Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impulse Responses by cabIR.eu

arndtp

To reiterate zooey's question: do you have any XMAS GIVE AWAY offer for non-facebook users? There are actually many of us here who could end up being CabIR.eu customers.

I tried your VOX sample a while back. It was good, but only 1 IR. If your Xmas offer introduces me to a wide range of Fender, Vox, and other lower-gain cabs you might have a paying customer!

Allright guys. MY OFFER for you:

Due to the fact, i`m actually busy with some projects and running out of time to do `teaser packs`or something at the moment:

Let`s do it on a faithful base of trust: Purchase one IR-library of your interest. Test it. Check it. And if you then can look with peace of conscience in the mirror and say: "Unfortunately, it`s not for me. I deleted all the IRs from my Helix and my Computer..." let me know via Email ( markus.hohmann@cabir.eu ) and i will refund you via paypal.

To be exactly: This "repayment offer if unsatisfied" starts from now and end at Christmas - 24th december and is valid exclusiveley for the first order. On the other hand: If you like, what you get - spread the word and leave a comment at least at the comment section of the product page at www.cabir.eu. Deal?

Means: All the risk is on my side. So be fair and don`t screw me! Fair enough?!

That's an excellent offer. Thanks for your consideration and response Markus.

OK non-Facebook folks - we can't ask for better than that. It's no risk to take any on of the IR packages for a test drive for 10 days. I'm off to do that right now.

It's up to us to be fair to Markus. If we like it, keep it and make a positive comment. If not - stop using it, delete it, don't share it, send the email as described and get your refund  ..... don't screw him!

(Now we may hear from the non-Paypal folks ....... whom I would encourage Markus to ignore. Enough is enough! :lol: )

• Upvote 1

Now we may hear from the non-Paypal folks ...... whom I would encourage Markus to ignore. Enough is enough! :lol: )

It´s the only quick & easy way i can guarantee easy "backrolling" - IF  the worst case scenario - wasting your time to unsatisfaction - will happen (although i do believe, this will hopefully not happen) ... :o

I have all the Marshall speakers from CabIR.eu and they are my go to IRs.

I also have most Redwirez and Ownhammer speakers.

The CabIR.eu speakers are very clear, and natural sounding. And if there is any harshness, that's because it was in the original real cab, the 8x10 for example.

What works for me is sometimes mixing a CabIR.eu 20w greenback with a Redwirez 20w greenback for classic rock with a Plexi.

You get more depth this way.

I could post samples, but really its what You can get out of them that matters.

Al

And if there is any harshness, that's because it was in the original real cab, the 8x10 for example.

True: The MR-8X10, based on a1968 Marshall 1990 Lead 80 is bright, as you will figure out for yourself if you listen to this comparison with the similiar cab and a vintage 4X12:

Although, i love this cab for darker sounding Amps like the 1970 Plexi on the Axe-Fx II or certain "tweed fendrish" style Amps. Super vintage. reminds me to Black Sabbath (Paranoid) or Led Zeppelin (whole lotta love) kinda 60ies vintage tones. Combined with the tweeds, i end up in keith richards area *lol ... :)

Ever tried doin` some mixes with the single mics from the RAW folder? Or with different cabs within the Sigi`s finest IR-library collection? Did you checked out my  "HOW TO USE" slides, where i tried to put some background related tips in ... ? Maybe this will give some new ideas ... for own findings... ;)

Cheers

Markus

That's an excellent offer. Thanks for your consideration and response Markus.

OK non-Facebook folks - we can't ask for better than that. It's no risk to take any on of the IR packages for a test drive for 10 days. I'm off to do that right now.

It's up to us to be fair to Markus. If we like it, keep it and make a positive comment. If not - stop using it, delete it, don't share it, send the email as described and get your refund  ..... don't screw him!

(Now we may hear from the non-Paypal folks ....... whom I would encourage Markus to ignore. Enough is enough! :lol: )

I agree. An excellent offer. I decided to give the Orange a try so i've just splashed out the 13 euros. Looking forward to test them tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Okay. I've only tested the Orange IR's for about ten minutes or so but i'm impressed. Not only are the IR's quality stuff but the manual is top notch as well. The lib is quite comprehensive and may seem overwhelming. But in my opinion all those variations is equal to possibilities and nothing else. Take the Ambient ones for instance. Maybe not suitable for tight metal rhythm guitars but they could come in handy for eerie acoustic guitar sections. Just think endless possibilities.

