Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compatible expression pedals

Shrednoise321

I have used a Mission EP1-L6. Works nice. not my favorite pedal.

I also am using a really really old KORG EXP 2. IT works well.

And I have an old Ernie Ball VP Jr.. It works well, too.

With the volume pedals, you just connect a standard guitar cable from the EXP jack to the OUTPUT of the volume pedal and... voila... an expression pedal it becomes!

So, see what you have around, it might work.

• Upvote 1

The only problem with the Mission is the shallow throw is more appropriate for wah effects than volume swells. The FV-500L/H pedals have a reasonably deep throw, as do the Ernie Ball VPs. The inbuilt pedal on the Helix is somewhere in between.

The whole pedal compatibility thing is pretty silly. I wonder if it's worth just getting a midi box that converts a standard pedal into midi. Does the Helix allow midi expression assignments?

• Upvote 1

The only problem with the Mission is the shallow throw is more appropriate for wah effects than volume swells.

That's a really good point. I tried using the Mission for volume control, and it's terrible for that. Helix's built in one is great.

That's a really good point. I tried using the Mission for volume control, and it's terrible for that. Helix's built in one is great.

One of my EXPs only changes from clean to dirty on the amp. Yes, I can do it on a footswitch, but so far, I like it better with an EXP, but I don't mind short throw for that. So... the Mission gets that duty.

We rack users will always be envious of that awesome built-in EXP on the floor unit, btw.

I guess i wont be ordering the mission. :( too shallow for volume?

I want to use on board pedal for wah because of the toe switch engagement.

The mission pedal works great for wah. I prefer it over the built-in one. I'll just assign it to something other than the pedal switch.

Another way would be to set up the wah so that when whatever pedal it's assigned to is in the heel position, the wah is more or less off, by assigning both the mix and position parameters to the pedal. Usually a minimum mix of around 20-40 works, depending on the wah.

• 6 months later...

ok..

weres the list of 

compartible expression pedals for helix? !!!!

just whant to use this for volumen.

are you guys sure boss fv-500h/l dosent work?

fv-500 is the bigest foot pelda on the market! i like t one.

:blink:

mission looks like a wha pedal,,,

• Upvote 1

I've two FV-500H. They works (great for me, once you are used to it) but you need to know few things before to buy;

there are noticeable dead spots for both heel and toe

Total sweep is 18°. Heel Spot is 4°. Toe Spot is 4°. Real Sweep is 10°.
Helix pedal is Total Sweep 17°. Heel Spot is 1.5°. Toe Spot is 3°. Real Sweep is 12.5°.

After that you'd need to create a dedicated cable;

12993337_1799338483621044_71349833397048

I've two FV-500H. They works (great for me, once you are used to it) but you need to know few things before to buy;

there are noticeable dead spots for both heel and toe

Total sweep is 18°. Heel Spot is 4°. Toe Spot is 4°. Real Sweep is 10°.
Helix pedal is Total Sweep 17°. Heel Spot is 1.5°. Toe Spot is 3°. Real Sweep is 12.5°.

After that you'd need to create a dedicated cable;

12993337_1799338483621044_71349833397048

If it's anything like the Zooms I'm using now, you don't need a custom cable, just use a TS to TS cable (normal guitar cable) and flip the polarity in Helix.

My Mission pedal is now gone. I didn't like it as much as others.

EB VP Jr. is still the absolute best EXP I've used with Helix.

If it's anything like the Zooms I'm using now, you don't need a custom cable, just use a TS to TS cable (normal guitar cable) and flip the polarity in Helix.

My Mission pedal is now gone. I didn't like it as much as others.

EB VP Jr. is still the absolute best EXP I've used with Helix.

Nope.

If you use a TS/TS, connected to the dedicated EXP link (which is the one using the proper pot impedance for the Helix) you get a V shape curve. If you use the Vol out (which is producing a bad curve and more dead spot) then you can use a TS/TS and inverse in the Helix. At least this is what I get for both my FV-500H.

Here is something I posted before for anyone who wants to mod your EXP of what ever brand.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:22 AM

http://missionengineering.com/

Wiring.

Most potentiometers have three connectors; Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, and Wiper. Amazingly, there are multiple different ways these can be wired, all achieving largely the same result, which means yet more variations for expression pedals. The most common expression pedal wiring is to connect the pot to a 1/4″ stereo (TRS) instrument jack as follows:

CW —— Sleeve

Wiper — Tip

CCW —– Ring

An alternative is with the tip and the ring reversed as follows:

CW —— Sleeve

Wiper — Ring

CCW —– Tip

Yet a third way is as follows:

CW —— Sleeve

Wiper — Tip

CCW —– Tip

In this last one, the wiper and CCW are bonded together and connected to the tip and the ring is unused. This requires the use of a mono (TS) cable such as a regular guitar cable, in place of the stereo (TRS) cable used in the other two. These three are the most common that we see in expression pedals, but we keep finding more. Sometimes a dual gang potentiometer is wired in parallel to create a single pot with half the resistance. For example you may see a dual 20K Ohm potentiometer bridged into a single 10K. In this case the pedal will function the same as if it were a native 10K Ohm single pot.

