Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tube Preamp into Pod Gx

Good morning all, wondering:

I own a pod Gx since a couple of years and I  just bought a new Condenser Mic with a preamp (TubeMP) exlusively to record acoustic guitar.

I know that the POD GX has an "Instrument' level input and the TubeMP has a "Line" level output (Z= 300 Ohms). Apart the fact that I'll need to adjust the output level knob from the preamp to not overload the Pod Gx, is there any other issues I might encounter regarding the sound quality?

I love the POD Gx as it does what I need and I wouldn't want to upgrade to an Mic preamp/Instrument combo audio interface.

Thanks for advice.

Alain

Or the question for Line6 Techs would be: How many dB max the GX input level can handle?

I read somewhere that it is calibrated for -18db for proper signal to use with Pod Farm, However can I feed a -4 dB signal from a preamp to the Pod Gx when using directly in a DAW? (ie: without using Pod Farm)

Sure I can set my mic preamp level to -18dB and enable the "+16dB" in POD Farm mixer but I have concerns about the level of noise that this can induce. That's why I prefer to have the mic preamp at the right level first without having to boost in the Asio Driver.

Thanks

Thanks for reply ffl...  :)

I did and seems to works OK.

But since the POD Gx is designed to received an "instrument" level signal and on which is calibrated for -18dB, I just wanted to get the assurance from Line6 tech that the POD Gx was able to received "Line" level  signal @ about -4db as well and not to overload since there is no indication of peak on the device and damage it over time.

Also, and more importantly, I wanted to know by the fact that i'm using a LINE level into INST Level, if there is an alteration of the sound quality signal (Freq range, noise level) due to impedance mismatch. I have nothing to compare with.

Think I got my answer from another user archive. So I believe I need to get rid of my TubeMP & PODGX and get a Mic preamp/Instrument combo audio interface...!

If I still want to use the POD GX, I'll need to adjust the output of the tube preamp to approx -20dB and than boost it in the DAW which, unless i'm wrong, I'm not sure it's the right way to do it... sound quality speaking.

http://fr.line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/62080/

Re: RE: POD Studio + pre-amp
by darealagentp on 2011-04-27 10:55:02

Hmm... there could be a possibility of your amp's emulated line level signal overloading the input circuit of the GX. GX's only provide you with 1 input option: the instrument level input that's looking for a guitar's pickup signal-level input source.

With the next model up (UX1), that device offers the option for 2 "Line Inputs" in addition to the Instrument input and an XLR mic input, too.

I think you might have clipping issues trying to feed the Instrument input of a GX with a line-level signal from an amp.

Also:

Re: RE: POD Studio + pre-amp
by darealagentp on 2011-04-27 11:52:55

That's what I had previously mentioned. Sorry if this wasn't clear before.

The POD Studio GX's only input is designed to receive "instrument-level" input signal.

If you send a line-level signal, there's a good chance that this will overload the 1/4" Instrument Level input jack's components.

The POD GX was designed to see a direct signal from the guitar itself, and not a line-level source. This is one of the reasons why it's the lowest-priced USB interface we offer... the input options are not as great as the other units above it: UX1, UX2, KB37.

Only the next model above the GX (the POD Studio UX1) will have the hardware options for you to run a line-level signal (via the Line 1 and Line 2 input jacks on the back).