​All in all I'm quite satisfied with them and they are certainly on par with Ownhammer, 3SA and Rosen Digital. The manual is where cabir scores a home run IMHO.

• Upvote 1

I found a little bit of magic this morning. I took advantage of this offer and downloaded a package that includes the JIMI cab. I tried the Tube Amp version (interesting concept!) of the CAB mix with the SM57 mic paired with the Helix US Double Nrm preamp - not full amp. WOW! With the Variax Spank model The Wind Cried Mary for a while there!

I A/B'd this with the corresponding HELIX full amp and what I believe is the closest matching cab (the Greenback 25) using the Helix SM57 model. I used both the Low Cut and High Cut filters at the same setting in both the Helix cab and the IR for the comparison. I've gotta say I much preferred the Helix preamp with the cabIR.eu IR. It just seems tighter, more punchy, and breathes more like a tube amp - just as described.

I'll be doing much more testing before the Dec24 refund deadline but right now I think it's a keeper.

• Upvote 1

I found a little bit of magic this morning. I took advantage of this offer and downloaded a package that includes the JIMI cab. I tried the Tube Amp version (interesting concept!) of the CAB mix with the SM57 mic paired with the Helix US Double Nrm preamp - not full amp. WOW! With the Variax Spank model The Wind Cried Mary for a while there!

I A/B'd this with the corresponding HELIX full amp and what I believe is the closest matching cab (the Greenback 25) using the Helix SM57 model. I used both the Low Cut and High Cut filters at the same setting in both the Helix cab and the IR for the comparison. I've gotta say I much preferred the Helix preamp with the cabIR.eu IR. It just seems tighter, more punchy, and breathes more like a tube amp - just as described.

I'll be doing much more testing before the Dec24 refund deadline but right now I think it's a keeper.

Interesting concept.

For me the Orange cab is a keeper. No doubt about it. They are not as polished as some of the impulses from Rosen or 3SA. Much more "raw" in a sense, just like the Helix cabs IMHO. But with the low/high pass filter in place they sound really awesome.

• Upvote 1

Yes, interesting concept. After further experimentation I prefer using the full Helix Amp model with the I-version of the IRs rather than the Helix preamp model with the T-version of the IRs. But both seem more clear and crisp than using the Helix cabs. That may say more about my lack of understanding and ability in tweaking the Helix cabs (e.g. juggling mic distance and early reflections, neither of which are IR parameters). To me it's simpler to just plug in an IR, once you've weeded through the many possibilities and their meanings.

• Upvote 1

I generally use two IR cabs. Sometimes the I version with a P (pushed bass) version.

The unique and interesting option with CabIR.eu is the Ambient option.

You can blend it with a regualar IR.

Then just lower the output of the Ambient IR to reduce its strength.

As a Marshall user, I like the Honk you get from it.

Have a listen to just that, using a boosted Fender amp all in the Helix.

https://soundcloud.com/ju287v3/cabir-honk-wav

• Upvote 1

Okay. I've only tested the Orange IR's for about ten minutes or so but i'm impressed. Not only are the IR's quality stuff but the manual is top notch as well.

I bought the Orange IRs from CabIR two weeks ago, and one of its IRs has become my favourite IR (I own a lot from Ownhammer): OR-4X12_SIG_05_TR - one of the Signature-Mixes. Using it with the German Ubersonic or Anchor Lead you can create impressive crunch and lead sounds.

I must say: All the IRs that are delivered in an IR pack are too much for me … It's hard to find the one you like. But the Signature-Mixes are a good starting point for the Orange IRs.

• Upvote 1

I generally use two IR cabs. Sometimes the I version with a P (pushed bass) version.

I kinda agree. The ambient IR is quite unique and i'm sure they will serve some purpose down the road. The sample you posted has an almost "live" feeling about it thanks to the ambient IR i guess.

I bought the Orange IRs from CabIR two weeks ago, and one of its IRs has become my favourite IR (I own a lot from Ownhammer): OR-4X12_SIG_05_TR - one of the Signature-Mixes. Using it with the German Ubersonic or Anchor Lead you can create impressive crunch and lead sounds.

