Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk "Cloud"

TriPPleX

it's a little irritating that you can use your computer to download patches for the HD500's, Helix, Digitech pedals and most other systems, so I've heard.

so why did I buy the Firehawk?  Why isn't it a super version of the HD500X?  Seems like you can do so much more with the HD500's.

I'm not complaining about my Firehawk, it is real nice.  Buttons are too close together and it still make bad sounds when changing from some patches to others.  But all in all, it's a real good $300US pedal..yea, I meant $300, I paid $450, I'm not sure it is totally worth that.

I think it just depends what kind of person you are, yes on paper the hd500 sounds awesome with all the routing options and twin amps etc , but I had one and found it so useless I sold it in 3 months , for my needs the firehawk is way better , and they never advertised it as superior to the hd500

It just seems like it was a stepping stone for the Helix and if the Helix wouldn't have come out so soon after the Firehawk, we would have PC editing and a few other features for online access.  It's OK editing from a bluetooth device, but I'm still trying to find my sound, so to speak, and searching, backing up, editing and moving tones isn't great from these devices.

It's a great pedal, but if the Helix was around $1000US and I hadn't bought the Firehawk, I would have bought a Helix :)  At least this way, I would have been better setup for future enhancements. 

it's a little irritating that you can use your computer to download patches for the HD500's, Helix, Digitech pedals and most other systems, so I've heard.

so why did I buy the Firehawk? Why isn't it a super version of the HD500X? Seems like you can do so much more with the HD500's.

Firehawk provides a different concept - compatibility with mobile devices. It (and the AMPLIFi series) is a direct response to many pod HD owners who were asking your question in reverse, namely "Why can't I use my iPhone to download and edit patches? I don't want a to have to carry my computer around everywhere."

The main reason people buy Firehawk instead of POD HD is for mobility. If you want to use mobile devices and Bluetooth, buy Firehawk. If you want to use computers and USB connections, buy POD HD. Firehawk is an alternative to POD HD - not better than POD HD. It wasn't designed to be 'a super version'.

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair to compare the FH or pod 500x to the Helix. Helix has a completely different and vastly superior computing engine if you believe the videos and reviews about it. I've never owned a pod but I've had many Lune 6 products, amps an M-9 and now my FH. The quality of the FH blows all that older stuff away, yet I am disappointed that it does not include some of the simplest features of that older M series, esp being able to tweak several parameters of a block simultaneously with one expression pedal!

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to access the damn cloud and download some decent patches

I have downloaded a few patches from the cloud that seemed to work well after a bit of tweaking. Some are from Line 6 others are from the cloud user group. If I play a song using Bluetooth from my device then select the "Match tone" feature, several similar tones appear in a list. They are reviewed as well with stars. I try some of these. They may not match at all but some are still nice so I store them in user locations on the FH. There is no special web site to download tones as you can do with other Line 6 devices (Amplifi). Just the Cloud

Five minutes of googling before you bought it would have told you it doesn't do that though... It's an entirely different thing really - I specifically DONT want to be tethered to a computer for tweaking, I always hated that aspect of multifx, so the FH's mobile, visual approach is perfect for me - I can use my iPad, my phone, whatever, and get my own stuff back from the cloud if I ever need to.

For what you may lose in sheer depth of settings you more than make up for in ease and speed.

Hey Kev I'm not a tweaker either but it seems a reasonable request to have an expression pedal do more than one thing at a time as it does with the M series multifx. For some solos I may want more gain, more reverb, more bass etc. simultaneously. It's just that I'll be doing more tap dancing than I did before!

Hey Kev I'm not a tweaker either but it seems a reasonable request to have an expression pedal do more than one thing at a time as it does with the M series multifx. For some solos I may want more gain, more reverb, more bass etc. simultaneously. It's just that I'll be doing more tap dancing than I did before!

Sorry I meant the original poster, not your post - I agree with your ideas there!