Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 L2T or traditional monitors?

Hi,

Very new to the no-amp concept, so be gentle  :unsure:

At the moment i am using a Pod HD500X with headphones. This set-up is becoming a bit tiresome for a few reasons and so I was looking at some studio monitors for the FRFR, stereo sound, and the bedroom volume, but I don't want to also fork out for when I am playing with a drummer or full band. For this reason i was looking at the L2T, but am wondering about a few things that i hope someone can help me with!

1. What would happen with the stereo patches that i have created given that there is only 1 speaker in the unit? Would the sound be compromised?

2. What is it like at bedroom volumes? Can it even be that quiet?

3. Is it just a matter of connecting it to my Pod via one L6 link cable? Or do i need XLR cables? If so, balanced or unbalanced? Really confused by this one.

Apologies if this information is readily available, but i haven't been able to find it, not even by calling and talking to music shop people who supply them!

All the best,

Azz

1) You won't get a stereo sound of course, but you'll hear everything as long as you use an output on the HD500X that is labelled L/MONO. That will sum the stereo signal to mono at the output.

2) It will sound good at bedroom levels. The tone may sound a bit different but that's because the ear perceives sound differently at different volume levels. (see Fletcher-Munson effect for more details).

3) If you are playing alone you only need the L6 Link cable. If you want to use it as a stage monitor and hear the band mix, you might want to use one or two standard balanced XLR cables to connect the HD500X to the band's mixer, and a monitor cable from the mixer to the L2t. But you could also use your L6Link cable - it can operate as a standard XLR.

Great, thanks both. However, you've raised some further questions for me!

silverhead: in point 1 you say to use L/MONO to sum stereo patches, but in point 3 you say i can use the L6 link cable and looking at the connections at the back of the pod, L/MONO is just a 1/4" jack; does this mean i can't use L6 link cable to sum stereo but have to use an XLR to 1/4" cable? Sorry for this, but it's the connections that confuse me the most! Lastly, would a single L3T be able to do stereo since (i think!) it has multiple speakers inside?

Rewolf48: would you lose some functionality if not using the link cable? Also, could i connect a source of music/backing tracks directly to the L2T instead of using the pod as a middle-man?

All the best,

Aaron

If you use the 1/4" L2t input I would also use the 1/4" HD500 L/Mono output. No need for adapter.

No, the fact that the L3t has two internal speakers does not mean that a single L3t will run stereo. The two internal speakers handle different frequencies in the incoming mono (or half-stereo) signal.

You will loose the ability to control the speaker mode from the HD.

So if you planned on using the Guitar Amp emulation mode of the L2, then you can no longer switch between that mode and PA/Reference mode when you change patches.

If you are planning to use the speakers as Studio Monitors then they will be in PA mode all the time and you don't loose anything.

I use L6 Link in rehearsal and on stage in PA mode with my L2, but at home when I want to play along with recordings I use the XLRs

Guitar Amp mode works great if you have some other pre-amp - I used it to demo my Marshall JMP-1 to a buyer because I had already sold all my guitar cabs.

Thank again :)

Last thing to clarify my connection options for myself:

1. if i use an L6 link cable then it goes from L6 on the pod to "L6 link in" on the L2t, yes? And will this also give a summed stereo to mono for stereo patches?

2. if i use XLR then as i understand it i get a 1/4" to XLR cable and put it in the unbalanced L/MONO on pod then the XLR end into where on the L2t? Any recommendations for cables or is any 1/4" to XLR okay? 

Finally, why doesn't one use the balanced output on the pod? 

All the best,

Aaron

1. Yes

2. Why not just use a straight 1/4" unbalanced cable - a regular guitar jack/cable? The L2t has combo inputs on both the rear panel and the side panel mixer, meaning they will accept XLR or 1/4" cables. Experiment with the HD500 1/4" output switch setting (line or amp) depending on whether ou use the L2t rear panel or mixer input.

The POD's balanced outputs are necessary over long distances. For short runs it really doesn't matter much.

Rewolf48: would you lose some functionality if not using the link cable? Also, could i connect a source of music/backing tracks directly to the L2T instead of using the pod as a middle-man?

..."

You will loose the ability to control the speaker mode from the HD.

Bear in mind that you also lose something if you do use the L6 Link connection. You lose the ability to use the cd/MP3 input on the HD500X, for backing tacks for instance. That's because the cd/MP3 input on the POD is sent directly to the analog outputs; it is not converted to digital within the POD and hence is not sent via L6 Link.