Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise when switching amp models

tmntshredder

I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this in the past, but I am experiencing a popping noise when I switch amp models within a preset. This only occurs when I'm in stomp mode, not when I'm switching from one preset to the next. With the delay in preset switching, the problem makes live use difficult. I'm running Helix in 4cm with a 5150III. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I was running 4CM using the template and was getting popping switching back to my amp's pre from the helix. You getting the same or are you just getting pops when switching between two modeled pre-amps?

Both actually. If I switch within a preset the popping is there. I do run the full amp models though, not the preamps. I think the full models sound way better.

• 2 months later...

I am running my Helix in 4CM with a EVH5150III 50watt head.  I have different presets for green, blue and red channels and I'm switching channels via midi cable.  When I switch from either the blue or red channel to the clean green channel, I always get a loud popping sound.  I'm not using any amp/speaker/ir modelling in my presets.  I haven't figured out how to deal with it yet either.  I haven't tried assigning midi switching in stomp mode within a single preset to see if I still get the popping sound though.  May try that later today.

Hmm - I don't like the sound of that :(  I'm planning to use my Helix in 4cm mostly - but with my Laney, H&K or Marshall amps.

Now I do know that popping when switching is caused by a build up of charge / voltage somewhere that gets released when you switch.

I remember that with some true bypass pedal builds they recommend putting a small component to sort this out... think it might be as simple as a small resistor.  (or was it a capacitor.. hmm).   I will have to look it up to be sure.   It might be possible just to wire one of these in the jack socket of the cables between the 5150III and the Helix if the two drives aren't playing with each other nicely.

I am running my Helix in 4CM with a EVH5150III 50watt head.  I have different presets for green, blue and red channels and I'm switching channels via midi cable.  When I switch from either the blue or red channel to the clean green channel, I always get a loud popping sound.  I'm not using any amp/speaker/ir modelling in my presets.  I haven't figured out how to deal with it yet either.  I haven't tried assigning midi switching in stomp mode within a single preset to see if I still get the popping sound though.  May try that later today.

So I figured out that when I am switching presets from the blue/red channel preset over to the green channel preset I only get the popping sound if I'm sustaining a chord or a note.  In other words, I don't get the popping if I'm not playing at the moment I'm switching presets.

I also setup a single preset that contains separate foot switches in stomp mode to only change the channels (separate switches for green, blue and red).  I do not get any popping when switching any of the channels (via midi) in stomp mode regardless of whether I am playing chords/notes or not during the switching.

• 11 months later...

I get it about once or twice a night. A small pop or crack...like a small firecracker, when I switch banks. Then last night , I was just playing .... didn't make any changes, in a clean patch in a small lounge and it BOOOMED!  Not Cool!  Like it was nasty loud, and I think some in the crowd might have felt a mild heart attack.  Now I'm fairly afraid to play tonight.

We will need this bug fixed, and the faster the better.