Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20D not saving monitor output levels

Heyup. I may well be missing something, but my M20D doesn't seem to be saving levels for the monitor outputs, either as part of a scene or a setup. It's by no means a big deal, but it seems either an odd omission or I'm not doing something right.

I did a quick search on here, but came up with nothing.

Any ideas?

V1.20, by the way.

That's odd. Monitor levels are saved as part of a Setup, according to the documentation:

"An M20d Setup, as mentioned on Page 2•4, is defined as the current configuration of all your inputs
and outputs, FX and channel settings, levels, mutes, pans, monitor levels, footswitch assignments,
L6 LINK settings and your stage icon layout, which represents your onstage gear."

For Scenes it says this:

"A Scene is essentially a snapshot of all your settings within the current Setup. These include settings for processor and FX parameters,
channel levels, mute, solo, pan position and monitor send levels. You can store up to 32 Scenes within a Setup."

The difference I can see regarding monitors is that a Setup saves overall monitor levels while a Scene saves the Monitor Send levels for each channel but not the overall level. Check the overall monitor output level (not the channel send level) when saving the setup.

Note also that loading a Setup causes the device Output Level (master fader) to be reset to zero.This probably also causes your monitor output level to be zero as well. So the relative balance between monitor and master output levels is saved, but both are zero when you load any Setup. Your saved relative monitor level should be audible as you increase the master output level.

Do you mean for the individual channels going to the monitor mix or the main monitor outs ie: monitor A, B, C and D levels.  The latter are not saved and get reset to zero as does the master output each time you change a setup.  If you are talking about the individual channels feeding into the monitor to create your monitor mix, those should definitely be saved and to me would be a very big deal if they weren't.  It takes so much tweaking to make everybody happy, I'd hate to be starting from scratch every gig.  The main outs I would prefer to be able to save them but I guess Line 6 decided that it was kind of a safety feature to not change setups and suddenly have feedback.  I use in ears so it would be a non issue for me and actually helpful.

All the final output levels are set to zero so that you don't have loud and potentially damaging signal levels going out when you switch on, and of course you looking like a bungling idiot!

For example if your L3 was set to 12 when you saved the setup and then as part of loading or unloading (or a helper that doesn't know what they are doing) the knob got pushed to 5pm (full volume) then you could get quite a shock when you switch the system on.

By defaulting all the outputs to zero level you can elegantly bring them up and everybody thinks you know what you are doing. (well it has worked for me so far  :) )

• Upvote 1