Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speakers to run my Helix in stereo.

marikian

Hi everyone i have a music room that is 10x12 and want to buy some speakers to run my helix in stereo. I am thinking of QSC K8's but want ask advice from all of you. i am not going to play out but am looking for the best sound i can get in my room.   thanks

Most 8 inch near field monitors would work. Go to local store and test them out.

The K8s are very loud PA speakers. They may not sound good at lower volumes. They will probably sound too bright with missing low end. Not near as good as a studio monitor. I use 2 much lower power ALTO TS110A'S and they dont sound very good quiet. Great when cranked. My "cheap" Mackie MR8's sound fantastic and lower volumes.

All just educated guesses. I have not put a K8 next to a studio monitor and A/B'd them. This is all based on my ALTOs. Take the Helix down and give it a listen at a local store.

This thread might give you some options.

http://line6.com/support/topic/14434-what-sort-of-amp-speaker-to-use-with-a-helix/

I think the QSC 8" might not be the best choice for two reasons:

- they are too big/loud for an 8x10 room and may not perform well at low volumes. I think a 6" speaker would be better.

- they are not FRFR (full range flat response). FRFR studio speakers will perform better, especially if you plan to record in your room.

I highly recommend the Center Point Spacestation V3. I have one, and it is nothing short of amazing. I have also just ordered a Behringer B1200D-Pro sub to pair with the Spacestation, which should make this setup very versatile.

I encourage you to do a little research on the Spacestation. It must be heard to be believed.

I use a QSC K10 myself.  I have a set of the Behringer studio monitors but I really like the sound of the K10 better.  Especially when I use the flat switch.  It sounds great at low volume if I turn on the Bass boost switch and then my patches sound similar to what they will sound like when I am playing with my band.  I do find it easy to play to loud for the family though!

FedEx just dropped off a new Mission Engineering Gemini 2 from Sweetwater about 10 minutes ago....talked to both Mission and Sweetwater about this rig a lot before I ordered....they both swear it sounds great at low to loud levels....it was designed for modelers from the ground up....got the blue tooth option so can stream backing tracks from my phone or tablet....can't wait to get it home and try it out...will post a review in the next few days, if not tonight....this thing was pricey but am hoping it is truly the Holy Grail it's claimed to be....

• Upvote 1

djy thanks I rented 2 k10's and they did sound awesome. Do you think a pair of K8's would be better suited for a smaller room than K10's?

I didn't audition the K8s so it is hard to say.  I will say I have to turn the bass boost off as well as run a low cut filter when I play in a band situation but I love the bass I get in my 12x13 practice room with the bass boost on and the filter turned off.   Especially when I use the Redwirez Marshall 4x12 IR.  I am planning on getting another K10 to leave at our rehearsal space and perhaps use them both when I really want the rig to sound big  :)

What more can I add except it sounds phenomenal with the L6 link.....  STAGESOURCE

L2t and L2m 800-watt, two-way, bi-amped design

file_r17487.jpeg

file_r17487.jpeg

ONBOARD

DIGITAL MIXER (L2T) Your self-contained live sound solution.

StageSource L3t and L2t include an innovative digital mixer featuring everything you need to take control of your sound. Sweeten any vocal or instrument using the 3-band EQ with sweepable mid. Apply Smart Mod and Smart Reverb effects on each input channel to achieve studio-quality vocals on the stage. Use Line 6 acoustic guitar modeling to add depth and warmth to your acoustic guitar. The combination of effects, acoustic guitar modeling and best-in-class I/O make StageSource L3t and L2t the perfect all-in-one live sound solutions for musicians.

The two-way, bi-amplified design of L2t and L2m delivers exceptionally balanced, clean and articulate reproduction of live sources and pre-recorded material. A 1†exit high-frequency compression driver is matched to a precision-engineered, 100x50-degree, constant-directivity waveguide, which delivers consistent coverage to ensure everyone in the audience enjoys the same acoustic experience. 

The 100-degree horizontal dispersion is wide enough for solo use yet controlled enough for arrayed pairs. The 50-degree vertical coverage reduces acoustic smear from reflective sound surfaces, as minimal energy is reflected off of ceilings and floors.

ONBOARD ACOUSTIC

GUITAR MODELING Get the warmest, fullest live acoustic guitar sound possible.

We’ve spent years researching what makes guitarists sound great, and applied our knowledge and technology to next-generation speakers that deliver amazing tone for acoustic players. StageSource L3t and L2t are the only PAs that provide acoustic guitar body resonance modeling, giving your acoustic guitar impressive tone and body resonance

Most acoustic guitars feature piezo pickups, which transfer the vibration of the strings to your PA speaker—but miss the resonance of the wooden guitar body. So you get stuck with thin, bright sound. Only StageSource features Variax® acoustic body resonance modeling, giving your acoustic guitar the impressive tone it deserves.

file_r17487.png

file_r17487.jpeg

SPEAKER MODESFOR ANY PERFORMANCE An incredibly versatile system.

You can use six powerful DSP-based speaker modes to optimize the StageSource® output for a variety of performance scenarios. Onboard accelerometer and pole mount sensors automatically detect the speaker’s orientation and set the speaker mode accordingly.