I must say: All the IRs that are delivered in an IR pack are too much for me … It's hard to find the one you like. But the Signature-Mixes are a good starting point for the Orange IRs.

At first I turned to the signature mixes as well just to get at clear vision of what they are all about. The OR-4X12_SIG_05_TR stood out to me also. But i'm not intimidated by the number of IR's in the lib. Many of them are not to my taste - either to bright or lacking in the low end. But yes there's a lot of them and it's hard to decide. I spent an hour yesterday just cycling through fifty of'em.

• Upvote 1

Yes, interesting concept. After further experimentation I prefer using the full Helix Amp model with the I-version of the IRs rather than the Helix preamp model with the T-version of the IRs. But both seem more clear and crisp than using the Helix cabs. That may say more about my lack of understanding and ability in tweaking the Helix cabs (e.g. juggling mic distance and early reflections, neither of which are IR parameters). To me it's simpler to just plug in an IR, once you've weeded through the many possibilities and their meanings.

I'm sure you are way better at tweaking the Helix than I am - by a mile. I've only had the Helix for a year or so. Before that I didnt really care to much about my tone. I used my POD UX1 with a goto patch and that was about it. Only recently I started making my own patches. But I must say it's quite rewarding and fun. best of all I've learned to trust my ears.

• Upvote 1

That`s interesting! Gear like the Helix should do the power Amp simulation. So the intended "correct" usage would be just using the _Idealized NULL Amp IR versions, not including ANY influences of a tube power amp - should be the job of the Helix power amp sim, right? The idea behind the T_ube Amp versions was, to give Users, who prefer still using real tube power Amps to drive their passive FRFR include some of the Tube amp coloration, based on the impediance curve of a dedicated guitar cabinet due low damping factor of Tube Amps. Solid state Amps have high damping factors, so they keep linear. Here the T_ube Amp IR versions may give back some of the tube power amp coloration / feel.

The other solution is: Using just a preamp + IR as cab emulation. So, some of the Tube Amp interaction will be included as "linear print" in the "T" IR versions. That`s, what you did, when just using the preamp section of the Helix.

Also very intersting! Your sample sounds really good to me, like it! May you reveal, what library exactly you used here? I would like to add this soundcloud sample to the cabIR playlist for sure :)

In fact, you used the Ambient versions in a not intended way, but the result convinced, no doubt :) My intention of the Ambient mixes, was to give an impression out of the box, what you can achieve, when mixing a close mic (single or mix) + rear cabinet + room1 (left IR) / room3 (right IR). I use this mixing appraoch personally oftenly, when playing "silent" at home with In-Ears to get the impression of "Amp in the room" sound. Sample:

https://soundcloud.com/cabir-eu/mm-112rp_ev12l-speaker-cabinet-impulse-response-library-room-mix-1

(EV12L IRs from an unreleased IR-library, i`m working on + Dumble Amp Sim + ES335).

So, listen loud with HEADPHONES - that`s what it`s made and mixed for. All the "room" you here is from the room and rear IRs - no algorithm or convolution reverb included in the signal chain! That`s made by splitting the "just Amp Sim" signal in the DAW to 4 single tracks adding there 1 of the four IRs each in a convolution host, giving availability to the whole 500ms (24000samples) long reverb trails... so, i use the Modeler just as Amp and add the miced cabinet on different tracks in the daw in realtime...

So, when using those AMBIENT mixes or room / rear IRs in the Helix, they will be truncated to 2048samples (ca. 42ms). In result, the room reverb tails get lost and just the "honk" of the room capture survive.

Forgive me, it`s Axe-Fx, but here a demo of the above written concept. Not the greates tone, i know, but it was just for demoing the AMBIENT mixing concept:

That`s interesting! Gear like the Helix should do the power Amp simulation. So the intended "correct" usage would be just using the _Idealized NULL Amp IR versions, not including ANY influences of a tube power amp - should be the job of the Helix power amp sim, right? The idea behind the T_ube Amp versions was, to give Users, who prefer still using real tube power Amps to drive their passive FRFR include some of the Tube amp coloration, based on the impediance curve of a dedicated guitar cabinet due low damping factor of Tube Amps. Solid state Amps have high damping factors, so they keep linear. Here the T_ube Amp IR versions may give back some of the tube power amp coloration / feel.

