Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Minimizing Tone Change when bypassing external pedal

Astacide

Hey guys,

I am set up using a few pedals in loops. To keep the tails on my delay, I am manually bypassing my delay manually and leaving the loop on for certain patches. I am noticing however, that there is a slight change to the tone of the guitar when the loop is on, even if the delay is bypassed. I have messed with the 'Dry Tru' and the mix on the return and the mix on the delay itself, but there seems to be a very faint chorus-y thing going on when the delay is switched off. I am generally pretty good at isolating these things, but I haven't had any luck getting rid of the tone change. I realize there will probably always be SOME, when using external pedals, but I didn't expect it to be so apparent. Any thoughts on what I may be missing?

So here's the problem. I am sending signal to my delay via send 3 and getting a stereo return from 3/4. A stereo return does not have the ability to enable trails. Seems like it would be an easy software patch to fix it. Hopefully it's in the next batch.

So here's the problem. I am sending signal to my delay via send 3 and getting a stereo return from 3/4. A stereo return does not have the ability to enable trails. Seems like it would be an easy software patch to fix it. Hopefully it's in the next batch.

Here's a solution...

Put Your Send/ Return block in a parallel path and mute the input of the send with a Volume Block...then the delays will trail as the Delay outputs will still be connected to the mixer

Here's an example...

send_rtn.jpg

Remember to Turn Your delay 100% WET so you don't mess up your dry signal with a phase shift.

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

• Upvote 2

Why not just use the FX Loop block rather than separate send and return blocks? Is your reasoning that you just need a mono send and a stereo return? I can see the logic in that, but everything in front of the loop is mono anyway with the tone you showed, so you wouldn't be losing any stereo information. You might find you want to bump the send level up to compensate. That way you can still keep the trails turned on.

• Upvote 1

Why not just use the FX Loop block rather than separate send and return blocks? Is your reasoning that you just need a mono send and a stereo return? I can see the logic in that, but everything in front of the loop is mono anyway with the tone you showed, so you wouldn't be losing any stereo information. You might find you want to bump the send level up to compensate. That way you can still keep the trails turned on.

Hi Phil,

Not having so much experience with the FX Loops I didn't realize that there was an FX loop option (I didn't scroll down past the Sends and the Returns in the FX selection :) )

send_rtn2.jpg

One less block than what I first designed... thank-you

seeya

Joe

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

Not having so much experience with the FX Loops I didn't realize that there was an FX loop option (I didn't scroll down past the Sends and the Returns in the FX selection :) )

send_rtn2.jpg

One less block than what I first designed... thank-you

seeya

Joe

I did the same thing :) I didn't notice there was a single block, stereo loop that has trails built in. Rock and rolling. Now to figure out how to do all my switching via MIDI data from my DAW....

In stead of using that Vol-Block you could just assign a Controller Assign to FX Loop-block, That only sends signal when engaged and everything is good! :) 
This way you godt need to have it in parallel either. Although any like this you could have a situation where it is not possible if you want other specific routings.