Speaker Modes:

REFERENCE/PA

Reference/PA mode is for live sound reinforcement and features a flat frequency response, a 2.2kHz crossover frequen- cy and maximum low-frequency extension. This mode is the optimal reference setting, whether your cabinet is mount- ed on a tripod, on stage or installed as part of a larger multi-component system. Reference mode is also ideal for FRFR applications—it reproduces your tone with tremendous bottom-end accuracy, mid-range clarity, and just the right amount of top-end edge. And if you have a POD® HD500X or POD HD Pro X, you’ll experience perfect tone reproduction when you plug directly into the L6 LINKâ„¢ input for digital integration and select “Studio Mode.â€

PLAYBACK MODE

Playback mode is optimized for pre-recorded music. Functionally, Playback mode is similar to P.A. mode but includes an EQ curve that emphasizes extreme low and high frequencies, making it well-suited for playing back music from a CD or MP3 player, or for DJ applications.

FLOOR MONITOR MODE

Floor Monitor mode is automatically activated when the onboard accelerometer detects the unit is in a horizontal position (you can also manually override this setting). This mode provides a slight reduction in low-frequency content to counteract coupling when the speaker is placed horizontally on the stage. StageSource loudspeakers offer two built-in solutions for 30- and 60-degree monitoring angles achieved via dual integrated kickstands and a robust, retractable handle. When the speaker is in use, the kickstands and handle lock into secure, rattle-free positions.

KEYBOARD MODE

Keyboard Mode optimizes StageSource for use as a keyboard backline amplification system. This mode features a flat frequency response with a 3.5kHz crossover frequency, adding more relative energy to the cone and providing a warmer response that is pleasant for instruments. This mode also provides Virtual Tilt-back, which optimizes the speaker’s tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and aim the sound towards the performer.

ACOUSTIC GUITAR MODE

Acoustic guitar mode is optimized to provide a warm and balanced full-range amplification experience for acoustic instruments. This mode also features a 3.5kHz crossover frequency, with a custom-tailored low-frequency response to minimize “boominess†than can occur when amplifying acoustic instruments. Acoustic Guitar mode provides Virtual Tilt-Back, which optimizes the speaker’s tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and aim the sound towards the performer.

StageSource offers another benefit for acoustic performers—acoustic guitar modeling. Most acoustic-electric guitars utilize a piezo pickup that captures string vibrations but typically doesn’t convey the resonance of the guitar’s body. The acoustic modeling feature, based on Line 6® Variax® technology, supplements the piezo signal with a physical model of an acoustic guitar’s natural body resonance. The combination of the 3-way loudspeaker, acoustic modeling and feedback suppression make StageSource a powerful live sound solution for acoustic musicians.

ELECTRIC GUITAR MODE

Electric Guitar Mode was designed to accommodate the modern guitarist who uses a multi-effects floorboard device such as the Line 6 POD, primarily running into a tube power amp using the “Power Amp†output mode. Rather than sending the signal from the guitarist’s floorboard to an amplifier and then mic’ing the amp, this mode features an overall frequency response that emulates the sound of a 212 combo amp. The dual 10†speakers play full range, with the horn adding only the smallest amount of sparkle to the sound. Users of the Line 6 POD HD500X or POD HD Pro X can plug directly into the L6 LINK input for digital integration. This mode also provides Virtual Tilt-Back, which optimizes the speaker’s tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and aim the sound towards the performer.

applications

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2M$749.00

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2T$849.00

I do want to add that you don't need the L3t or L3m because the guitar freq don't go that low I know because I have tried it with mine and found unless you dive bomb or use a bass.

How did I know? because the three speakers in it are on a crossover and I thought that one driver on each of my speakers was not working until I was told about the crossover by Line 6 and then tried it myself.

As far as loudness it is extremely loud but also sounds just as good at low volume. I use 2  L2m's hooked up with the L6 Link.

Thanks Jamin do you think the line 6 lt2 would be nicer at low volumes than the QSC K10's pr K8's?

QSE an Mackie as far as that goes are great companies and make great speakers and yes they sound great, but the tech that is in the Line 6 speakers is IMHO superior and the L6 line with the digital connection is awesome. also the versatility of the "T" version with the built in mixer you can plug in another guitar or mike and use it without an external mixer. 

you really need the FRFR to get the best sound that said if your on a budget and it's for personal use in a small rm any decent studio monitors will sound great I have some M-Audio BX8-a's and they sound great with Helix too.

I bought a pair for Samson RSXM-12A full-range powered monitors and absolutely LOVE them! They're small, but sound amazing and you can't beat the price...$350 each. So, I've got a pair of small wedge monitors that sound way better than I could've hoped for considering the price point. Nothing I've seen can come close to the value for these excellent FRFR speakers and the Helix sounds HUGE through them at both low and cranking volumes.

Sweet!!! Definitely report back on that, I am interested how it sounds..

Waiting on the special cable this unit needs....Mission only makes it in a 3' length which is way to short for connecting to a floorboard like the Helix....they gave me the site of the company that makes the cables...called them and they are making me a 15' cable for the same price....really cool folks....hooked up the Gemini with a basic guitar cable and it sounds pretty good....will write a review once I've got the proper stereo cable, dual XLR to stereo 1/4" TRS, and put it through its paces....