Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

pedal train or similar for helix?

wolfhook

hi all,looking at hitting the road this year and as my helix is my foundation bit of gear im gonna need a sturdy case for it. What are some of you using in the same situation? id rather not go MASSIVZE like a PT pro, but perhaps it would be good to have space for one or two outboard pedals as i use it for vox/bass and guitar.

cheers!

With my Helix rig, I've only got an outboard Mission Audio expression pedal - so I just jam it in the Helix bag with my custom Lava Cable snake and I'm done.

I've done larger pedalboard and G-System based rigs and with the Pedal Train, the MPS Pedal pad and some homegrown ones.  Frankly, I'd  never go back to a hard-case as it just gets too cumbersome and heavy (or maybe I'm just getting too old).  IMO the extra height on the backside of a pedaltrain is just too much combined with an MFX, and it also makes for a bulkier load.   If you were to mount the Helix with outboard pedals, I suggest a simple, custom flat board like the one that I got from www.stompin-ground.com.

Hope this helps!

I actually just dismantled and sold off my big pedalboard (a Pedal Pad), and plan on using the Helix directly on the floor, with just one or two external expression pedals. Truthfully, if I wanted to put the Helix on a board, I'd just make one myself. Or I would look at a Pedaltrain...I have a PT-2 with the road case (that I'm currently not using). I thought about putting the Helix in the road case, which it will fit, but I ended up buying the Helix backpack instead.  I'm really trying to keep my rig as light and portable as possible.

There are lots of options out there if you want a custom pedalboard and/or road case for the Helix. I may still use my PT-2 roadcase for transporting the Helix to and from shows, but for weekly rehearsals I have the backpack. If I decide to use the PT-2 roadcase, I'll just custom-fit some foam into the case since it's deeper than it needs to be. Probably enough room for a few pedals, but I've not checked it yet. I just know that the Helix itself will fit in the case with room to spare.

I hear ya - having had 3 guitars crunched by baggage handlers, I can totally relate!   I also had the PedalTrain soft-bag rip open on me getting into a cab, almost spilling my whole pedalboard into the middle of Friday-night mayhem on the street!  FWIW, I didn't think my PedalTrain hard-case was up to air-travel, with as much weight as I had mounted on the board inside.   I'd be worried about all duracor/duralite/durastyle, thin walled products for air-travel - molded ABS cases are much better (and harder to find a good fit!)

hmmm needs to be solid enough to deal with airport luggage throwers-i have a bag for around town jams but if im going by plane ill need something a bit more sturdy

Sort of.. I opted for a Mono case for Helix, with a smallish Pedaltrain (Novo18) next to it with a pair of Mission exp pedals, a Furman power strip, and a G70 wireless.

That way if I want to go light with just Helix I can, when I want wireless with an exp pedal each for wah, volume and 'tweak', then add the sidecar. Haven't assembled that yet, got the parts and some dual lock with time this weekend, hope to get it in order.

Also ordered a 24x12 flat Trailer Trash board, see how Helix fits on that, and if it still fits in the Mono at that point. Should, interior dimensions are good. We'll see how heavy that flat board is. But I like the idea of lift up handles and something under Helix without having to take it's feet off

I'm sharing this information in a couple different topic threads where folks are asking about cases...

I removed the 4 screws holding the rubber feet in the corners and replaced them with 4 metric screws the same size, but longer -- long enough to allow me to attached to 1/2" clear pine cleats to the bottom of the Helix (with washers). The cleats are colored flat black so they disappear. I then set everything into a pedalboard roadcase with a lift off top (see attached photo). There are wood screws with trim washers that reach up from underneath the roadcase and hold the cleats to the roadcase. 

If you're wondering about the Radial stereo direct box, although the XLR outs on the Helix work fine in some local active monitors I use at home, I'm getting some noise when I run them into the FOH console at one of the venues I play every week (BTW, it's not related to the 'ground lift'; it's not the typical 'ground noise'; the position of the Helix ground lift switch for the XLR outs doesn't make a difference). I found that taking the 1/4" outputs from the Helix into the Radial gives me a clean signal to this particular FOH console.

Hope this helps!   :)

post-5808-0-66598300-1453511982_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Rondo Music has a great case for the Helix that has a Velcro base board and a foam lined upper

top that is removable. Can fit a small expression pedal in it also. Or some room for a pedal or two.

Cost is about $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNB-PDC-410F-SSL-Pedal-Case-Pedalboard-Locking-Pedal-Board-/222607947380?hash=item33d477b674

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Karis_shem said:

I made this some time ago with a temple Audio Board (perfect fit for the Helix).

Now i'm working on a more portable solution, with the HX stomp and a few pedals.

20170802.jpg

20170803.jpg

Love that setup!

1). Do you know where you ended up weight wise plus case?

2). What cables are those?!

3).  What is the Line 6 device on the top right that looks like an electric razor?

3 minutes ago, Karis_shem said:

1) Don' t know but quite heavy. That's the reason why I'm trying this HX stomp board now. The board itself is not heavy but the helix is.

2) EBS flat patch cables (gold). And for midi I can't recall. 

3) line 6 relay G10. Wireless solution. 

Awesome, thanks @Karis_shemI really appreciate the help.  Those cables are DOPE!!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that Creation has a new pedalboard line called the Aero Series.  My Helix fits perfectly on the 32x16 with room for more inside their Flight Case.  Even fits with them sending the extra foam lift inserts to create storage space underneath for cables.  

https://creationmusiccompany.com/collections/aero-series/Aero

Just thought I would pass along as I know this was huge win for me.  I'm not 100% finished with the build but I believe I'm going to keep everything under 50 lbs. too.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 year later...

For anyone else that followed this, it looks like Gator has this option (Gator Cases GTOURHELIXFLOOR Helix Floor Case W/ Wheels) out now too which looks super nice if you're a HELIX Floor only user:  http://www.proaudiostar.com/gator-cases-gtourhelixfloor-helix-floor-case-w-wheels.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImqPS-7jm5gIVD9vACh2d0QlcEAQYASABEgIlJPD_BwE

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:06 PM, chechunka said:

For anyone else that followed this, it looks like Gator has this option (Gator Cases GTOURHELIXFLOOR Helix Floor Case W/ Wheels) out now too which looks super nice if you're a HELIX Floor only user: http://www.proaudiostar.com/gator-cases-gtourhelixfloor-helix-floor-case-w-wheels.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImqPS-7jm5gIVD9vACh2d0QlcEAQYASABEgIlJPD_BwE

I've had this for a while now, and still LOVE it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2018 at 2:36 AM, Karis_shem said:

I made this some time ago with a temple Audio Board (perfect fit for the Helix).

Now i'm working on a more portable solution, with the HX stomp and a few pedals.

20170802.jpg

20170803.jpg

Sorry to bump an old post but I LOVE this setup. How do (did) you have cables routed under this? And how was everything powered?