Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Creaking pedal

ge31

Hi All,

Since one week the expression pedal of my Helix creaks, I've tried to unscrewed a bit but still the same creaking. How do you adjust your pedal ? Hard or soft ?

I've got also loseness in the pedal axis, when putting my foot on the pedal it's creaking a lot. Should I have to open the helix and put some grease on the pedal axis ?

Taking the bottom plate off Helix to fix the expression pedal is very simple. You don't need a degree in mechanical engineering, electronic engineering, etc. Also doing so will leave no indicators that you actually have done so. I wouldn't recommend anyone do this unless they're comfortable with the idea though. But I also see no reason why someone should go through official channels for something like this. It wasteful of both time and money.

Ideally, at least in my mind, Line 6 should post some official instructions for fixing this manufacturing oversight. All that's needed is a little lube on the surfaces that are perpendicular to the long bolt that holds everything together.

• Upvote 1

As I have some experience in electronics, I have open my Helix. I've used a wristband link to the ground to avoid electric shock.

I have unmounted the pedal and put some grease on the plastic washers then remount everything. That's very easy with an easy access.

Now the creaks is gone but I've notice since the beginning that there is a certain losseness in the pedal axis specially if you press to strong with your heel when putting your foot on the pedal. Then after putting your foot no more creak.

As I have some experience in electronics, I have open my Helix. I've used a wristband link to the ground to avoid electric shock.

I have unmounted the pedal and put some grease on the plastic washers then remount everything. That's very easy with an easy access.

Now the creaks is gone but I've notice since the beginning that there is a certain losseness in the pedal axis specially if you press to strong with your heel when putting your foot on the pedal. Then after putting your foot no more creak.

I don't notice anything like that on mine. But now that you've lubed it, adjusting the tension is much easier, but still very, very limited in the amount it can be adjusted. I've noticed that if it's a fraction of a millimeter too loose, the pedal itself is too loose and will feel floppy.

The only other thing is, there's a rubber stop screwed onto the bottom plate with two screws, that stops the pedal moving in the heel position.

it's kind of ridiculous....near the end I lean into it a little and you can hear it scrapping the side of the opening. I am just setting my foot on enough to use it in the first part. 

I fixed it with a drop of lube on the right side of the peddle axle bushing.

it's kind of ridiculous....near the end I lean into it a little and you can hear it scrapping the side of the opening. I am just setting my foot on enough to use it in the first part. 

https://youtu.be/tlaUHyjQgUg

I fixed it with a drop of lube on the right side of the peddle axle bushing.

What lube did you use to fix this? Mine just started creaking as well.

Disregard my last post. I used White Lithium Grease... here are the steps I took...

1. Took off bottom cover.

2. Using a q-tip (flattened) I added a small amount of White Lithium Grease to the outside edge of the expression pedal's rubber washer (trying to get it around the entire edge the best I could).

3. I moved the pedal up and down for about 30 seconds.

4. I repeated steps 2 and 3 until the squeek disappeared.

5. Closed it back up.

With this method you don't need to get into the ugliness of disassembly (other than taking off the bottom cover) since moving the pedal up and down will "grab" the lubrication and spread it around for you.

I hope this works for someone else as well.

I used chapstick. I also removed the entire pedal assembly. There really isn't much more to take apart once you have the bottom removed. There's two screws attached to the chasis that holds an assembly containing a piece of metal and a nut (the metal keeps the nut from moving), which the long bolt screws into. Just use the allen wrench to remove the long bolt first. That was about it, if I remember right. The advantage of removing the whole pedal is you can lubricate the entire plastic surfaces. There was also a metal washer in there. Mine didn't squeak, but it made a night/day difference in smoothness of operation.

I used chapstick. I also removed the entire pedal assembly. There really isn't much more to take apart once you have the bottom removed. There's two screws attached to the chasis that holds an assembly containing a piece of metal and a nut (the metal keeps the nut from moving), which the long bolt screws into. Just use the allen wrench to remove the long bolt first. That was about it, if I remember right. The advantage of removing the whole pedal is you can lubricate the entire plastic surfaces. There was also a metal washer in there. Mine didn't squeak, but it made a night/day difference in smoothness of operation.

