Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wow Just got Helix....sound study vs Fractal

rstepan

The Line 6 genius collective created the most versatile and beautiful pedal...Helix

I have the Fractal FX II and making a comparison with the new Helix

The user interface on the Helix is second to none....period

You don't need to read the manual...it's like an IPad...completely intuitive .

The large screen is really a work of genius....and building new patches takes less than a minute

Light years ahead of any floor pedal

theFractal is very, very good...but the Helix delivers on par or better sound without the hours needed to build an amp from scratch......I would rather be playing guitar than programming patches......

Line 6 really improved their amp modeling and the real test is turning down your guitar volume....the Helix responds like a real amp and cleans up beautifully .....very sensitive to your picking...very amp like...

Here is my first week summary of this new guy....

2. Sonic realism and clean signal with latest and greatest chip set....

A. The Main Processors - Analog Devices ADSP-21469 SHARC Processors

3. Touch capacitive footswitches......brilliant

4 scribble pad for each footswitch. ...the best idea for live playing...no more tape-sharpie

5. Effects are better than TC Electronics and more sonically matched to the modern guitar

6. IR cab capabilities ....future cool

7. 4 sends. 4 receives all assignable.....what look out Fractal you've been served!

8. More ins and outs on the back for any possible setup

9."phantom powered mic input....

10. Create multiple everything....different signal paths....

11. Huge main User interface

12. I Can see the tuner from 100 ft away

It is easy to believe they spent 6 years developing this Flagship processor

They really designed this with the working guitarist professional in mind and have loaded it with

So many positives....and the sound is beautiful.....I have mine patched to my Mesa head and Orange Th30,

Marshall 40c and Hughes and Kettner 38 all at the same time....using different signal paths....at gigs

It sounds so 3 dimensional and warm,

• Upvote 11

Though they are great sounding boxes, I sold my Kemper and my Axe FX II. Once I was satisfied with the sound and feel, I was glad to not have to sacrifice tone and playability to get away from having a separate rack AND foot pedal to control it. Simple setup and great interface!

Your post was very well written!!!

I like the Helix due to dual DSP chips and multiple amps per patch. I mean I went from the full current top of the line Axe FX II XL+. Ax8 is a slightly crippled version of that. However, both are excellent solutions that are way better than something like the mid market pod HD500 series.

Very interesting! I can't decide between an ax8 and the helix...which one would you suggest?

They are both great. If you have to have the sound of Fractal, you can't miss with AX8 I'm sure. You just might wait a while.

I need the flexibility of a box like Helix, and AX8 wouldn't give me dual paths, nor would the Axe II plus foot controller be anywhere near my price range.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting! I can't decide between an ax8 and the helix...which one would you suggest?

helix, best floorboard available....soooo easy to use and dial up great tones

This thread was brought to you by the Musicians in Support of Advanced Modeling Super PAC.  It has not been endorsed by any candidate and is privately funded.  Major funding provided by private citizens, musicians, engineers and The Council For Making The Big Two Into The Big Three.

Helix will only get better, too. I'm thinking with the higher than projected early sales that the engineering crew will be adding plenty more models and tweaks!

It is what I think, and hope as well.

I mean there are also still so many holding out for the rack version, myself included. Add that to the already higher than projected sales of the floor processor...

• 11 months later...

Sold my Axe FX II and got the Helix.  The Helix is very well done and sounds great.  Throw in some impulse responses and you will discover an even wider array of tone.  I use it with a Mesa Mark V and sometimes add a pedal or two via FX Loops.  Configuration flexibility is awesome.  

Nothing against the Axe FX II.  I really enjoyed it.  I simply like the Helix more.

I also spent some time studying the AX8 and the Helix before buying (which should be ... next week!!!) , and what made the difference for me is:

- FX loops: I intend to keep using a few distortion pedals, my Micro Pog (and probably my amp). Well, at least at first :) Maybe I will drop everything once I find out I can get the same sound (or better) with just Helix. Maybe I give this a too high priority.

- Dual path: I don't want to spend extra money on EQ, reverb and DI for my piezo pickup (used in conjunction with the magnetic pickups)

- User Interface: nothing more to add :)

- Expectations on evolutions: Helix lacks a few features that would be really cool for me, but there is generally an acceptable bypass. I also rely on what I saw on this forum: Line 6 seems determined to keep making Helix better and better.

Raph

I enjoy reading reviews and comments from people who own the systems they review. 

Before I bought my helix I was set on a new Ax fx II.  Then my girlfriend was like how much is it, why do you need it, etc etc.  So I settled on getting the rack and controller.  Piecing it out so it wasn't as big of a hit to my wallet.  So she was happy that I went the cheaper route.

All I can say is I'm in love.  100% recommend the helix!  I'm sure I would have loved the Ax FX as well, but I guess I'll never know :)

For anyone still on the fence between the Helix and AX8:

I own both the Helix and the AX8. Both are amazing at what they do. As it has been said a thousand times before. Helix is way easier to use, has more routing options and has a MUCH better screen. No arguing that. And sounds WAY better than Line 6's past efforts in this market IMO.

The AX8 amp sims and effects, for me sound a little better (not WAY better) and has more variety of sounds to choose from as your taste changes. Obviously option overload in some cases. Some people talk about Fractal having a head start in terms of amp models available but I disagree. Line 6 has been in the game for WAY longer. Some of the amps I will probably never use. But the effects are really nice. 

With that said, when I got my Helix I started programming it for live shows and it was so easy. Had it up and running in no time. The AX8 however does take a bit more time to get up and running and to wrap your head around. But once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. Especially with the computer editor. Forget about programming it via it's screen. It can be done, but the learning curve would be immense IMO! After a month with it, I could confidently say that I could make tweaks via the onboard screen at a show. No issue. Whatever one is best for you simply depends on your work flow and how much time you're willing to invest.

TIP: DO NOT and I repeat do not dial in your sounds with headphones. That may be common knowledge at this point but I thought that I'd throw it out there anyways because it wasn't for me. Get a PA speaker and dial it in at loud volumes. Studio monitors are OK but if you plan on using it live, use a PA speaker. What sounds good on a PA speaker will probably not sound good to you with headphones.

You can't loose with either of these units. What a great time to be a musician! Cheers guys and happy tone chasing!