Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Helix Channel on YouTube

sminchk67

Hey everybody,

I'm Scott Minchk, and I've started a new channel on YouTube, dedicated to the Helix...check it out!

Here are links to my first two videos:

Please, share, subscribe, like (if you dig what I do), and follow me on Twitter, @Helix_Channel

Rock on,

Scott.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

Hey thanks for doing these...Ive got a ways to go with the Helix, and they'll help. One thing. I mean thats what overdrive pedals do...color the sound. Thats exactly why you put them there in the first place, whether its to tighten bass, push mids, whatever, so im thankful that they all color in a different way. If youre just putting them there to boost distortion, well then your set-up is off elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Hey everybody,

I'm Scott Minchk, and I've started a new channel on YouTube, dedicated to the Helix...check it out!

Please, share, subscribe, like (if you dig what I do), and follow me on Twitter, @Helix_Channel

Rock on,

Scott.

Scott...I've now watched about 15 of these and very helpful. In one you mentioned the possibility of getting some type of vendor tie in with OwnHammer on your patches. Did that ever come about?

Reason I ask is that I'm trying to understand the whole IR thing. If I get the concept, OwnHammer is basically selling their own modeled amp parameters versus what is stock with the Helix amp set ? Correct?

• Upvote 1

Hi,

No, I didn't work out a deal with Ownhammer...I did speak with Kevin (he runs OwnHammer), very nice guy. I had questions about the different IR packs, and he gave me the scoop on how they worked, which was helpful.

The IR is simply a replacement for the Helix's built-in cabs...they're digital snapshots of a mic in a front of a cabinet. So, for example, the OH 412 MAR-CB V30 121-FRED, 

OH (OwnHammer), 412 MAR-CB (4x12 vintage Marshall 1960b checkerboard cabinet), V30 (Celestion Vintage 30), 121 (Royer 121 ribbon mic), and FRED (Studio Fredman  45 technique, placing mic at the center of the speaker, at a 45 degree angle).

My personal favorite IR packs are the 412 MAR-CB, 412 DZL-RL, 412 ENG, 410 SPRVRB, 212 VX30, and 212 MAR-66...my favorite IR's are the 121-FRED, 160-FRED, 70-FRED, and 414-FRED...hard to go wrong with those.

Rock on,

Scott.

The IR is simply a replacement for the Helix's built-in cabs...they're digital snapshots of a mic in a front of a cabinet. .

Scott..thanks for the explanation on this.

As I watched your video on the IR's from a couple months ago, I agreed with your assessment that second version w/OwnHammer was tighter and better.

Does OwnHammer also produce actual amp models that work for Helix (in addition to the speaker/cab combos) that you've tried?

And my question for the larger group is if OwnHammer has certain IR's usable with Helix that appeared to me to sound better, why wouldn't Line 6 produce something of that quality. The more I explore my Helix as a newb three week owner, it just seems clear to me that the Helix sound is incredible if you go well beyond the standard line 6 settings. But I have to learn a heck of a lot from people like Scott and the rest of you to get there.

• Upvote 1

OwnHammer only does speaker/mic IR's, not amp modeling...that's up to Line 6 to take care of.

Line 6 is busy with the amp/effect modeling. I don't think they're interested in the IR's...and I'm fine with that, as long as we can load third-party IR's, that's cool!

Rock on,

Scott.