This goes back to a concern I had when I initially received my Helix that dirt or moisture might find their way into electronics via the expression pedal slot in the Helix chassis. There is the issue with some users having the pedal scraping against the slot and add to that the hassle of having to remove the Helix's bottom to lube/fix the expression pedal (and maybe someone uses a lubricant that causes issues with the electronics?). I hope this does not void the warranty. Still think a slotless expression pedal would be better located on the top of the Helix where it would be easily accessible and did not provide a point of entry for contaminants. There may be structural, cost, and/or form factor advantages to the slotted pedal but I am not sure they outweigh the disadvantages.

This goes back to a concern I had when I initially received my Helix that dirt or moisture might find their way into electronics via the expression pedal slot in the Helix chassis. There is the issue with some users having the pedal scraping against the slot and add to that the hassle of having to remove the Helix's bottom to lube/fix the expression pedal (and maybe someone uses a lubricant that causes issues with the electronics?). I hope this does not void the warranty. Still think a slotless expression pedal would be better located on the top of the Helix where it would be easily accessible and did not provide a point of entry for contaminants. There may be structural, cost, and/or form factor advantages to the slotted pedal but I am not sure they outweigh the disadvantages.

I wouldn't worry too much about dust getting in there. Have you seen the insides of some computers? If I cleaned mine in the room it's in, I'd die of dust inhalation! Liquids could be more of a problem. Spilt beverages for the the gigging player, or just generally clumsy person?

I have a feeling that if the pedal is used often, it's going to have to be maintained often, which is easy enough.

I too prefer the top mounted pedal on the HD. But that one still has a 1cm hole underneath it.

As soon as I adjusted my exp pedal mine started to squeak. Bought white lithium grease at Home Depot in a tube. Pull just the pack panel of helix off. Remove two little screws that hold the retainer nut plate for pedal and the removed big Allen bolt. Move pedal out of way and lightly grease all plastic bushing and bolt washer etc. reinstall and bam no squeak and pedal feel silky smooth. Be very cautious on tightening little screws so not to strip.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the info folks.  Mine was also squeaking (brand new).

i took the back off and unscrewed the large bolt using allen wrench, put a little WD-40 (off a qtip, didn't spray directly) onto the plastic washer and surrounds.. seems to have fixed.  Will see how long that lasts.

It's VERY simple to do.

I haven't tried, but duncann above used chapstick. No liquid to run and wax stays put. Is there any reason not to use chapstick. I was thinking unflavored. Or will it go rancid?

Lol. Rancid.

I use the same stuff on the knife edges of my edge tremolo. It's specifically the original, "unflavoured". When I did this, I put it on the surfaces that contact each other that are parallel to the big allen-bolt. Anything that spills, or squishes out from this, just wipe away, so it minimizes any globs just sitting there out in the open that only collects dust.

• 1 year later...

What about applying WD40 ? 

What about applying WD40 ? 

WD40 can be a corrosive substance. Bad over time.

Since I applied the Chapstick once, it's still fine after about a year. Although I don't use the pedal an extravagant amount. It's still much better than when I first got my Helix.

Get yourself a small bottle of TriFlow. It comes with a thin diameter plastic applicator tube that fits into the tip of the bottle. TriFlow will not attract any grime, grit, dust, etc. One drop works wonders!

• 4 years later...

I started getting the dreaded squeaks on my LT pedal.  Here's what I did:

1. Take a straight flat piece of thin flexible plastic, something from packaging; standard around 1/3 mm thick.  E.g.:

2. with scissors, cut out a knife-shaped pointy spatula/knife out of the plastic

3. take any chapstick, any flavor.  Apply a little bit (less than the amount of sulfur on the tip of a match stick) with the plastic knife to both sides of the EXP pedal, through the slits.   The plastic knife is thin enough that it will get where the washers are.  Do not force anything. 

4. rock the pedal back and forth and the squeaking is gone. 

No need to disassemble anything.  Do not spray anything like WD-40 b/c it'll damage the electronics.  Chapstick is a awesome! 

image.png.4ef8b4cac5121ca82734badc7f8a989b.png

I used a silicone lubricant made by 3in1.  In my case it took a few applications to get a permanent result.  It worked immediately after the first time but then went back to creaking after about a month.  I did it again and it lasted 6 months.  I did it a third time and it has not creaked for about 4 years now.  Silicone is apparently the safest lubricant for use on the synthetic rubber bushing on the treadle but I suspect it takes some time for it to .... I dunno .... become impregnated into the rubber maybe?  I'm not sure exactly why it took several applications but it did work in the long run.