Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 firehawk 1500

Mgregory623

Nah, he has a right to be miffed. Sometimes I take for granted that many of you already know the whole snarky exchange this place (and TGP) has. I can imagine it's a bit odd at first discussing the hows and whys directly with the people who design the gear you use. I would've provided more context had I not been typing from my phone at my fiancée's über-religious grandfather's 90th birthday. So apologies, totgate.

The thing with L6 LINK is that it's an open-ended one-directional audio and bi-directional MIDI platform with zero inherent features. Depending on the product—or rather, groups of products specifically designed to work together, like StageScape and StageSource, or POD HD500X and DT50—it can be extremely powerful... or do nothing. In the case of Firehawk 1500, adding L6 LINK would literally do nothing but replace a single analog cable with a single digital cable. There'd be no consolidation of cabling, there'd be no extra features, and you'd pay more than $999, because L6 LINK ain't cheap. StageSource maintains L6 LINK because it was designed to be networked with and remotely controlled by a StageSource M20d mixer. If there was no M20d, L2 and L3 probably wouldn't have L6 LINK either, because again, replacing one analog cable with one digital cable isn't worth the effort or MAP pricing increase.

So if there's a specific feature or set of features one would want L6 LINK to accomplish, they'd have to let us know what they are. That's all.

^^^ This. I think the confusion lies in that some people may think L6 Link is a specific "feature". It isn't really. Its more of a method of allowing features to work between specific products. It's the medium that carries the communication, its not a set of APIs that allows one product to control the other automagically so to speak. Line6 would have to first add the L6 Link bits to the physical hardware, and then they would have to add whatever features you want to control between the devices to communicate OVER L6 Link. Its a way of communicating between the devices, not a specific set of commands or features. At least that's how I understand it. 

• 3 months later...

I'm considering either the Mission Gemini 2 or the L6 Firehawk 1500, as I want to keep the guitar cab format.

Helix connectivity to MG2 is a simple stereo connection.

I haven't seen anything published in the FH1500 or Helix manuals on connectivity between the two. Is see DI and Silverhead saying it's great, that FH1500 is the Line 6 FRFR amp for Helix and no other plans for a plain L6 link version of it are being developed. I would think L6 would publish connectivity and may some Helix Templates for FH1500.

I have gone through a couple of forums and videos trying to wrap my head around connectivity between Helix and FH1500.

It seems like it takes 3 cables and some creative Helix patch work to get signal to all FH1500 speakers, including the horn.

At this point, I don't think I care about wet/dry/wet. I would like to just use 1/4" LR stereo connection from Helix to FH1500 and XLR LR to the PA.

I think the horn is a key piece and don't want to lose it. I really don't want to mess with splitting the paths, summing stereo, etc. As I would have to go back through a lot of patches, many of which already have splits. Plus it sounds like levels and phasing may be an issue.

Is the Guitar input of FH1500 possibly stereo? That connection seems to get signal to all speakers.

I agree with you. You would think there would be a tutorial on how to hook up and set your patches up. Luckily chad Boston in the line 6 helix group on Facebook helped me out. I have mine set up with the helix's send 1 going to the 1/4 guitar input on the 1500. Then I have the xlr output of the helix going to the 1500 inputs. As for the patch, I put a send 1 block after the amp+cab block. The one tip Chad gave me was to bypass the the send block and get my sound dialed in. Then turn it on and tweak the settings for the send block. I hope someone makes a video on tips for setting it up soon but I am extremely happy with how it sounds. It's a steal at $1000.

I agree with you. You would think there would be a tutorial on how to hook up and set your patches up. Luckily chad Boston in the line 6 helix group on Facebook helped me out. I have mine set up with the helix's send 1 going to the 1/4 guitar input on the 1500. Then I have the xlr output of the helix going to the 1500 inputs. As for the patch, I put a send 1 block after the amp+cab block. The one tip Chad gave me was to bypass the the send block and get my sound dialed in. Then turn it on and tweak the settings for the send block. I hope someone makes a video on tips for setting it up soon but I am extremely happy with how it sounds. It's a steal at $1000.

So the send block is dry? All the wet tones go through XLR? What kind of settings do you tweak? I'll get my Firehawk 1500 tomorrow.