Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 firehawk 1500

Mgregory623

Firehawk 1500 sounds really good with Helix.

We don't currently have plans on creating an engineless Firehawk FRFR amp as the hardware would be virtually identical—a slower DSP and less UI, sure, but I'd be surprised if that dropped the MAP by more than $100 or so. If you're not interested in the modeling, look at Firehawk 1500 as a really loud (132dB!) stereo/wet-dry-wet FRFR that happens to have a backup amp/effects modeler built in, just in case your modeler's stolen before a gig.

And unlike other amps, it sounds great with acoustic guitars, vocals, and stereo keyboards.

• Upvote 1

Firehawk 1500 sounds really good with Helix.

We don't currently have plans on creating an engineless Firehawk FRFR amp as the hardware would be virtually identical—a slower DSP and less UI, sure, but I'd be surprised if that dropped the MAP by more than $100 or so. If you're not interested in the modeling, look at Firehawk 1500 as a really loud (132dB!) stereo/wet-dry-wet FRFR that happens to have a backup amp/effects modeler built in, just in case your modeler's stolen before a gig.

And unlike other amps, it sounds great with acoustic guitars, vocals, and stereo keyboards.

How does the overall output level compare to a pair of say Alto TS112s, or Mackie Thump 12s. I really like the idea of an AIO FRFR amplifier, but in trying my HD500X through the bigger AmplifI I couldn't get any sort of usable stage volume. 132dB SEEMS loud, but how much of that is going to be unnecessary low end from the center speaker? Will this box be able to compete in "in-room" volume with a loud 4x12? Basically, I need my rig to be able to push enough volume to be usable in scenarios where the guitar isn't getting PA support and there is a loud drummer. I can do that now with $600 worth of powered speakers, but I have to carry two boxes (admittedly, those two boxes together don't weight as much as this amp). 

How does the overall output level compare to a pair of say Alto TS112s, or Mackie Thump 12s. I really like the idea of an AIO FRFR amplifier, but in trying my HD500X through the bigger AmplifI I couldn't get any sort of usable stage volume. 132dB SEEMS loud, but how much of that is going to be unnecessary low end from the center speaker? Will this box be able to compete in "in-room" volume with a loud 4x12? Basically, I need my rig to be able to push enough volume to be usable in scenarios where the guitar isn't getting PA support and there is a loud drummer. I can do that now with $600 worth of powered speakers, but I have to carry two boxes (admittedly, those two boxes together don't weight as much as this amp). 

Firehawk 1500 is stereo, supports wet-dry-wet from one enclosure, and has six speakers, so comparisons with PA speakers (almost never FRFR-level anyway) can't be easily made. It's also heavy, at ~63 pounds.

132dB is loud enough to scare Cthulhu back to the briny depths.

• Upvote 2

Firehawk 1500 is stereo, supports wet-dry-wet from one enclosure, and has six speakers, so comparisons with PA speakers (almost never FRFR-level anyway) can't be easily made. It's also heavy, at ~63 pounds.

132dB is loud enough to scare Cthulhu back to the briny depths.

so......compared to say, a cranked triple rectifier, will this move a similar amount of air? I've been seriously disappointed by most AIO stereo boxes, because the output volume can get loud, but when the bass gets cut down to stay out of the low end, the volume also disappears. I'll wait till GC gets one and find out for myself, I guess.

I have seen all over the web people talking about the Firehawk 1500 hundred working well with the Helix.  

If we go out the Helix XLR R/L to Monitor in R/L of the Firehawk 1500 are all the speakers going to work?  Meaning are we getting the Wet/Dry/Wet?  Others have posted we need to run a send out of the helix into an input to a clean (Firehawk) preset.  If that is the case seems like a lot of work just to get the amp to work correctly.

Would have been nice to use a Link cable?  Or just use a couple LT2 or Lt3?

If we go out the Helix XLR R/L to Monitor in R/L of the Firehawk 1500 are all the speakers going to work? Meaning are we getting the Wet/Dry/Wet? Others have posted we need to run a send out of the helix into an input to a clean (Firehawk) preset.  If that is the case seems like a lot of work just to get the amp to work correctly.

Firehawk 1500 is a stereo system and a mono system. If you don't utilize the Guitar In, the middle mono horn isn't used. So...

