Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live setup info please!

capdoogie

• 1 month later...

I've been running xlr to FOH ever since I got my helix back in September of 2016. So far I've only had one issue and I think it was with my Relay G50 wireless that was the root of the problem. I went to switch on my delay effect and it caused everything to become a clean booming preset. After finishing the song I powered off the helix and powered back on but the clean booming sound still existed. Anyone else run into that before or at all?

• 1 month later...

NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!

I just got my Helix this week and tried it at a practice the other eve.

I was trying to run 1/4 out to the monitor behind me (ie to replace my amp/stage volume) and then a MONO XLR to the mixing board.

However, I could get sound out of the Monitor behind me but no sound going to the Mixing board.

Why would this be?

My Globals were XLR out set to Mic and My 1/4 out set to instrument.

Not sure what was going wrong here?

Also, have been having some issues while Editing the Helix patches, be it in the Mac Computer Editor or Editing on the Helix itself that once in a while after an Edit the Helix will not put out any Sound to the Speaker..... I can still scroll on the screen of the Helix but no sound going to the Speaker.

I then have to turn the Helix off and restart it again and then the sound goes back on and through the speaker again..... The Helix was updated to the New Firmware 2.21 and I did the Global Reset with Holding buttons 7 and 8 down at the same time with restart etc.

Is anyone else having this same issue with their new Helix Update? Is it a bug?

I don't want the sound to just stop while playing live somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any Help with these issues.

NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!

I just got my Helix this week and tried it at a practice the other eve.

I was trying to run 1/4 out to the monitor behind me (ie to replace my amp/stage volume) and then a MONO XLR to the mixing board.

However, I could get sound out of the Monitor behind me but no sound going to the Mixing board.

Why would this be?

My Globals were XLR out set to Mic and My 1/4 out set to instrument.

Not sure what was going wrong here?

Also, have been having some issues while Editing the Helix patches, be it in the Mac Computer Editor or Editing on the Helix itself that once in a while after an Edit the Helix will not put out any Sound to the Speaker..... I can still scroll on the screen of the Helix but no sound going to the Speaker.

I then have to turn the Helix off and restart it again and then the sound goes back on and through the speaker again..... The Helix was updated to the New Firmware 2.21 and I did the Global Reset with Holding buttons 7 and 8 down at the same time with restart etc.

Is anyone else having this same issue with their new Helix Update? Is it a bug?

I don't want the sound to just stop while playing live somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any Help with these issues.

What was the gain/trim setting on the channel you were plugged into on the mixer?  Mic levels are considerably lower than line levels so you need to make sure the gain/trim which is the preamp level for the channel is turned up.  Personally I run my XLR out using line because it's not that far of a run to the mixer, but it should work either way.  It's just that Mic input on most boards will require more preamp gain/trim.  Also select the output block make sure your output block is set to "multi" per the instruction on page 15 of the manual.

As far as sound going off while you're editing it shouldn't do that unless you inadvertently changed an input or output block in some way.  If the patch wasn't saved and you just shut off the unit, when you turned it back on it would revert to the last saved version which had a correct input or output block.  That's the only thing I can think of that would fit that behavior.

What was the gain/trim setting on the channel you were plugged into on the mixer? Mic levels are considerably lower than line levels so you need to make sure the gain/trim which is the preamp level for the channel is turned up. Personally I run my XLR out using line because it's not that far of a run to the mixer, but it should work either way. It's just that Mic input on most boards will require more preamp gain/trim. Also select the output block make sure your output block is set to "multi" per the instruction on page 15 of the manual.

As far as sound going off while you're editing it shouldn't do that unless you inadvertently changed an input or output block in some way. If the patch wasn't saved and you just shut off the unit, when you turned it back on it would revert to the last saved version which had a correct input or output block. That's the only thing I can think of that would fit that behavior.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate that.

The xlr was set to mic and went into the board the boards gain was set to unity and played with the slider and nothing came out of it.

All I got to the board was a hiss. When I then muted the channel that it was plugging into the hiss went away. But I couldnt get a guitar sound.

At the end of the patch chain on the output I do have the patches set also to multi.

The editing issue I can't figure out.

It has happened 3-4 times while editing patches. On the computer 3 times and 1 time while editing on the Helix itself.

Seems like I was doing everything correct as per the owners manual but it didn't work.

