Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mac OS X Aggregate Interface

allennobles

Is it possible to combine Helix with another audio interface (in my situation, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40) to create an aggregate audio device in OS X?

I know there have been issues with some people having issues between Helix (via USB) and OS X.  And I know that testing my setup, as well as all the other possibilities, is not something that any company is going to dive in to.  

I'm just curious if:

1.  Is it possible?

2.  Has anybody tried this.

I imagine it *will* be possible once Line 6 fixes the Helix's USB connectivity issues. Currently, You cannot use input and output simultaneously from the Helix on a Mac as the output turns into garbled digital distortion, rendering the feature unusable.

Once they fix that issue via a firmware update or something, setting up an aggregate is pretty straight-forward otherwise. I currently have an Eleven Rack running alongside an Apogee Quartet with no issue.

Of course, this is just speculation.

The aggregate device is setup in the operating system. It effectively makes any audio software see a single device with lots of channels rather than multiple devices.

As jshimkoski said, once Line 6 fixes the OSX USB audio issues, it should be simple to set up.

Is it possible to combine Helix with another audio interface (in my situation, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40) to create an aggregate audio device in OS X?

I know there have been issues with some people having issues between Helix (via USB) and OS X.  And I know that testing my setup, as well as all the other possibilities, is not something that any company is going to dive in to.  

I'm just curious if:

1.  Is it possible?

2.  Has anybody tried this.

I've done it with a Metric Halo 2882 into Logic with no issues, but I haven't updated to El Capitan. The aggregate option has been solid for me for many years with a variety of interfaces. I know it's sport to rubbish Apple but they do some very nice things audio wise

It's totally doable in Logic! I've done it with Helix and Apogee Ensemble (Thunderbolt) as well as all kinds of other combinations of audio boxes. The only problem, as noted elsewhere, is that the Helix USB audio implementation is somewhat flakey and needs a good overhaul. SOON I HOPE!