The other solution is: Using just a preamp + IR as cab emulation. So, some of the Tube Amp interaction will be included as "linear print" in the "T" IR versions. That`s, what you did, when just using the preamp section of the Helix.

Yes, I've experimented with both setups: Helix full amp (including power amp) with the "I" versions of the IR as well as Helix preamp (no power amp) with the "T" version of the IR. The full amp+I pairing gives a more full sound whereas the preamp+T pairing gives a different but also very pleasing sound. The biggest difference I notice is that the full+I combo is much more sensitive to the Drive parameter in the preamp model. The added crunch/grit is very noticeable. In the pre+T combo the sound is much less sensitive to the Drive preamp setting - the added crunch/grit with a higher setting is much less noticeable. Does that make sense? You say that the T version includes "some" of the Tube amp interaction. Perhaps what's missing includes the part where the Drive parameter of the preamp works in conjunction with the master volume of the power amp to produce crunch/grit?

Yes, I've experimented with both setups: Helix full amp (including power amp) with the "I" versions of the IR as well as Helix preamp (no power amp) with the "T" version of the IR. The full amp+I pairing gives a more full sound whereas the preamp+T pairing gives a different but also very pleasing sound. The biggest difference I notice is that the full+I combo is much more sensitive to the Drive parameter in the preamp model. The added crunch/grit is very noticeable. In the pre+T combo the sound is much less sensitive to the Drive preamp setting - the added crunch/grit with a higher setting is much less noticeable. Does that make sense? You say that the T version includes "some" of the Tube amp interaction. Perhaps what's missing includes the part where the Drive parameter of the preamp works in conjunction with the master volume of the power amp to produce crunch/grit?

Yes, this makes 100% sense! The convolution / impulse response tecnique is a "linear" concept. It represent frequency response and time based events (reverb tail). So, no "non-linear" events can be achieved with this concept, like Gain, dynamics, harmonics, etc. That said with "some" i meant the frequency changes, the impediance (frequency) curve from the cabinet - low damping real (tube) power amp will generate. The impediance curve depends on the cabinet, the negative feedback from the power amp and other parameters...

Long story short: Your findings match the tecnical behaviours:)

Long story short: Your findings match the tecnical behaviours:)

Good! Thanks - I'll not spend any more time wondering why the Drive setting is so non-responsive with the preamp+T combo! As you described, the full+I combo is the way to go with Helix.

There's a lot more going on in a power amp than the impedance changes due to the speaker interaction with the tube amp and the impact of the negative feedback loop. Certainly there's the inverter and power tube distortion, sag, and power supply ripple. So it might make sense to use Helix amp models with the T IR models. This won't capture the interaction between the amp and the speaker as that needs to be modeled between them. But it might be useful.

• Upvote 1

There's a lot more going on in a power amp than the impedance changes due to the speaker interaction with the tube amp and the impact of the negative feedback loop. Certainly there's the inverter and power tube distortion, sag, and power supply ripple. So it might make sense to use Helix amp models with the T IR models. This won't capture the interaction between the amp and the speaker as that needs to be modeled between them. But it might be useful.

+1. And to make this clear, i will repeat it: IMO, For most accurcacy using a full modeled Tube Amp Sim like the Helix provides, the IR should not contain any actual (linear) power amp "response". It`s the job of the power amp modeling (& maybe some nonlinear modeling of cabinet behaviours) to fullfill these linear and non-linear events. Sometimes, most "accuracy" must not sound subjective best. So, the "T" version is just an option. If you like more "scoop", or you did not have any power amp modeling (using just a preamp section of whatever), It MAY be a subjective better opurtinity. In the first line, I would always recommend the "I" version with a good modeler. At the end of the day, the only thing, what`s important is: Use, what sounds best to you!

Cheers :)

Markus

• Upvote 1

Thanks Markus,

Here's the cabs I used.

Mr-Pin68_Ambient-cab_L_I

Mr-Pin68_Cab_mo1_Multi_I

The pinstripe 68 cab is my favourite for blues rock. I generally use a multi mic setting because of its warmth.