OK so now we know we can do this:

The third way is the Line 6 way. (after some google searches I found this out)

This also alleviated the backwards operation problem and the 0 - 100 - 0 problem...

which means after the conversion you don't need to use TRS cables anymore you can use TS cables. Also now with either the 12k ohm pot in the one and the 10k ohm pot in the other I get full 0% to 100% on the Helix control.

here is what I did to make mine compatible so there would be no need for re configuring. the Potenteiometer on this 1 is 10k

gcmission1.jpg

Here is before

gcmission2.jpg

here is after... so just moving 1 wire (the green/ring) and put it together with the (red/Tip) and the (black/sleeve) stays the same.

also I jumped out the back on the side pot that is for changing the "throw" of it to disable it and not doing it made it have issues when you adjusted it it would not go back to full throw. (If that makes any scents to you)

gcmission.jpg

My other one

missionEPEV1.jpg

here is after... so just moving 1 wire (the green/ring) and put it together with the (red/Tip) and the (black/sleeve) stays the same.

missionEPEV.jpg

this model had a duel 24k pot and I soldered each connection 1,2 and 3 to 1,2 and 3 (you see it better in the picture above) making it a single 12k pot

missionEPEV2.jpg

This can be done with a soldering iron with no extra solder. just heat up the green wire pull it off and put it on with the red and heat it up to connect it.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just figured out how to use my FV-500L with the Helix as expression:

- You will need one TS plug and one TRS plug.

- Solder hot and shield to the TS plug as usual (shield to sleeve and hot to tip)

- On the TRS plug, solder the shield to Tip and Ring; and hot to sleeve

- Connect the TRS end to the FV-500L expression socket, connect the TS end to EXP3 on the Helix. You should be good to go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just figured out how to use my FV-500L with the Helix as expression:

- You will need one TS plug and one TRS plug.

- Solder hot and shield to the TS plug as usual (shield to sleeve and hot to tip)

- On the TRS plug, solder the shield to Tip and Ring; and hot to sleeve

- Connect the TRS end to the FV-500L expression socket, connect the TS end to EXP3 on the Helix. You should be good to go.

Hi - I finally cracked this last week too!  My wiring was very similar but not quite the same.

Other posts say you can't use the FV-500L/H pedals but they're wrong and this is such a great pedal.

I used a standard mono (TS to TS) lead but on the pedal end I replaced the plug for a stereo (TRS) plug.  The critical thing to remember is to ensure the RING connection is not connected.  

Helix EXP o/p                                               FV-500L or H  Expression Pedal

mono (TS) jack                                             stereo (TRS) jack

TIP <-----------------------------------------------------> TIP

RING (not connected)

SLEEVE <----------------------------------------------> SLEEVE

• Like 2

Just got a Dunlop DVP4 mini volume/expression. One DIP switch to switch over inside, and swap the direction via the global settings. I will be able to use it as a volume pedal for my mini rig as well, and it leaves lots more room in the backpack for cables. It has a good sweep for such a small pedal, plus adjustable drag on the treadle.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/27/2016 at 2:06 PM, PeterHamm said:

With the volume pedals, you just connect a standard guitar cable from the EXP jack to the OUTPUT of the volume pedal and... voila... an expression pedal it becomes!

With my HX FX, I am using a pair of Ernie ball VP JR.'s too, on one I am using an insert cable, tip to the out on the Ernie, ring to the in on the Ernie, the other end, the insert, is on the HX's EXP 2 jack to control FX parameters, only. For FX1, I make that volume, and the only way it would work for me with the 2nd Ernie, was to just use a guitar patch cable (T/S) from the out on the Ernie into the FX1 on the HX just for volume, and it works fine, the only thing is the throw on every pedal is somewhat different, so that is part of figuring out what works for you as well. The throw or travel rate on the Ernie is not exactly perfect, but very usable, the thing is the pedal feels good to me. I am using a stereo guitar amp so I have a slightly altered version of what's called the 7 cable method, a slightly more complex version of the 4 cable method, essentially just another send and return, since I don't have to go to 2 amps inputs. Look around, find a diagram for the 7 cable method using 2 amps, and omit the cable for the input to the 2nd amp for this. Then you have to put inserts and sends in the signal chains in each path to make this work. Took me a week to figure out all the problems, got another week to go to fine tune, but I hope to get there. Hope this helps someone. P.s. I attached a pic of the two amp method, or 7CM,  

MLJ.

HX 2 FX.png

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2016 at 4:06 PM, PeterHamm said:

For the Ernie Ball VP Jr, which plug do you use on it?  Tuner, In or Out?  I am using the HX Effects.  Thanks!

16 hours ago, spindlebox said:

For the Ernie Ball VP Jr, which plug do you use on it?  Tuner, In or Out?  I am using the HX Effects.  Thanks!

Output.

The Output on MANY Volume Pedals works as an EXP with Helix.

Oh, and they haven't made a big deal out of it, but compatibility with different old legacy pedals IMPROVED noticeably with 2.7.1.