• Rear-panel combi jacks > Firehawk 1500 Stereo System (2x coax speakers + 12" for sub)
  • Guitar In > Firehawk 1500 Mono System (12" speaker + horn with all modeling)
  • Both Rear-panel combi jacks and Guitar In > Wet-Dry-Wet system (all six speakers)

Looks great. However I will use Helix as sort of dual mono. Variax models panned left with one path of FX and amp, magnetics panned right with another path. Keeping the mags and models hard panned is key. If I plug left and right out of Helix into FH 1500 the 12 inch speaker will not be used? Or used as sub? I suppose not critical if the FOH has the full separation.

• 2 weeks later...

Firehawk 1500 is a stereo system and a mono system. If you don't utilize the Guitar In, the middle mono horn isn't used. So...

• Rear-panel combi jacks > Firehawk 1500 Stereo System (2x coax speakers + 12" for sub)
  • Guitar In > Firehawk 1500 Mono System (12" speaker + horn with all modeling)
  • Both Rear-panel combi jacks and Guitar In > Wet-Dry-Wet system (all six speakers)

Are the other two coax speakers only used in wet/dry/wet mode, or are all four coax part of the regualar 'monitor in stereo'?

Not sure it matters, but it it's only two coax in 'monitor stereo' (IE, plugging in my Helix..) is the upper left and right?

Pysched to give this a go! I scored an open box from MF today; should be here next week some time. :)

file_r17490.png

Are the other two coax speakers only used in wet/dry/wet mode, or are all four coax part of the regualar 'monitor in stereo'?

Not sure it matters, but it it's only two coax in 'monitor stereo' (IE, plugging in my Helix..) is the upper left and right?

Pysched to give this a go! I scored an open box from MF today; should be here next week some time. :)

The stereo coaxes are still used for post effects, so you can get Wet-Dry-Wet with just one guitar straight into the top.

Why is there no L6 Link jack??? Kinda weird, isn't it????

The whole point of L6 LINK is to build a network of multiple speakers for stereo or wet-dry-wet setups. Firehawk 1500 is wet-dry-wet stereo by itself and it's stupid loud; there's not really any need to run more than one—certainly not enough to warrant developing L6 LINK for it. The protocol is expensive and can be insanely complex; we don't add it unless it's really necessary.

As far as digital connections go, modern A/D/As and clocking are so good, an extra pair of conversions isn't going to suck any tone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I just do not understand why Line 6 not bring us a simple stereo self-powered cabinet to connect the Helix or POD HD.

With a pair of line inputs and maybe a digital input.

I'm glad I bought a Roland GA-212 (stereo amp with stereo line inputs) for only 299€ (special price for the last units of a discontinued product)
. The speakers are surprisingly flat response. I use this amp even for my saxophones, flute and EWI, all connected thru the HD500.

A company like Line 6 could redefine the entire market of amplifiers: No manufacturing more amplifiers. Just stereo powered cabinets for connecting digital modelers.

• Upvote 3

No L6 Link is a deal breaker for me. I can't understand why Line 6 won't use the tech they invented??????

Did you not read my explanation two posts above yours?

More importantly, what would you expect L6 LINK in Firehawk 1500 to do? What could it possibly accomplish where not having it is a "deal breaker?"

Literally the only thing one could ever possibly argue is that analog cables add a D/A/D conversion, but AFAIK, no current guitar amp or FRFR speaker has AES or S/PDIF digital inputs anyway, so... what's the alternative?

• Upvote 1

I just do not understand why Line 6 not bring us a simple stereo self-powered cabinet to connect the Helix or POD HD.

We make one—Firehawk 1500. And there are also excellent powered cabinets from Mission, Matrix, Atomic, and Friedman.

If you're talking about cheap flat-ish amps or PA speakers that some people suggest are worthy of the "FRFR" moniker, there are probably a hundred to choose from. The FRFR market isn't nearly big enough for us to lose money on a box that would only serve to end up the weak link in a full-range Helix rig.

• Upvote 1

As far as digital connections go, modern A/D/As and clocking are so good, an extra pair of conversions isn't going to suck any tone.

I was perplexed as to why there was no Link input too, butI guess that makes sense.  

The only other concern I'd have is extra latency.. every DAC and ADC "only" adds a few milliseconds, but the more ADACS one adds to their rig, the more latency builds up, which is one reason I went for the Helix in the first place.  I've always been amazed to see folks with 4 eventide pedals or 4 line 6 stomp boxes, because whenever I've tried to play boards like that I feel like I'm muted and someone else is double-tracking me ;).  I love the idea of a rig comprising of a Variax->Helix->Eventide H9->Firehawk, but I'm pretty sure that the latency would cross my comfort threshold.    Hearing is believing though - I can't wait until the local GC has a Firehawk 1500 setup for me to try out!