The amp was a Fender Deluxe nrm boosted with a Hedgehog D9. Guitar a Fender strat deluxe Shawbucker.

Oh and i reduced the Ambient cab to -18.8

While the other one was stock -18

• Upvote 1

Thanks Markus,

Here's the cabs I used.

Mr-Pin68_Ambient-cab_L_I

Mr-Pin68_Cab_mo1_Multi_I

The pinstripe 68 cab is my favourite for blues rock. I generally use a multi mic setting because of its warmth.

The amp was a Fender Deluxe nrm boosted with a Hedgehog D9. Guitar a Fender strat deluxe Shawbucker.

Oh and i reduced the Ambient cab to -18.8

While the other one was stock -18

Great! Thanks for the info, Alpag! By the way: Using this two IRs is similiar like just mixing the CAB_MULTI_M01 with the ROOM_R1 to prefered mix ratio, cause the AMBIENT_CAB_L contain the CAB_MULTI and ROOM_R1 to some degree. Only the REAR Mic would be lost, which also is mixed in the Ambient variants... just FYI :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Digging out this old thread, I missed the Vox freebie, and I don't see any Vox IRs on the site. Did that project get cancelled?

I have the MR-PIN68_G12M20 and OR-4X12_G12H30 packs, really like them both a lot, great stuff.

Digging out this old thread, I missed the Vox freebie, and I don't see any Vox IRs on the site. Did that project get cancelled?

I have the MR-PIN68_G12M20 and OR-4X12_G12H30 packs, really like them both a lot, great stuff.

Well, ... yes and no. Yes, because i felt, the pack was back the time not to my 100% satisfying. No, because i could do the whole shooting, processing, prodcuing new from ground up.

Sometimes it just takes longer. Complete new re-shooting, processing and Cab-Pack building. But now it`s there:

The cabIR.eu VX-CA30TB_BLUE IR library, based on a VOX â„¢ AC30 / 6 TB from 1995 with 2x12 "VOX â„¢ Alnico Blue 8Ohm speakers.

tease_VX-CA30TB_BLUE_small.png

The new "focus IR series" has a goal - clarity at all levels. On the technical side, I could keep the signal path even cleaner, the processing further refine. The Cab Pack itself focuses on the best features of the "pro IR series", the good and proven has been expanded. The result is a cab pack structure, which is easier, faster and more targeted to search, without compromising, as far as possible your own mix ambitions - on the contrary!

• cabIR.eu "idealized-NULL-Amp voicing": Mathematical exclusion of any power amp influences
  • cabIR.eu "objective sweet spot method": Microphone positions determined for subjective microphone positions or individual preferences. Clarity!
  • The _QUICKSTART folder with only a few IRs guide you through the characters of the individual microphones or speakers, and the mix paradigms of the FOCUS and MIX-CLASSIC folders.
  • The FOCUS folder: The proven mix paradigm of the "MULTI" IRs of the "pro IR series" was further developed in the new FOCUS IRs. Keywords: Super Balanced IRs. Even more clarity!
  • The MIX-CLASSICS folder: Classic mixes of microphone pairs, such as Shureâ„¢ SM57 with Royer Labsâ„¢ R-121 or "front" - with "rear" positions.
  • SINGLE-MICS folder: As usual as MPT (time-aligned, minimal phase) and RAW (realphase incl. Authentic pre-delay time), at least 3 positions per microphone and speaker.

Also nice that I could use a Royer R-121 ribbon microphone. After working with this, I slowly understand why it has become the studio standard for the amp acceptance with ribbon microphone mummified. Beautiful part. Not straight linear, but very Amp-likely, has its own character.

The highlight, however, was a very special piece: A Neumann U67 tube-large diaphragm condenser microphone, predecessor of the U87. Freshly maintained by Neumann-Pope Andreas Grosser. Correctly, it was even a U269: Extra shielded for the broadcasting stations and the directional characteristics can be adjusted continuously. Working with this baby was a great experience. Character with no end, and insanely good-natured in positioning. It can hardly be wrong.

In addition, one should not underestimate the very small things: The tiny Neumann KM 184. The small membrane capacitor makes a great sound! I had not thought so. This was also used for the 2 "rear" microphone positions.

