Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New FW on the way

audionutmike

Post from DI on TGP

Helix FW 1.06 will be at NAMM. If for whatever reason it's not ready for public download by Thursday, you'll see it early next week.

Love the dedication that L6 has with Helix. Even if it doesn't have every fix that we as users demand are in it the fact that they keep on pushing updates is encouraging for future development!

• Upvote 5

Although I appreciate their dedication (and I am enjoying the Helix--it's reduced my load-in/out from about 500lbs on a rolling cart to 20lbs in an ATA flight case without having to compromise the tonality I need to create and the dynamic response I have appreciated from the analog gear that I've used in the past), there are several features that are still missing that should be part of this product when you compare the product's price point to other Line 6 products (e.g., HD500, etc.) at lower price points whose feature sets currently surpass the Helix. However, having worked in commercial software applications development for a global IT services company for about 27 years, I appreciate how the game is played in managing marketing with product development and release. We used to routinely have a chuckle at Microsoft, one of our global partners, concerning their RTM (release-to-market) strategy. Once the RTM date was communicated to the public, features would be deprecated if need be to ensure they met the product release date. Depending upon the product, our firm would often wait until the release of SP1 (Service Pack) before migrating. 

In the case of Helix, the value of the investment Helix owners are making is in the DSP hardware horsepower. That, combined with the paradigm shift for utilizing impulse response modeling was sufficient for me to make the investment, even though there are features missing in the most current version of the software compared to lesser priced Line 6 products. However, I am confident Line 6 will be expanding the feature set on a regular basis over the course of the next few years. I'm basing that off my experiences with the POD, PODxt, and Variax for which Line 6 continued exceptional enhancement of the value proposition of those hardware platforms via periodic software releases.

Line 6, keep up the good work -- I look forward to seeing how the Helix continues to evolve!  :)

• Upvote 2

From what I've read, version 1.05 is what's on Helix Rack, and version 1.06 brings that and the floor unit into sync.

Close... 1.05 is basically the first combined firmware for the Rack and Floor unit (that's why there was no public release for 1.05). 1.06 will have some cool stuff... Was playing with it last night, and I know people will be pleased. Cooler stuff yet to come!

• Upvote 1

Close... 1.05 is basically the first combined firmware for the Rack and Floor unit (that's why there was no public release for 1.05). 1.06 will have some cool stuff... Was playing with it last night, and I know people will be pleased. Cooler stuff yet to come!

That's certainly good to hear. Look forward to it, and the computer editor.

I agree with the question of why it's not being mentioned in here by L6.

DI or Phil???? Shouldn't those announcements be made here as well if not first?

They were very busy last few days I think. Getting ready for NAMM, rushing to get all the bugs out of 1.06, and if they see that someone has posted the news before they could get to it, I don't fault them for spending the time (which I know for a fact they are doing) dealing with working all the kinks out.

I agree with the question of why it's not being mentioned in here by L6.

DI or Phil???? Shouldn't those announcements be made here as well if not first?

Dunno. Line 6 has a lot of strict rules and guidelines regarding forum etiquette (which I routinely ignore at my peril), but none of us have anything close to "web ambassador" in our job descriptions, nor does Line 6 request much less expect much less require any of us to participate in any fashion. I jump all over the place (probably 30 or so sites—thanks, Google alerts!) and answer non-leading questions when they're asked. Other Line 6 product manager types avoid forum interaction like the plague; they're a lot smarter than I am.

Besides, if there's a single Helix thread that people read, it's the 18,345-post, 1,414,171-view behemoth on TGP. Trust that within minutes, any notable Helix news will find its way to the Line 6 forums, Facebook, YouTube, and forum.fractalaudio.com. In other cases, stuff is dropped here first and then finds its way elsewhere. This isn't The Washington Post; people don't get yelled at for losing a scoop to the LA Times.

Anyway, if it makes you all happy, here's a marginally juicy morsel, now that we're within spitting distance of NAMM: 1.06 will include 3 new amp models (all based on a single amp) and 9 new effects models.

• Upvote 10

Anyway, if it makes you all happy, here's a marginally juicy morsel, now that we're within spitting distance of NAMM: 1.06 will include 3 new amp models (all based on a single amp) and 9 new effects models.

Wow, that sounds good ;-)

Looking forward to it, but I'm busy with the stuff that's in it now anyway :-)

• Upvote 1

I don't really ever get this excited.  I'm like a Minion with a banana right now.

