Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Advice on Recording Setup - Pod HD500x and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 a little while back and am trying to figure out how best to use it with my rig. I'm using a Pod HD500x and could do with a bit of technical expertise.

In the past I always recorded through the USB of my Pod, running a separate speaker to hear it.

Since getting my 2i2, up until now I've just had the signal from my pedal running into both inputs on the 2i2 through XLR cables. This was basically just so I could run the audio from my PC and my guitar through the same set monitors.  I've also noticed that when the gain on the 2i2 is just below clipping, it is significantly quieter when recorded into my DAW through the USB on the interface, than when I just record through the USB on my HD500x, does this mean my tone patches are too loud??

I've recently changed the setup so the interface and pedal are pretty much separate. I'm using the speaker to monitor the pedal again, and the interface just has a microphone plugged into one of the inputs at the moment. I was initially thinking of putting my interface between my guitar and pedal in order to record a dry track, but I wouldn't be able to use it to monitor the audio from my PC if I did that. Would it be better to use the FX loop on my pedal to record a DI track if I place it before the amp sim?

And if I were to record dry tracks, could I then plug the output of the interface into the input of the Pod in order to reamp the dry signal? My main concern is how much gain from the interface the Pod could handle? Would it be 'safer' to use the FX return?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, been very uncertain about how best to approach my recording rig, so thought seeking advice before I change it around again would be wise!

Thanks,

Andrew

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

i think what the interface is trying to do is remove that pitch noise that your fret does. I had the same problem, so i record too different tracks, one with the pod and the other with the inteface. the one with the pod is louder yes... but the sound it's worse in my opinion(its not bad tho, the pod is a good audio interface too tho). mastering the two tracks you will notice thta is easier to "make it sound better" with the scarlet. jus tboost the volume and its no problem. I did that and I think my sound became much better

Sounds like you are not using the POD for anything but source devices and the gain levels hitting the Scarlett is fine. So the problem is the interface to the DAW. I don't have a Scarlett but I would look in the driver or software for the Scarlett and see if there is a boost. Also what level is hitting the DAW? Saying the Volume is low may or may not be a problem. You can always just bring up the level in the DAW itself for the track. If you getting anywhere around -18 to -12 on the DAW for recording level, that's likely not a issue. Plus check the DAW playback on the Scarlett for any knob or setting for Direct or Monitor mix or level. When you play back from the DAW it's signal coming from the PC to the interface. When you coming from the POD, you most likely (again don't know the Scarlett just true for most interfaces) getting direct payback level from the interface. This prevents latency issues. On the POD USB you don't have "mix" of monitor vs. direct but on most dedicated interfaces you do.