Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 1.06 Available [now replaced by 1.10]

Digital_Igloo

Not sure if a new app would be required to recognize new amps/effects, hopefully a new app revision is not required every time something got added to the Helix. It should only require a new app for major firmware changes, for instance, with global settings, and even then you could probably code an app to pick up on them. However, it sure would be great to see a new version of the Helix library app if for no other reason than to fix the bug where blank presets cause saved presets to have their names moved to one location while the actual preset settings stay in the original slot; and totally agree, it would also be a huge improvement if it worked offline. The same goes for the editor when it gets here (looking forward to its arrival).

It looks like a new Helix app will likely be required with the new firmware, or certainly when the editor is released, which is actually part of the Helix app. If you take a look at the files in the 'EdLibResources' folder, and in particular the 'amp.models' file, the new Matchless amp is not in there.

It looks like a new Helix app will likely be required with the new firmware, or certainly when the editor is released, which is actually part of the Helix app. If you take a look at the files in the 'EdLibResources' folder, and in particular the 'amp.models' file, the new Matchless amp is not in there.

I would not be surprised if periodically a new version of the app is required, especially for bug fixes, major firmware revisions, or the addition of something big like a new editor. However, I would not expect to see models that have not yet been added to show up in files in the 'EdLibResources' folder.  I would think that it would be a real time and resource saver for L6 to write the editor in such a way that it can pick up automatically on new additions to the FX, amp model, and even global settings, rather than issuing a new version of the editor each time. There probably would be a way to write the code to essentially do a dump of all types & parameters in a given category to a resource file, for example, dump all FX types & parameters, dump all amp model types and parameters. That way the app does not need to 'know' ahead of time what amps and FX already exist. I guess it depends on how they coded the Helix app and ultimately what requires the least amount of time and effort in the long run.  At first glance it would not seem efficient to have to rewrite the Helix app and reissue it every time an amp/FX is added.

I would not be surprised if periodically a new version of the app is required, especially for bug fixes, major firmware revisions, or the addition of something big like a new editor. However, I would not expect to see models that have not yet been added to show up in files in the 'EdLibResources' folder.  I would think that it would be a real time and resource saver for L6 to write the editor in such a way that it can pick up automatically on new additions to the FX, amp model, and even global settings, rather than issuing a new version of the editor each time. There probably would be a way to write the code to essentially do a dump of all types & parameters in a given category to a resource file, for example, dump all FX types & parameters, dump all amp model types and parameters. That way the app does not need to 'know' ahead of time what amps and FX already exist. I guess it depends on how they coded the Helix app and ultimately what requires the least amount of time and effort in the long run.  At first glance it would not seem efficient to have to rewrite the Helix app and reissue it every time an amp/FX is added.

It doesn't appear like the resource files are updated independently from an application update. There was an update recently that added a dual delay and reverse delay. Within the archive of version 1.01, those two effects are not present, but are with version 1.02, again within the archive, pre-installed. But it's no big deal because it's not like they release a new effect, amp, or cab every day.

Not sure if a new app would be required to recognize new amps/effects, hopefully a new app revision is not required every time something got added to the Helix.

Well DI said the reason 1.06 was delayed was because of a bug with the "new" librarian... It was the same with the HD after the model packs were released.  New amp or FX model, new editor/librarian.

"Sorry, guys. Just got a call from Dom, and 1.06 isn't quite ready for primetime. QA just found a rare bug with the new Helix librarian that's serious enough to make us hold off until early next week. We'd rather take pitchforks for something late than something not ready."

REALLY impressed with the flexibility and options available for the new tremolo and phaser. EXACTLY what I was hoping for. What a great company that listens to it's customers. The Timmy model is great too.

Next up, more ambient delays, reverbs with a 'freeze/infinity' function like on the Eventide H9 please, as well as polyphonic pitch shifting effects. Those would be the icing on an already delicious cake!!!

Helix Firmware v1.06.0 Release Notes

Helix v1.06.0 is a firmware update that includes new models, features, fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using the Helix application to create a preset bundle, allowing you to install new presets as part of the update process.

