Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global eq ?

Old-Rocker

Hi,i don't understand,the Global eq,when set to Combo Front mode.

What is the Focus(default 570hz)used for?

Then there is Lows -50/Highs-50(default)what does this relate to & what do the figures indicate?

Is there an explanation anywhere?it dosen't say much in the Manual.

Thanks.

Oh,i've not plugged it into any amplification yet,i'm just getting used to how to use the ON BOARD controls & HD Edit.

from http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#outputChart

vi. Bass Boost

The combo output modes apply a bass boost to the live-voiced cabs, designed to compensate for the lower bass response combo amps usually have. So if you dial in a tone for your combo amp but switch to a half/full stack (or vice versa), you can change the output mode and theoretically don't have to re-EQ the low-end response for your patch.

Some people like the combo modes even through a half/full stack, because they have more bass. This kind of defeats the reason there are different combo/stack modes. I'd rather use them like designed, so I can switch rigs without having my bass response thrown too far out of whack and having to dial in my patches again. If I need more bass on a half stack rig, I dial it in on the amp controls or an EQ effect. Or I check that I'm using the "full" amp models. See full vs. pre.

Top of Page
vii. Output Mode Feature Chart

Output Mode Global EQ Live-Voiced Cabs Cab/Mic Simulation Bass Boost Studio/Direct     *   Stack Power Amp   *     Combo Power Amp   *   * Stack Front X *     Combo Front X *   *
* Only engaged when a cab is selected. Top of Page

The global EQ is quite useful, especially for dialing out the low end boominess and high frequency fizz that this unit is prone to. Low-cut and high-cut filters are really all I use. Also good for slight tweaks for different rooms, so you don't have to edit all your patches individually.

I don't use GEQ. I dial in my sound on the patches. Let the soundman do his job removing unheard frequencies that don't blend well with other unheard frequencies. 

Plus, flat is flat. Adjusting the EQ, even if it is a master control, makes it no longer flat. 

Share you patch with me and it won't sound the same because my GEQ is not the same as yours. 

Thanks,Duncann,where should i have found that in the Manuals?

Cheers,Graham.

I'm actually not sure. The current version of the advanced manual is Rev. A. That came out before version 2.60 of the firmware, which is the first to have the global EQ. So it wouldn't be in the manual.

But I just looked at the downloads for the HD500X, and the instructions involving the global EQ are in the firmware release notes.

• 5 months later...

@pianoguy. I'm sure this came up somewhere before but over here in blighty you pretty much have to be the Beatles to get a soundman at a gig. Most bands play in pubs and you are lucky to get your own corner (no stage) and we generally take our own pa.

I've not used the GEQ myself but guess it would be useful to fit better with different room acoustics. If only I knew how!

Hey Matty, One dude here uses an external EQ in the FX loop to do the Global EQs job (though I suppose you could slap it at the end too). There are some pretty small 6 band ones out there if you really have the need to tweak.

Soundmen are good and bad too so its a tosser. If you get every thing cool running to the board they should just run your channel flat but there are always the exceptions out there. :)

@pianoguy. I'm sure this came up somewhere before but over here in blighty you pretty much have to be the Beatles to get a soundman at a gig. Most bands play in pubs and you are lucky to get your own corner (no stage) and we generally take our own pa.

I've not used the GEQ myself but guess it would be useful to fit better with different room acoustics. If only I knew how!

I've been in this business for 30+ years. Admittedly, things have changed over time.

But, the one that thing that hasn't changed is---- 

It is YOUR name up in lights!

It is your business, you own it, you have to take control of it. That means that you have to take the responsibility of making sure everything is right from start to finish.

I mean, think about it, the general population is not going to come see you perform and at the end of the night give a review of "The band was excellent but the sound guy had the mics at a 45 degree angle when he should have used a 42 degree angle. It totally ruined an otherwise flawless performance." 

The general population will say "Man, I am never going to see that band again. They hurt my hears." 

They are going to remember your name because your name is the name on the marquee. That's kind of why some of the bigger bands make public announcements - We are ditching our management. We have fired our producer. We are leaving Live Nation. They want people to know "Hey, we are making changes because we were unsatisfied with the end result. If you were unhappy with us, give us another chance, it wasn't our fault and we got rid of what we believe is the fault." 

So, when you say that you don't have a stage to play on - bring your own risers. 

When you don't have a soundman at the venue, bring one of your own (or don't play because the venue didn't fulfill its end of the contract). 

If you don't think that the venue is putting out enough advertising to give you proper exposure, advertise it yourself. 

This is a job. It is not a hobby. This isn't done for fun or as something on the side. This is a 100 hour a week job. Technically, we shouldn't even call it a job because we own the business. We don't get time off. We are at work 24/7. 

You do your business at a venue - which is someone's full time business. They hire employees (like bartenders and security) who view their job as a full-time, life-supporting, bill-paying job.

Every step of the ladder is someone's livelihood, bands need to do the same. 

***Stepping off of the high horse now

Its not that high a horse PG! I totally agree it's you. However, in the UK pretty much all the grassroots music is played in the corner of a pub (bar). No room for risers and no names in lights. We have a banner now that we put up behind the drummer so they know who we are though. In a pub you are lucky to take £300 (that's $13.75 now we are out of Europe ;-)) so most bands don't split it an extra way to employ a soundperson. There are no 'contracts' just cash and if you start demanding things they just give your gig to another band.

I don't like accepting the way things are but in the 30+ years I've been doing it (as a hobby 'cause it doesn't pay enough!) very little has changed. The X Factor and (insert your country)'s Got Talent have damaged the playing field imo as people will only go to a theatre size venue (of the sort you have in the States) to see a tribute band or some clapped out 1/2 of a band from yesteryear. It's incredibly hard to get a break as a band playing your own material.

Yes we have a Musicians Union and I guess if everyone refused to play for peanuts and with no contracts then maybe it would change but who wants to be the 1st to say no?

All the money is in functions - we can earn £1,000 to play a wedding - so playing the pubs/bars is pretty much seen as getting exposure.

Atleast in my area, we can play bars for next to nothing or do Corporate Gigs for big money.  Corporate Gigs are when we dress up and play certain types of dance music with a little classic rock thrown in.  They pay very well, usually in the $2k to 3K range.  But you have to be top notch with very good vocals and harmonies.  I don't do this because I don't like the music and I don't need the money.  I'm at the age where I'm going to do what I damn well please.

However, most (not all) bar bands I've seen are crap.  Their tone sucks, they're playing is at best average, and vocally they're barely getting by. 

In my area, find a reputable agent and get out of bars if you want to make money.  Or do what I do and don't play bars that treat you like crap but you won't make much money either.  Oh and learn how to run a sound system yourself and buy a wireless system so you can walk out front occasionally during your performance to make sure it sounds right.

Those are my choices...