Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relay XD75-SC handling noise

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Christoszen: Have you tried out the Environment filter setting? I'm just about to buy a V75-SC since I prefer super-cardioid. But if the SC has more handling noise than the mic that comes with the V75 set on the same setting, then I guess I'm not going to buy it.

@Pyrazol and @Reason413 Thank you guys for your efforts! I have to tell you I tried ALL that. There's a lot of handling noise with BOTH LINE 6 capsules no matter the settings, however, I used a SHURE 87c Capsule and there was NONE. Which means one thing: LINE 6 capsules are not shielded. And the worst part is that I tried to contact the company to let them know (opening a ticket etc - very GENIUS customer service tool) and the person kept asking me to send the mic for service etc. My question was simple: "Does this happen to the mics?" He was going on and on about the warranty, and the receiver service etc. 

I wish I had bought a shure mic instead. I wanted to support a smaller company, but...

Hmm, that's too bad :(

Is the handling noise the same between the standard V75 and the V75-SC, or is the SC worse?

Otherwise I might just get the standard V75 set and buy an additional Shure Beta 58 capsule. That wouldn't make it much more expensive than the V75-SC and the V75 receiver.

It's louder with the SC. Honestly I really want to use various capsules (Heil, KSM8 etc) with it but I haven't gotten a straight response from them. I created a new ticket today asking the same question. If you can wait I promise to keep you posted. If still the response is vague I will be "pushing" it and getting a SHURE QLXD instead.

It's louder with the SC. Honestly I really want to use various capsules (Heil, KSM8 etc) with it but I haven't gotten a straight response from them. I created a new ticket today asking the same question. If you can wait I promise to keep you posted. If still the response is vague I will be "pushing" it and getting a SHURE QLXD instead.

Thanks! That would be wonderful. I'm not in any particular rush in getting a new mic anyway.

But doesn't (or shouldn't) the Shure QLXD series play in a wholly different league anyway? I mean, getting a Shure QLXD set costs about twice as much or more than a Line6 XD-V75 set.

In the end I might just go ahead an buy a Line6 XD-V75 set plus V75-SC plus Shure capsule and then compare them all and send back whatever isn't working for me. I'm currently using a Shure Beta 58 BLXD set, which is okay but has a bit of handling noise, seemingly because of the plastic casing on the mic.

I would avoid LINE6... (Unless you want to buy mine! I'd gladly sell it). The price range is not that far. The QLXD is around $1k. I paid $500+ for the line 6 plus $250 for the SC capsule...

If you want to use the Shure58a capsule I understand. But seriously let me know if you'd like to buy mine!

It is where I live - a Shure QLXD/Beta 58 set costs about €1200, whereas a Line 6 XD-V75 plus Beta 58 capsule would cost me €750, so about a €500 price difference.

Hehe, thanks for the offer ;) But I'm not going to buy a mic right away. And I'm guessing shipping to Germany would be prohibitively expensive for that sort of equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man,  Handling noise you are seeing is because you are using a DYNAMIC MIC,  they always will have handling noise in one form or another...  Honestly, it really should not be an issue if you are setting your gain stage correctly on your mixer AND you have the output gain on the receiver  at +0db..

The SM87 capsule is a condenser mic, they have virtually NO handling noise because they are shock mounted and do not work the same way that a dynamic mic does..

I own 10 Line6 Wireless systems and have worked with many of the high end shure...  I find the Line 6 right on par if not superior to many of the other systems out there..

I personally use a Heil RC35 Capsule on my XD-V75  and I also have a Shure SM86 capsule...

What you are experiencing is totally normal and wouldnt be much different on other systems...    again, I have a feeling you are using way to much gain on your signal which wont help you much in terms of unwanted noise...  

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, it's been two months and I just got the following:

XD-V75 standard (cardioid) mic

XD-V75-SC

and a Shure Beta58a capsule.

I'm coming from a Shure BLX24/Beta58 system which gets on my nerves because of handling noise mostly.

And I must say I concur 100% with Christoszen.

• The XD-V75 has a bit of handling noise. I'd say it's just a little bit better than the Shure BLX system.
  • The XD-V75-SC has an insane amount of handling noise. It is unreal. I'm not kidding. It is way worse than the Shure BLX. If you tap hard on the mic casing you can even hear it vibrate. Terrible, considering it costs more than twice as much (as the standard V75).
  • But now, for the winner - the XD-V75 with the capsule switched out for a Shure Beta58 is really awesome! The handling noise is practically non-existant.

I also messed around with the dynamic filter. Which honestly doesn't help all that much anyway, because it only cuts noise when it's not very loud. It didn't improve the situation for the XD-V75-SC at all really.

All in all, I'm keeping the XD-V75 with the Shure Beta58 capsule because that's a winner combo. But the stock capsules really aren't all that great IMHO.

In case anyone has any other recommendations for a great (and cheap) super-cardioid capsule, you're welcome to drop me a line :)

BTW: The XD-V75 and Beta58 combo is costing me just short of 800 bucks. That's the best deal for a digital wireless mic system I could find so far.

• 2 years later...

Great thread and information everyone!

Pyrazol,  I'm a rock and ballad singer, using a XD-V75 with both SM58 and Beta 58a capsules. I use them in smaller venues (100-300 people) and occasional large gigs (700+).

My question is about the DYNAMIC FILTER.

When you are playing a decent gig with a good engineer, when using the shure capsules, do you set it to OFF, NORMAL or TALK?

Also, when doing a small, self contained gig what filter do you use?

How has the XD-V75 been performing these days? Im in San Francisco which is Wi-Fi obsessed.

thanks in Advance, Geoff

Hi Geoff,

ha, you've had some more and larger gigs than I have, I must say ;) I can't really comment on having a good engineer as we mix all our own stuff on the computer and just give the venue a left and right channel to use. And I think our mixes are mediocre, to be honest...

That said, I always leave the Dynamic Filter on NORMAL. I don't hear it working at all when I sing, but when handling the mic between songs the noise is just a tad better - even though the Beta 58a itself does an extremely good job of rejecting that as it is.

I never set the dynamic filter to TALK because I think somewhere in the manual it says that's for talking applications (no surprise there).

There you go, not much help, but that's what I think :D

Martin

• 1 year later...

n00b question. I just bought the XD75 receiver and mic this year (cardioid). Like this (https://www.thomann.de/be/line6_xdv75.htm) This capsule costs over a 100 usd.... there is also a set with both the mic unit and the capsule.... is the mic unit the same as the original XD75? So if I would just buy the capsule, would I get the same as this https://www.bax-shop.be/nl/draadloze-handheld-microfoons/line-6-v75-hhtx-draadloze-handheld-zender of this https://www.amazon.com/Line-V75-SC-Wireless-Microphone-System/dp/B00DGLZVPE ?

Is the rest the same? Only the capsule is different? or is there a different unit to screw it onto as well?

Thanks in advance!

I suggest you open a new topic for this question. Those who consider the title of this topic won’t realize that your question is different. You will get more knowledgeable answers in a new properly-titled topic.

• Upvote 1