Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix and eventide h9 midi controller

ormen67

hi guys..love the my Helix...really do....still i would love to also use my eventide H9 max and control the tempo. using the Helix.. in the past i would use the Hd500x and m13 (cause of dsp) and controlled the m13 through midi (tap tempo, scenes)...i am havin a hard time...trying to set up the Helix to sent tap tempo to the eventide...i have looked at the manual...but i still can't get it to work...any help please..

thank you all

Well, the Helix doesn't have MIDI clock functionality yet so it can't send or receive tempo data that way (I would be surprised if this isn't added sometime in the future). The H9 doesn't appear to have a MIDI CC dedicated to tap tempo, so right now, if you want to control the H9's tempo from the Helix, you're going to need an external device like this: http://www.moltenvoltage.com/products/TEMPODE_by_PedalSync_-_PedalBoard_MIDI_Clock_Injector_by_Molten_Voltage.html

With this, you could assign a MIDI CC to the Helix's tap tempo switch and that would be converted to MIDI clock data to be sent to the H9. The only downside is that it requires you to always update the tempo via tapping.

You could also do it the other way around and have the H9 control the Helix's tempo. It would be more automatic since the H9 can send MIDI clock. It would always be syncing the Helix to the H9. http://www.moltenvoltage.com/products/SIXY_by_PedalSync_Line_6_Tempo_Control_by_Molten_Voltage.htmlThis device turns MIDI clock data into the correct MIDI CC for the Helix's tap tempo.

thanks for the response....i do have to use the Helilx as the controller though...i want to also send program changes to the H9...if i use an external time clock through the H9 first then i wont be able to change presets to the h9 from the helix....so i the tempode is what i need in front of the helix....thank you so much...

Sorry to contradict, but the H9 most definitely can respond to a MIDI CC to access the tap tempo function. In the H9 app, go to Pedal > MIDI Settings> Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions. Tap tempo is the fifth option down, you can choose the CC number and then assign a Helix Foot switch to a momentary transmitting the same CC on the correct MIDI channel.

Sorry to contradict, but the H9 most definitely can respond to a MIDI CC to access the tap tempo function. In the H9 app, go to Pedal > MIDI Settings> Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions. Tap tempo is the fifth option down, you can choose the CC number and then assign a Helix Foot switch to a momentary transmitting the same CC on the correct MIDI channel.

Well, there you go... The external device isn't really necessary. Just program whatever CC you want to control the H9's tap tempo to the Helix's tap tempo switch (in every patch on the Helix), and it will be good to go.

I missed the above info in the H9's manual, but I was just looking at the MIDI implementation chart at the back.

it is good to know that i don't have to buy anything else...but before i opened the topic, i had tried something like that...and it did not work....i'm sure i was not properly setting the helix....sorry for asking...as my midi knowledge isn't that great...how exactly do you set up the helix to do this...per page 49 on the Helix manual i was usingmidi channel-1 cc-64 value-127...but it did not work...i had gone to the..trying to set up instant 1 to do this. i want it to automatically keep my tempo per patch....what am i doing wrong...and thanks again guys for all of ya'lls help

it is good to know that i don't have to buy anything else...but before i opened the topic, i had tried something like that...and it did not work....i'm sure i was not properly setting the helix....sorry for asking...as my midi knowledge isn't that great...how exactly do you set up the helix to do this...per page 49 on the Helix manual i was usingmidi channel-1 cc-64 value-127...but it did not work...i had gone to the..trying to set up instant 1 to do this. i want it to automatically keep my tempo per patch....what am i doing wrong...and thanks again guys for all of ya'lls help

You need to program a CC to whatever the footswitch you want to use to control the H9's tempo. I assume you'll want to use the Helix's tap tempo switch since that means that whenever you tap a tempo in on the Helix, it will be sent to the H9 automatically. You'll have to set it up in every patch you use on the Helix, though.

As far as how to do it on the Helix, you definitely don't want it as an instant command - it won't work that way. Follow the instructions on Page 37 of the manual about assigning a command to a footswitch. Select FS12 (the tap tempo switch) and pick a CC to send to the H9. The H9's tap tempo can be set to respond to whatever CC you want, so you can choose whatever you like. CC64 is what Line 6 uses, so it might be good practice to keep similar commands on the same CC.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...