I read your explanation but i just don't agree with you. If i can't use the L6 Link to connect i might just as well use another manufacturers solution or go with a Stagesource. I think you just shoot yourself in the foot here. I want to connect to other Line 6 stuff as easy as possible and you have a very nice interface for just that in L6 Link but you choose to not include it in your products. Huge mistake....

Shoot ourselves in the foot? Huge mistake?

What do you think L6 LINK is? What specifically would you expect it to accomplish?

• Upvote 1

... If i can't use the L6 Link to connect i might just as well use another manufacturers solution or go with a Stagesource.....

What would you be connecting the Firehawk 1500 to via L6 Link? Not a guitar multiFX processor - the FH 1500 is a multiFX processor. And not a Stagesource - the FH 1500 provides its own speaker system. What other L6 device do you plan on using with the FH1500? And why?

What would you be connecting the Firehawk 1500 to via L6 Link? Not a guitar multiFX processor - the FH 1500 is a multiFX processor. And not a Stagesource - the FH 1500 provides its own speaker system. What other L6 device do you plan on using with the FH1500? And why?

Yeah, I came to a similar conundrum trying to think it through. Technically, if it was going to go that (l6link) route, it should have both Line6 output, similar to Helix, HD500, etc - and also have Line6 Link input, similar to DT25 and Stagesouce. I am guessing that concept was briefly discussed at Line6 for about two minutes, and that was it for it. IE, L6link from Helix to the FH1500, then L6Link from FH1500 to Stagesource, etc.

Before Firehawk even came out, I was stuck making a similar choice using my L2t's. I can L6Link to them, but that doesn't include any global EQ, so I went back to either running XLR from Helix to each L2t, or running Helix XLR's to my mixer, then out to the L2/L3 speakers.

I probably hit the G.A.S. a little too hard ordering a FH1500; but I saw the open box pop up, and had the MF credit option so... 

In any event, at least for dialing in live sounds, or at least sounds to use with full band, drums, etc, I prefer being able to use the global EQ, just to fine tune things. So I had already gone over to using XLR into the L2t's. This way, I will be going XLR's into FH1500, then XLR out from the FH1500 to the mixer, then out to the L2t;s, but on the floor in front of me. Also considered reversing that, and putting the FH1500 in front of me, tilted back, and the L2t behind vertical; but makes more sense the first way, since I am using the L2 and L3 speakers with the M20d (back to the L6 link again!)

Of the bunch, the M20d offers the most routing anyway. If you used Helix's routing to send out different signal paths to the mixer, you could dial in a muli-speaker array, well beyond the stereo L/R that Helix is sending down the L6link. Rationalization, I know..

At some point, I will likely stack my L2t speakers on top of my L3m pair, and sit those to either side of the FH1500. Then maybe put my DT25 on top of the FH, and do the Marty McFly. My Helix patch shall be titled "1.21 GigaWatts!" :)

back_to_the_future_2.jpg

• Upvote 3

I have already explained my point of view. Like i said you have a very good interface for connecting Line 6 stuff with each other.

Your point of view is that L6 LINK is a "nice interface?" What does that even mean? Unless you know what you actually want to accomplish with L6 LINK—that is, actual features or specification thresholds, you might as well bemoan the fact that Firehawk 1500 also doesn't have ADAT lightpipe, HDMI, a garden hose, or a free puppy.
  • Upvote 4

We make one—Firehawk 1500. And there are also excellent powered cabinets from Mission, Matrix, Atomic, and Friedman.

If you're talking about cheap flat-ish amps or PA speakers that some people suggest are worthy of the "FRFR" moniker, there are probably a hundred to choose from. The FRFR market isn't nearly big enough for us to lose money on a box that would only serve to end up the weak link in a full-range Helix rig.

It amazes me how complicated people make their setups. Everyone wants 50 connections into all these different deivices and rigs to work,well with each other. I will not start another "old days" post but the phrase the simpler the better still goes. I always thought the idea behind modeling was to eliminate amps and the inherent issues with the mic process in live situations. I kind of understand in small bar situations if you are not going to mic the amps (though even this is not preferred as monitors are needed) but it is so much easier to go direct to the board and from my experience so far it sounds every bit as good. For home use just use a pair of studio monitors. It sounds amazing that way. I do understand that if you already own a certain setup that you want to get itt to work with what you have. Itbjust seems to me simpler is better and people are getting too caught up in wanting to use every cool tool at once.

