Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume and wah

capdoogie

Ok, so I hooked up a line 6 expression pedal to exp 2. I have volume block and wah block. When I click down to activate wah on helix built in pedal, wah turns on and volume pedal deactivates. When I click down again volume turns back on and wah turns off. My question, is there any way to keep the volume on and workable all the time regardless of wah on or off?

It seems the expression pedal switch toggles a volume block, even multiple ones, whether you want it to or not. I can't find a way to prevent that.

As a workaround, you could assign the wah to a footswitch, and just not use the expression pedal switch.

Select your wah block with the joystick.  Press menu (next to SAVE button).  Press controller assign.  Select Learn Controller.  Move your expression pedal back and forth.  Your expression pedal is now your wah and your built in pedal should handle volume.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I just ran into this issue, and it really seems like an oversight. When you add a volume pedal block, it should default to "None" for the footswitch assignment, instead of "EXP Toe". On top of that, all of the factory presets with volume pedal blocks have this problem, and should be fixed.

Would you guys agree? Maybe we can bring it up in the bug thread, and/or open a support ticket?

I'd say no about the factory presets, but when adding a volume block, or any block, I agree that it should have no assignments on it for the sake of consistency because when it does you have to carry extra rules or exceptions around in your head, that are easily forgotten about, when building presets. But it's a very minor thing and also a matter of preference. I wouldn't consider it a bug. You could put it up an ideascale.

For the time being I'd suggest saving your own template with the volume situated where you'd like, and the assignments set up as you'd like (or unassigned as the case may be) - then you can refer to that as your boiler plate.

... good place to store various tidbits for reference - you can copy those blocks to your new presets and those aspects will come along for the ride (I trust I'm right about that; hopefully that doesn't work like the custom labels, which don't come along).

• 9 months later...

I find this problem extremely irritating : I want to be able to click my wah on and​ control my volume with and external expression pedal at the same time, why is that so difficult? I don't see why there are three exp's when turning one of them on makes the others redundant. To get around this problem I decided to splash out on a Boss volume pedal and slot it in a send/return, or an FX loop.............. guess what, the same thing happens - stomp down on the wah and the FX or S/R block turns off, and so I've just wasted £85 !, ( I know could go straight into the volume pedal, but I don't want to and don't see why I should ).

Come on Line6.......... I have, and still use, a Line6 Vetta II - I can do it on that, I had an HD 500 - and I could do it on that too, and I've had a few other Line6 products. I bought my Vetta II when they first came out, and it's awesome still, so I'm a long-time Line6 devotee, but this is making me wonder. The Helix costs an awful lot of money, and to have both wah and volume on at the same time seems to me a basic requirement.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I've been tearing out what's left of my hair trying to work it, and reading all the blogs it seems there's a multitude of Line6 users out there equally frustrated - the suggestions don't work.

I find this problem extremely irritating : I want to be able to click my wah on and​ control my volume with and external expression pedal at the same time, why is that so difficult? I don't see why there are three exp's when turning one of them on makes the others redundant. 

You want to be able to use on board expression for wah, and external expression pedal for volume? I just want to be sure I am understanding you correctly. 

I find this problem extremely irritating : I want to be able to click my wah on and​ control my volume with and external expression pedal at the same time, why is that so difficult? I don't see why there are three exp's when turning one of them on makes the others redundant. To get around this problem I decided to splash out on a Boss volume pedal and slot it in a send/return, or an FX loop.............. guess what, the same thing happens - stomp down on the wah and the FX or S/R block turns off, and so I've just wasted £85 !, ( I know could go straight into the volume pedal, but I don't want to and don't see why I should ).

Come on Line6.......... I have, and still use, a Line6 Vetta II - I can do it on that, I had an HD 500 - and I could do it on that too, and I've had a few other Line6 products. I bought my Vetta II when they first came out, and it's awesome still, so I'm a long-time Line6 devotee, but this is making me wonder. The Helix costs an awful lot of money, and to have both wah and volume on at the same time seems to me a basic requirement.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I've been tearing out what's left of my hair trying to work it, and reading all the blogs it seems there's a multitude of Line6 users out there equally frustrated - the suggestions don't work.

I'm not sure what you're saying the issue is... What exactly are you wanting to do? I don't get what you mean by saying turning on one of the pedals makes the others redundant.

I don't think this is the case, but are you talking about an actual wah, and not a wah block inside Helix?

But I see no reason you can't do what you want. There are no volume pedals or wah pedals. There are expression controllers, and in the case of volume or wah you typically assign the volume parameter from a volume block or the position parameter from a wah block to an expression controller. The physical onboard pedal can control either EXP1 or EXP2 at one time, depending on if you have a physical expression pedal plugged into EXP2. But you indicate you have an external expression pedal, so plug that into EXP2 and assign the wah to EXP1 (maybe even use the auto activate feature) and the volume to EXP2. Or vice-versa.

I suspect what's happened here is that the default assignment is lurking in the background of this - OP needs to go in and probably de-assign the EXP1 from controlling the VOLUME block... and/or the toe switch needs to be de-assigned from controlling the on/off state of the volume block.

Sounds like right now the toe switch is see-sawing the on/off states of both the wah and the volume - just need to remove that from the volume block by highlighting the volume block and go into control assignments, and change the on/off controller assign to 'none' so that it's always active and controlled by the external EXP (2 I assume).