The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Updater. Once you've connected Helix to your computer via its USB port (hubs are not supported), Line 6 Updater will recognize the unit and take you through the update process. Both the Helix application and Line 6 Updater may be downloaded here: http://line6.com/software/

New Amp Models

• Matchstick Ch1, based on* Channel 1 of the MatchlessTM DC30
  • Matchstick Ch2, based on* Channel 2 of the MatchlessTM DC30
  • Matchstick Jump, based on* jumping Channels 1 and 2 of the MatchlessTM DC30

New Effects Models

• Distortion > Teemah! (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Paul Cochrane Timmy® Overdrive
  • Distortion > KWB (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Benadrian Kowloon Walled Bunny Distortion
  • Distortion > Bitcrusher (Mono, Stereo)
  • Modulation > Dynamix Flanger (Mono, Stereo)
  • Modulation > Deluxe Phaser (Mono, Stereo)
  • Modulation > Tremolo (Mono) and Tremolo/Autopan (Stereo), based on* the BOSS® PN-2
  • Pitch/Synth > Simple Pitch (Mono, Stereo)
  • Pitch/Synth > Dual Pitch (Mono, Stereo)
  • Filter > Autofilter (Mono, Stereo)

* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New Features

• Swap Footswitch Assignments—This feature makes organizing Stomp footswitch mode a lot easier, especially when footswitches have multiple-assigned items or custom labels/LED ring colors. Touch and hold (but don’t press) any two stomp mode footswitches for one second. A dialog box appears, asking if you want to swap all assignments. Press Knob 6 (OK)
  • When touch-holding a footswitch to invoke Quick Footswitch Assign (or touch holding two footswitches to swap their assignments), the dialog panel automatically closes after four seconds

Bug Fixes

• In rare cases, assigning a parameter to a footswitch may briefly display the parameter’s value above Knob 1 (Parameter) on the Controller Assign page —FIXED
  • After returning to a preset while the looper is active, the Looper block and/or half-speed footswitch’s LED may not properly reflect its state(s) —FIXED
  • In some cases, a Command Center > CC Toggle footswitch’s LED may not properly reflect its state —FIXED
  • Helix may fail to respond when receiving a huge string of MIDI PC messages while on the Setlist view —FIXED
  • After customizing the name of an auto-assigned EXP 1 block (Wah or Pitch Wham), the Volume Pedal may become unassigned —FIXED
  • General stability improvements
  • Other minor bug fixes and optimizations

Other Improvements

• When selecting banks by pressing FS1 (BANK UP) or FS7 (BANK DOWN), FS6 now appears as CANCEL, letting you dismiss bank queue without changing footswitch modes
  • Expression Pedal 2 and 3 can now adjust values in Pedal Edit mode
  • Factory presets leveled
  • Additional improvements made to the factory preset bundle

Resetting Helix Globals / Loading the Newest Factory Presets

IMPORTANT! This procedure will completely overwrite all existing presets and setlists, as well as clear all user IRs and reset all global settings! Back up your presets and IRs before proceeding!

1. Turn off Helix.
  2. While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

Known Issues

• Minor pops and clicks may be present when Helix is streaming audio from a Mac® running OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • Minor pops and clicks may be present when Helix is streaming audio from an iOS® device running iOS 9.1 or 9.2 with Apple® Camera Kit
  • Importing a Helix bundle while streaming audio over USB may cause the Helix application to disconnect

This update 106.0  is da Best!!  Just updated from 104 and the tones are amazing all the amp models sound great, pretty much just like the real amps!!  Thanks line 6 gonna dig in....  :P

This was my first upgrade as I only got the unit a few days ago.  One small suggestion for Line 6 is to make a minor tweak to this instruction:

While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix.  Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

I did that repeatedly and it didn't work.  However when I stopped "holding" the footswitches and "pressed" them instead it worked.  I appreciate not a huge thing but it might stop someone else tearing their hair out for a few minutes until they figure it out like I eventually did. :huh: 

This was my first upgrade as I only got the unit a few days ago.  One small suggestion for Line 6 is to make a minor tweak to this instruction:

While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix.  Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

I did that repeatedly and it didn't work.  However when I stopped "holding" the footswitches and "pressed" them instead it worked.  I appreciate not a huge thing but it might stop someone else tearing their hair out for a few minutes until they figure it out like I eventually did. :huh:

With "holding" they mean press them and hold down until the message appears - then let go

• Upvote 1

Hold down 9/10 before update or after update.

I've been doing this after the updates. Not to specific on this in directions

After, so it can update the factory presets and global settings changes that are included with this update.  This will wipe out any non-factory presets but If you first export your non-factory presets you can then import them back in after the reset.  

Don't know if it's necessary or not, but I've started keeping backups of my custom presets linked to the firmware version, with the backup for the previous version done at the time of a firmware update. That way if something goes wrong, or you want to downgrade for whatever reason, the question of presets being backwards compatible no longer matters.

The update was a good adder. The new amps, Timmy,  and especially the swap feature are absolutely great. I find myself almost always revising footswitch layouts after I make a patch based on actual use and this saved a lot of time/ opened up a much more flexible experimentation process. Especially since this is the center of a dual (bass and guitar) live rig.

As this was my first firmware upgrade, I just found, though,  that I had to reload/re-install the updater application for some reason as it wasn't seeing the Helix. Minor issue. Great update...