For further information, tips, and comments, such as, where and why ... you can get from the USER-GUIDE, or directly on the home page of the cabIR.eu cabIR.eu VX-CA30TB_BLUE IR library.

Have fun ...

Markus

PS.: By the way and not uninteresting to read a comparison on TGP ... even if this was with a IR Mix from that cabinet of the first shooting, nearly a year ago ... never released, because never felt, i was there, where the pack should be. Now it is clear.png:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guys, i bundled 4 new cabinets of the new "focus IR series" and for an introduction i discounted this CORE4TONE starter pack that much (introduction price till 7th july), that nobody should miss it! Check it out! I`m sure, you will love it!

I am really sure, you will love the new folder structure as the sound you will get out of these IRs! Clarity, easy to use, extremely balanced IRs ( key is FOCUS folder! ). You don`t have to tweak the amp sims with these to get greatest results!

tease_C4T-STARTER-PACK_forum.png

All the best (see above, if you ask yourself, what i mean ... :lol: )
Markus

Great Vox tone with the HELIX Vox Ac30 Fawn and the cabIR.eu VX-CA30TB_BLUE IR library, based on the same amp ...
https://soundcloud.com/tmuka/helix-vox-ac30-fawn-cabireu-thiele-mix-57121-1

But also great: Combination of the same IR library with the Helix Bassman Nrm! Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/tmuka/helix-bassman-nrm-cabireu-vox-mix-57121-2

wow ... great tones with the Helix!

• 3 months later...

Holy Moly ...

Impressive playing from Norway!
Stian Lerstad Johansen combines some Amps from the Line6 Helix LT with cab IR`s from the www.cabIR.eu CORE 4 TONE Bundle:
"The four presets that I´ve been most satisfied with. Made them myself with IR´s from CabIR. Mostly used Tweed cab and a Marshall cab. Really recommend these IR´s btw. Sounds terrific!
Dr. Z: MR AX1960 Focus Cab 121 and Thiele Focus Cab 121
Vox: MR AX1960 C 57 and VX CA30TB Focus A 57 Fender
Bassman: MR AX1960 Focus B 121 and FE Tweed Focus Cab 57
Fender Dlx: same as Bassman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svSL1qQTi1w

• 4 weeks later...

In the spirit of marketing flooding at good prices ... cabir.eu will not lag behind: 33%.33% OFF this Black Weekend :D

black_friday_flyer_800x533.png

https://www.cabir.eu/en/38-single-ir-libraries

And as a repeated tip, to make life no harder than it is (it`s quite the opposite these days with the Helix, seriously ...) to find the sound (I can not say it often enough):

Find your sound quickly, easily and purposefully:
1) Choose the amp and leave it on "default"
2) Choose a cab IR that will take you to "the ballpark"
3) Finally, use the Amp EQ to tune your guitar to the amp...

... and NOT to compensate for a given IR! The cab IR is the complement of your signal path! With the cab IR your sound stands and falls. Starting with the subjective right one makes it easier for you to find awesome sound without an everlasting tweaking! Trust in "keep it simple" ! :)

• 1 month later...
Hi guys,

i happily want to share the release of 5 new www.cabIR.eu USA COMBOS IR libraries based on some really nice, untouched originals. All libraries are as singles or as bundle with a 50% OFF introduction pricing available.

61023a86955e55e300d2a428b9816264b7ddda36

FE-SREV72_CTS: Based on a Fender ™ Super Reverb from 1972, originally loaded with 4x10" CTS™ 10†Alnico speaker from1972.

FE-VLUX65_C10NS: Based on a Fender™ Vibrolux from 1965 with 2x10“ Jensen™ C10NS speakers from 1965.

FE-VLUX91_EMI: Based on a Fender™ Custom Vibrolux CSR8 from 1991 with 2x10“ Emincence™ `blue frame` Alnico speakers.

MM-RP112_EV12L: Based on a MusicMan™ 112 RP One Hundred from 1979 with a 1x12“ ElectroVoice™ EV12L speaker from 1979

MB-LOSTAR_SHADOW: Based on a Mesa Boogie™ Lone Star Special from 2006, loaded witha 1x12“ MC-90 Black Shadow speaker.

I wish all of you a happy new year!
Markus