• Upvote 1

I'm still struggling a bit to understand the value of the FH 1500 in that setup. You have Helix doing the guitar processing, so the FH1500 isn't necessary for that. Helix is also feeding FOH. You have the L2t (2 of them) as floor monitors, also fed by Helix, so no need for the FH 1500 there. Why is the FH 1500 on the stage?

• Upvote 1

Let's just agree to disagree. It's up to me and not to you if i want to connect my Helix to another Line 6 device via L6 Link. Don't try to tell me that it's not viable in this case. I want to use L6 Link for the simplicity and that i only need to use one simple XLR cable from my Helix to the other device. If you can't accept my critique for not supplying Firehawk 1500 with an L6 Link just try to accept that i don't agree with your decision.

But don't you try to tell me that i don't know what i'm talking about. I could take this conversation with you in Swedish or some other language (German or French) if you want to. But don't try to be a smartass with me. You are a representative for Line 6 and should behave yourself with some sort of restraint.

I have up until this point tried to be polite and accept your standpoint but if you can't keep the discussion polite and civil i would recommend that you find another media to belittle your paying customers in.

Let me just add that your way of discussing this matter have made me question my purchase of the Helix. I could easily go back to my Kemper or my Axe FX II. I voiced my opinion regarding the lack of L6 Link on one of your products and my opinion is something that you need to accept just as i accept your opinion. But i have in no way been aggressive in the way you are against me. I have tried to keep this discussion civil but you obviously doesn't see it like that.

Very strange way to communicate with customers. I have also saved this "Conversation for future reference... :-(

I think the way you have approached this is a huge mistake

You have shot yourself in the foot with this post

I'm not going to explain why

Perhaps you should choose a better medium for communicating with your vendors if you don't like it when they answer your unspecified slagging

I've saved this conversation as a passive aggressive thinly vieled threat ... Sorry for 'future reference'

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just thought of a cool idea.. Helix-> L6Link to pair of L2t,in stereo PA mode, but as stereo floor monitors. Then, XLR from each L2t to FH1500 XLR inputs. XLR to mixer from Helix with global EQ if needed.

That would be very cool. We have to use in ear here. I hate them personally because ours are old an I feel tethered.

Ok, ok... This is craziness! Let me get this right. You buy a $1500 floor processor to help get rid of your excess load to a gig then you want to add the fh1500 63lbs of mass. Why in the heck don't you just bring a real tube amp then. Also this is one of the many reasons I dumped my helix. it was costing to much to find what you think you need to make your helix sound good. Or am I missing something here? Or maybe 99.9% of everyone on this forum just plays at home and can have there helix tied to there l2t to there Firehawk 1500 to then whatever, because they don't schlep gear. And spend, spend, spend for trying to justify making there helix sound good. Why not just buy something that's sounds right to begin with.

• Upvote 4

All I use is Helix into either my 15" Seismic Audio coaxial powered monitor, or sometimes I'll use my 12" version of the same coaxial monitor. Either or both works well. Basically, I tote a two guitar Mono gig bag, helix pedalboard case, gig bag, and a pole for the monitor. Easiest, most versatile rig I've ever had to setup.

Ok, ok... This is craziness! Let me get this right. You buy a $1500 floor processor to help get rid of your excess load to a gig then you want to add the fh1500 63lbs of mass. Why in the heck don't you just bring a real tube amp then. Also this is one of the many reasons I dumped my helix. it was costing to much to find what you think you need to make your helix sound good. Or am I missing something here? Or maybe 99.9% of everyone on this forum just plays at home and can have there helix tied to there l2t to there Firehawk 1500 to then whatever, because they don't schlep gear. And spend, spend, spend for trying to justify making there helix sound good. Why not just buy something that's sounds right to begin with.

I'm still struggling a bit to understand the value of the FH 1500 in that setup. You have Helix doing the guitar processing, so the FH1500 isn't necessary for that. Helix is also feeding FOH. You have the L2t (2 of them) as floor monitors, also fed by Helix, so no need for the FH 1500 there. Why is the FH 1500 on the stage?

Yeah, you guys make some good points! I had that moment questioning the sanity of the purchase when I saw the shipping weight as 74.6 lbs when they sent me a tracking #...  :blink:

Might end up being something like, one rig stays at the rehearsal spot for Friday jams, and the other at home for studio / jamming there. Get together with the guys on Friday nights, already have a full PA with monitors there, so the FH1500 a likely candidate for that space.

The L2 have been sounding great at home; the L3 are slight overkill for home, much like a pan galactic gargle blaster...  :rolleyes:

694ef333-7c4e-4e2a-87e2-ec31fb814540.jpg