Chiquita-DM2-minion-banana-1.jpg

• Upvote 4

Hey DI, please don't take my question as me being pissed.  You guys do an amazing job of interacting with us impatient people!   I'm freaking stoked!!  Too bad its not out today as my office closed for weather and would be a great day to mess with the new toys!!  If you need a final tester send it over I've got nothing better to do today!!! :P

Ok, peeps, you have one day! Who's got the best guess for which new three-channel amp this will be?..... :)

I am going to guess Mesa Boogie!!! Mark IV to be precise.There is only one Mesa guitar amp on there now; there are several Vox, Fender and Marshall options as is. I know alot of people might be looking for a more exotic, or boutique, or high gain amp, but my logic says, Mesa Boogie Mark IV is an all time classic, and has three channels, and would be a stellar addition to Helix. Keeping in mind that you can literally set up a single patch to do a three channel amp switching function, this is wayyyy cool. I conclude with, whichever this new amp is, it shall be awesome, and I say THANKS LINE6! :)

And just for something fun to read, here's the MkIV Wikipedia blurb...

"The Mark IV was launched by Mesa/Boogie in 1990. It was the state-of-the-art Mesa/Boogie three-channel combo amp, with independent controls for all three channels, except bass and mid, which are the same for both Rhythm 1 (clean) and Rhythm 2 (crunch). There were two versions of this amp. Start of production until about September 1993 Mark IV's are referred to as version A; amplifiers made from late 1993 until the end of production in 2008 are known as version B. Early B's have an attached power cord, like the A version. Some differences: version A has no footswitch for reverb or stereo effects loop, and the lead channel is much like the Mark IIC+'s. Version B has switchable reverb, a single switchable stereo effects loop, and an output to drive another power amp. Its voicings are altered slightly. Both versions are highly regarded; production of the Mark IV ceased in 2008."

• Upvote 1

As long as there's an auto-volume swell, or even better, a tweakable and assignable envelope filter, and some other filters, and some more phasers, I'll be ecstatic. Nine new effects can cover a lot of ground. Really excited. Don't care much about the amp. I'm one that's completely satisfied with what's already in Helix.

• Upvote 1

As long as there's an auto-volume swell, or even better, a tweakable and assignable envelope filter, and some other filters, and some more phasers, I'll be ecstatic. Nine new effects can cover a lot of ground. Really excited. Don't care much about the amp. I'm one that's completely satisfied with what's already in Helix.

But what if it's an amp you end up really really really liking...?

But what if it's an amp you end up really really really liking...?

Well, then I guess I'd have to change my mind after the fact, and if possible, retroactively. :lol:

For the type of stuff I play/write, I don't really need an extensive palette of amps. Every time I go to make a tone, the end results are really quite similar, regardless of what I choose to use. I find effects much more useful. I know I'm in the minority on this though.

• Upvote 1

Sorry—it's not the Mesa Mk IV, but that's definitely toward the top of our list.

Ah-Hah! Game on, my guess is wrong.. Somebody bound to get it right! I am so happy work asked me to trade days off this week, so I worked yesterday, and have tomorrow off.... :) Jam with the guys on Friday after work, my L2t speakers already over at the spot, ready to go..

Skipping 1.05 sounds like a little joke referring to a post earlier on this forum. That's fine, I don't mind, but it does sound weird to me to get second hand information like this... Sounds more like a rumour than authentic news :l

EDIT: due to some internet's connection problems this post came throgh on several hours of delay. So it is not just a rumour then, nice! My hopes one the 3-channel amp would be the bogner one... ;)

Skipping 1.05 sounds like a little joke referring to a post earlier on this forum. That's fine, I don't mind, but it does sound weird to me to get second hand information like this... Sounds more like a rumour than authentic news :l

It's authentic. There is indeed a 1.05 for Helix hiding in our walls, but there's no point in releasing it, as the only thing that changed from 1.04.3 is a code merge with Helix Rack. 1.06 and beyond will support both Helix and Helix Rack/Control.

Brand new Helix Racks/Controls will ship with 1.05, but 1.06 will be out before anyone gets their mitts on one.

I'm SO happy with my purchase. I had to sell of an amp, a cab and some effects, but just after a few hours with the Helix I can say it's totally worth it. The communication is top notch and I really like the effects in there. I've only scratched the surface (Only played around a little on ONE amp, and before I know it more will be added!)

Can't wait to hear what the new addition is about  :D

It's authentic. There is indeed a 1.05 for Helix hiding in our walls, but there's no point in releasing it, as the only thing that changed from 1.04.3 is a code merge with Helix Rack. 1.06 and beyond will support both Helix and Helix Rack/Control.

Brand new Helix Racks/Controls will ship with 1.05, but 1.06 will be out before anyone gets their mitts on one.

All I seemed to be able to read was "Brand new Helix Racks/Controls will ship"

The rest was just some blurry vision and trying to form 1.05 and 1.06 into a date that would somehow make sense.  :blink: