Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impressions...

JordanW2157

I'm just running into some headphones. They're a great pair of headphones for this though. I mean the tone the guy has is great. I can't get close to that and the headphones can't make that much a difference I wouldn't think. I'm also using a stock 2003 Gibson SG Standard

Did you try downloading some patches from L6?  Some of those are pretty nice.  For me, I had to start with simple amp and cab combinations and build from there.  I also downloaded some aftermarket IRs

So, I had one of the first helix, I also was not happy with things not working properly, I sent it back...... But I kept wondering if something was just not right with that unit. So I reordered.. WELL THIS NEW ONE SOUNDS AND WORKS AMAZING! I run les Paul to helix to mackie 350v2 on a pole. My xlr cable is a 100 ohm, run xlr mono out to mackie. It seems to get better tone thru that cable for me than standard xlr cable. It doesn't take much even to make the factory presets sound good just fiddle with amp eq, gain and change mics and distance and boom. But just make your own to taste or buy great patches from people on this forum. When I play live I set my mackie in front of me as my wedge monitor but when I try to make presets I run it on a poll so it gets pretty close tone wise as FOH speakers suspended. Cheers

Let me get one thing clear. The sound coming through the headphones is great. The tone is what I'm after. Just that feeling of a Marshall is amazing. Very punchy. I love that and want that. hah. I feel like I'm doing something wrong here. The marshall tones all sound the same to me so I'm probably messing something up. Again, I'll play with it more tonight when I'm off work. 

What throws me is how the guy in the video I posted has the stock preset and changed a few things and got that sound. I've changed every I can and cannot get close in terms of tone. But again, I'll keep trying. I'm going to take one of my presets from my Amplifi and plug all the perimeters into the helix and see if I can match that tone at least.

What throws me is how the guy in the video I posted has the stock preset and changed a few things and got that sound. I've changed every I can and cannot get close in terms of tone. But again, I'll keep trying. I'm going to take one of my presets from my Amplifi and plug all the perimeters into the helix and see if I can match that tone at least.

You can't approach tone matching as if it were a cocktail recipe. Trying to do it by duplicating what some guy in a video claims to have done with any one piece of gear, is a crap shoot at best. Too many variables at play. Trial and error is unavoidable.

• Upvote 1

You can't approach tone matching as if it were a cocktail recipe. Trying to do it by duplicating what some guy in a video claims to have done with any one piece of gear, is a crap shoot at best. Too many variables at play. Trial and error is unavoidable.

Oh understandable. But what I'm hearing is a huge difference between his sound and mine. Like something is wrong with my Helix because it's just not sounding right to me but I'll do more tests later. Maybe I'm just too tired still :P haha.

I never did like my Helix into any of my headphones.  Sounds way better into my 12" coaxial powered monitor.  I've also plugged straight into a tube power amp and into a cab and gotten some great tones.  For some reason, headphones just don't do it for me.  I guess I'll have to go purchase some of those $200 types...  LoL!

Love my Helix, though!  Many compliments on my live tone through my monitor and straight to JBL PA!!!

I never did like my Helix into any of my headphones. Sounds way better into my 12" coaxial powered monitor. I've also plugged straight into a tube power amp and into a cab and gotten some great tones. For some reason, headphones just don't do it for me. I guess I'll have to go purchase some of those $200 types... LoL!

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for...cheapo $8 headphones or ear buds are not gonna have anything approaching a flat response. No good for tone-shaping. But there are a number of good options in the $100-$125 range that should work quite nicely.

• Upvote 1

Headphones I have are around $100 or so.

Well price doesn't guarantee a flat frequency response, which is what you want for this particular application. So the issues you're having may or may not have anything to do with the cans you're using...the only way to tell is to try some others. All I meant was you don't have to break the bank to get decent headphones.

Mine aren't cheap, but I think they were geared more toward commercial music than flat response.

Too boomy in the lows and fizzy in the highs. Any recommendations for true flat response headphones

that won't completely break the bank?

AKG240S...right around a hundred bucks, most places. But really anything that's specifically sold as "studio monitor" headphones should work fine.

I'd avoid any closed-back designs, as they tend to be a little bottom-heavy. Plus, when the wife starts throwing stuff at you because you can't hear while you're playing, the open-backed ones will allow you to respond without pulling them off your head first...;)

Hopefully in global ins/outs you have set headphone monitor to 1/4" or xlr, if left on multi it seems to cancel out the global eq. Read somewhere that global eq isn't applied to the digital outs. Just got mine yesterday so still experimenting, with settings myself. Even with the above still not mightily impressed with the headphone sound, bit of reverb definitely helps some of quite dry factory presets, obviously it's quite unnatural to hear a guitar amp that's not in a space. Still...I've only just started the voyage of discovery.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully in global ins/outs you have set headphone monitor to 1/4" or xlr, if left on multi it seems to cancel out the global eq. Read somewhere that global eq isn't applied to the digital outs. Just got mine yesterday so still experimenting, with settings myself. Even with the above still not mightily impressed with the headphone sound, bit of reverb definitely helps some of quite dry factory presets, obviously it's quite unnatural to hear a guitar amp that's not in a space. Still...I've only just started the voyage of discovery.

Thanks for the tip. Still need to play around with it :)

Helix does sound great with good headphones. I use it with Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, which I used for many years with the HD500 too. But you have always adjust the patches to fit your gear. I really never use any of the custome tones as they are - most of them do not sound good at all with my equipment. Some don't sound as bad and I try to adjust them to my needs.

Mine aren't cheap, but I think they were geared more toward commercial music than flat response.

Too boomy in the lows and fizzy in the highs. Any recommendations for true flat response headphones

that won't completely break the bank?

Look no further

http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681-evo-black-professional-monitor-headphones

I got some of these earlier this week to help with creating tones on my firehawk , they are a semi open back set with quite a flat response

I read the reviews and took a punt on them , for the money they are absolutely incredible

Just 29 English pounds

• 1 year later...

I'll be looking into those! Thanks :)

Funny - I came across this thread after someone posted my old clip on TGP.

Did you ever get things worked out with the Helix?

I think the single coils in the Suhr are great sounding pickups and would be way different than your SG.

The headphones I was using are cheapie AKGs - nothing fancy.