So, to get rehearsal moving I took the XLR out of the board plugged into my FRFR monitor and mic'd the FRFR to get sound to the board. (To get practice moving)

But that defeats the purpose of having these other outputs.

I really wanted to hear the way it all sounded hooked up properly with the band playing before our gig Saturday. Ughhhhhh.

XLR mic level out @ 0dB straight to FOH, 1/4" line level @ 0dB out to my poweramp for stage cab.

Volume knob controls only 1/4" out for setting stage level.

I use a volume block in all presets assigned to EXP2 with EXP2 set to global position to control volume swells and muting during the show.

All my snapshots are leveled appropriately for performance relative to each other in the studio and then during soundcheck all I do is set the big volume knob to an appropriate level for how much I need to hear from the onstage cab in order to get good feedback and hear clearly and that's that. Job done.

I've only once had to adjust the XLR out master level at a show to lower it slightly because the console in question had really hot preamps. Consoles are designed to accept mic level voltages on their preamps so it's logical to send them mic level signals.

And your stage is FRFR ? Are setting your 1/4 out no cab sim ?

Or you swing all simulated cabs in your cab?

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate that.

The xlr was set to mic and went into the board the boards gain was set to unity and played with the slider and nothing came out of it.

All I got to the board was a hiss. When I then muted the channel that it was plugging into the hiss went away. But I couldnt get a guitar sound.

At the end of the patch chain on the output I do have the patches set also to multi.

The editing issue I can't figure out.

It has happened 3-4 times while editing patches. On the computer 3 times and 1 time while editing on the Helix itself.

Seems like I was doing everything correct as per the owners manual but it didn't work.

So, to get rehearsal moving I took the XLR out of the board plugged into my FRFR monitor and mic'd the FRFR to get sound to the board. (To get practice moving)

But that defeats the purpose of having these other outputs.

I really wanted to hear the way it all sounded hooked up properly with the band playing before our gig Saturday. Ughhhhhh.

I would think unity setting on the channel would be fine as long as that channel doesn't have a pad engaged.  Just so you know, unity setting on the gain knob doesn't really mean much.  Gain on the signal should be set by engaging the PFL button and then watch the signal lights as the signal comes through and maximize the signal to unity based on the signal lights.  That's just FYI, but the hissing is very suspicious.  It could be a bad cable or it might be phantom power is engaged on that channel which is a known issue for the Helix.  But the fact you heard hissing (i'm assuming you heard it at a fairly normal level on the fader, not at it's peak) suggests there's something else going on there.

Just to eliminate some things, I don't know what type of FRFR speaker you have, but I would assume if it's like most you have a piggyback output XLR out on the speaker.  You could try running your XLR to the board from that output and see what you get.  That would at least eliminate a bad XLR cable and give you a direct line into the board.  If that's still bad try a different channel on the board and see if the channel has a problem.  I'd also suggest running from the XLR out on the Helix to your FRFR speaker...just make sure the speaker is setup correctly for that signal.  That's just to either eliminate or identify whether there's a problem with the XLR out on the Helix.  The problem with these kind of things is the failure point could be in so many places.

The editing issue is truly a strange one.  That's never happened to me on either of my Helix units.  I've had a couple of freezes when hooked up to the editor, but it never affected the sound on the Helix.  Honestly, this is one of those things I think is worth a call to the support line.  The XLR issue needs a bit more troubleshooting to verify it's a Helix issue, but the dropout during editing is a true mystery and is worth a call.

I run bass and guitar through my Helix at the same time. When I play guitar, keyboard/harmonica player takes bass. Main input for guitar and Aux for bass (Active). Volume knob OFF by setting it to the digital output. Left XLR to mixer for guitar. Mic Level. All guitar stage volume is monitor mix/wedges. 1/4 out of helix to bass amp for stage bass and take line out of bass amp (pre amp) to mixer for FOH. No bass in monitors. 

• 1 month later...

Running helix into the power section of my '91 Marshall valvestate.

Gig this weekend and considering direct to PA, although my presets I set up with one direct 1/4 out and also a second out which goes through a modelled cab before xlr to foh.

Amazing piece of kit!

• 5 months later...

One question:

How do you set up global in outs so the Xlr out to FOH is NOT affected by global volume?

Press the Menu button (3 lines, second from left on top).

Press "Global Settings"

go to "Ins/Outs"

Page 3 (in v2.30), 3rd knob from the left adjusts Volume Knob controls. Options are Multi, 1/4"+XLR, 1/4", XLR, Digital.