Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Variax integration

alexfong

You can't assign a Variax model change using an FX footswitch within a preset. It's not assignable like an FX block. The only way to use a footswitch to change a Variax model is to use the footswitch to change to a different Helix preset, in which the desired Variax model is defined.

Well sort of... I have a few patches where I have used one path for my acoustic model with my favorite acoustic setup -- compressor, EQ's, reverb, and delay for the JTV model, with the input set to Variax Model only, then the other path set to my JTV mags only, and set a switch to mute one path and un-mute the other path, using a gain block. I switch between the mags and the model within the same path, and set the Variax path to choose the appropriate model and tuning. I could see setting 2 inputs to the same amp model on a path, using a switching scheme to opt for the mags or model for 2 contrasting electrics as well. But to change between 2 different models in the same patch, no... You'd need 2 different patches at this point.

I love the sound of my mags on both my 59 and my 69S, though I set up 2 groups of similar patches due to the level and tone differences between the mags of the 2 JTV's so I can switch from one to the other if I break a string, or between sets if I just want to play one or the other.

Dave

It's a little annoying just because the preset lag is quite pronounced

I use the variax for wanted dead or alive and when I switch into the solo I have to time it quite carefully so it doesn't jar

Having said that I'm stoked I can do that at all without the old 12 string on a fixed stand routine and associated setup

• 1 month later...

Well sort of... I have a few patches where I have used one path for my acoustic model with my favorite acoustic setup -- compressor, EQ's, reverb, and delay for the JTV model, with the input set to Variax Model only, then the other path set to my JTV mags only, and set a switch to mute one path and un-mute the other path, using a gain block. I switch between the mags and the model within the same path, and set the Variax path to choose the appropriate model and tuning. I could see setting 2 inputs to the same amp model on a path, using a switching scheme to opt for the mags or model for 2 contrasting electrics as well. But to change between 2 different models in the same patch, no... You'd need 2 different patches at this point.

I love the sound of my mags on both my 59 and my 69S, though I set up 2 groups of similar patches due to the level and tone differences between the mags of the 2 JTV's so I can switch from one to the other if I break a string, or between sets if I just want to play one or the other.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Any chance of posting one of these patches on Customtone? I'd like to do the same thing with my Variax.

Thanks,

Frank