS device is delivering a standard (near 0dBFS) signal to the device. Using the iOS device volume control send a less than optimal signal to the device, as well as be a redundant control.

Perhaps the reason for disabling the volume control when using the camera connection kit for USB audio is that it is expected the device is controlling the volume, and the iOS device is delivering a standard (near 0dBFS) signal to the device. Using the iOS device volume control send a less than optimal signal to the device, as well as be a redundant control.

Hi Bill and Amsdejb - thanks so much for your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

Unfortunately, in the case of Helix not having an internal method of increasing/decreasing the volume of the iPad input signal (when entering the Helix USB via the iPad with the camera kit) - combined with the iPad's also not being able to vary its output when using the camera kit... that definitely limits the situations where/when you can use the iPad for tracks via the Helix. I do understand that Helix is aiming to be more pro-level, hence the absence of the 3.5mm MP3 input as found on earlier Line 6 modeling platforms (X3, POD HD and HDX)...yet, I do think this is a bummer. I've used my Line 6 modelers for that purpose on stage numerous times, and also for silent practice with headphones, including backstage situations...

Thanks again.

Bradley GT

I do think that something should be done about this, i don't think it would be that difficoult to add the possibility to control the USB input level via software. There are many situation where it would be needed because you cannot control the level on the other side. Could be because there is phisically no level control ( CD decks, the example of Ipad and camera kit etc..) or  because you are practicing guitar with your helix but computer or any other source is far away, even in other rooms ( studios) and it would be frustrating to put down guitar, move to the source, change level, go back and check if it's right, guitar back, play and do it again next song that might have different level.. if you know what I mean..

• Upvote 1

I do think that something should be done about this, i don't think it would be that difficoult to add the possibility to control the USB input level via software. There are many situation where it would be needed because you cannot control the level on the other side. Could be because there is phisically no level control ( CD decks, the example of Ipad and camera kit etc..) or  because you are practicing guitar with your helix but computer or any other source is far away, even in other rooms ( studios) and it would be frustrating to put down guitar, move to the source, change level, go back and check if it's right, guitar back, play and do it again next song that might have different level.. if you know what I mean..

Agreed. Adding this capability would seem to be a software/firmware thing to my untrained way of thinking. What would be really cool is if the input level could be assigned to an expression pedal so that the level could be varied on the fly (ie on stage, rehearsal, in a house of worship setting, etc.).

Maybe it's time to post this on Ideascale.... Seems like a logical-enough idea to merit a look-see by the Helix development folks.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel that some support should definitely be added for use with iPod/iPad/Phone audio.

Just because this is a 'pro level' device it seems like a silly reason to omit a feature that so many used and found useful! I don't understand the line 'not appropriate' to include a 3.5mm jack input for mp3 players. Lots of people use Helix regularly to practice at home way more than they actually gig out with it. Why limit us with such an expensive piece of gear.

I hope that future firmware updates will either allow you to control the volume of iPad when connected via usb, or ideally allow you to select from a main menu to be able to use the AUX in input as an mp3 player and automatically route it to play the mp3 player alongside (but outside) of the guitar signal chain. Should be easily achieveable. 

• Upvote 2

I've found a workaround for this that works for me. I used returns 1/2 on the Helix to receive the audio from the 3.5mm out of my iPhone using a stereo Y cable with a right and left 1/4 inch. Then set the input for path 2 on the helix patch to receive the audio on input return 1/2. I was then able to set the audio volume on the iTunes track and play along through headphones using the phones volume control on the Helix to control the overall volume.

• Downvote 1

I've found a workaround for this that works for me. I used returns 1/2 on the Helix to receive the audio from the 3.5mm out of my iPhone using a stereo Y cable with a right and left 1/4 inch. Then set the input for path 2 on the helix patch to receive the audio on input return 1/2. I was then able to set the audio volume on the iTunes track and play along through headphones using the phones volume control on the Helix to control the overall volume.

yes i've used that option in the past. Trouble is you have to set up every patch you use with this extra path and routing option in order to use this method. Which is a bit of a pain. 

I've had to resort to just using my main computer/s to do this instead  and leave iPad for another day - when this has been fixed. 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2016 at 4:58 AM, GeeTah said:

Good morning,

I would like to run my iPad through my Helix to be able to play along with tracks and rehearse.  Via the helpful advice I received via another thread here in the L6 Helix Community (http://line6.com/support/topic/15619-helix-no-input-mp3cd-¿why/) I purchased the iPad camera kit to be able to connect it to the Helix via USB.

It works perfectly, other than there does not appear to be a way to vary the iPad volume going through the Helix using this method: (1) The iPad volume control is disabled when using a USB interface and (2) there doesn't appear to be a way to vary the input volume on the Helix for an audio source being received into the Helix via the USB input (so as to control in the volume of the iPad audio signal  via the Helix input).

Question:

Am I missing something - or is it true that there is no way to vary the iPad input volume with an input level control on Helix?

Any insight here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bradley GT

Not sure if someone else responded, but this is how I do it.

You can control the volume in the Global Settings ;In/Outs;USB In 1/2 Trim.... you can control the dB here, I am usually around -12dB with my Helix LT volume at 10, through headphones (and earplugs of course).

I use the same interface for my IPad Pro...works great for me.