Well, I found that you need to use what is known as an INSERT cable.  It is basically a stereo cable, with TRS on one side, splitting to a Y with TS on both ends.  The TRS goes into the HX Effects in an Expression Port, and the other two go into the IN/OUT of the Ernie Ball.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using several different pedals successfully with the HX Effects (not sure about the Helix, HX stomp, ...), and I think I've cracked the code.

Some of the pedals I'm using need a TRS cable.  e.g. Both my Valeton EP2 and my Donner Viper work as an volume pedal if you plug a TS cord into them, and as an expression pedal with a TRS (stereo) cord.  The HXFX needs them to work as an expression pedal.  The complication is that the Expression Pedal inputs** for the HXFX need a TS cord. The problem can be solved in one of two ways.  You can use a stereo TRS cord from pedal to HXFX and cut the R (middle) wire on one end.  Or, you can use one of these adapters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1, plug a TRS cord from pedal to the Hosa adapter, and the red Tip output from the adapter into the HXFX pedal input.  The other (ring) output from the adapter just hangs free, or you can cut it off.

I also use a line6 expression pedal with an ordinary TS patch cord.  Of course, it works perfectly.  It's a very nice pedal.

** Actually, there is an odd thing about the pedal inputs on my HXFX.  Pedal input #1 works as I described above.  But, my pedal input #2 doesn't seem to care whether it has a TS or TRS cord plugged into it.  So my volume/expression pedals work fine with a TRS cord from them to Pedal #2, but don't work in Pedal #1 without the fix I just described.  If you have a pedal that isn't working, try using a TRS cord into the pedal #2 input.  You might get lucky.

• 4 months later...

I confirm the volume pedal trick works with a FV-50 L. I used a standard TS patch cord, no mods necessary. However, the pot taper is logarithmic, so the usable range is narrow toward the toe end. For volume swells or wah it works fine since I don't need a lot of throw, but for precision work like tuning a Whammy to a specific pitch, it might be easier with a linear pot.

• 1 year later...

I posted this elsewhere but thought I'd add it here too.

I have worked out how to use my BOSS FV-30H with Helix as an expression pedal. If you put a dummy jack in the input and a TS to TS in the output, Helix picks it up and autocalibrates with no dead spots. The Helix doesn't seem to mind it's got a 250K pot in it. I used a 3.5mm stereo headphone adapter I had spare as the dummy. Logarithmic response though, so as FranCollQc has pointed out, limited range at toe end. I ended up putting a spacer under the toe end to let the Helix see a more linear part of the resistance curve when it autocalibrates.

DSC03004.thumb.jpg.5dfb045dd992d0a1788d4381b9d3b2df.jpg

1 hour ago, DoctorBobski said:

I ended up putting a spacer under the toe end to let the Helix see a more linear part of the resistance curve when it autocalibrates.

Hey!
Would you mind posting some pics/description of how you did this? I can imagine it's not a tough job to do, but I'd like to get some inspiration before I try to do it myself. It might be a helpful starting point for any other pedals that have a similar issue with the logarithmic response.

I had a look where the stops on the pedal contacted the base and put those sticky rubber bumpers/surface protectors on the base. It takes out that last 10 degrees or so. Pic attached. Different thicknesses will take out different levels of toe but reduce travel. Hope it helps you out.

Edit.thumb.jpg.6fab5f481eae55f7a8f018729304caaa.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DoctorBobski said:

I had a look where the stops on the pedal contacted the base and put those sticky rubber bumpers/surface protectors on the base. It takes out that last 10 degrees or so. Pic attached. Different thicknesses will take out different levels of toe but reduce travel. Hope it helps you out.

Edit.thumb.jpg.6fab5f481eae55f7a8f018729304caaa.jpg

Did the same with my FV500H. :)

4-DA59-C38-8358-4-DFE-B2-A3-9-D4-A387-C5

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that my Boss EV-30 (Dual Expression) will work (read the whole post) with Helix Floor using either a TS or a TRS cable as follows:

1. Set the EXP3 polarity to INV in global settings
  2. Set polarity switch on the EV-30 to "NOR"
  3. Turn the MIN trimmer on the EV-30 to full clockwise

The sweep is decent, but the first 10 degrees of travel from full heel down do not change the assigned parameter (using a simple volume block in this example).  You can improve this by putting the pedal into full heel-down position and adjusting the MIN trimmer until the assigned parameter just moves from 0% to 1%, then back the trimmer off slightly to 0%.

All this being said, if you are looking to purchase an expression pedal specifically for the Helix, I would NOT recommend the EV-30 (even though it is a great pedal).  I use mine because it's what I already had and it works for my needs.  If I have time this weekend, I'll try @PMJNugent's suggestion and report back.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:16 AM, PMJNugent said:

I used a standard mono (TS to TS) lead but on the pedal end I replaced the plug for a stereo (TRS) plug.  The critical thing to remember is to ensure the RING connection is not connected.  

Helix EXP o/p                                               FV-500L or H  Expression Pedal

mono (TS) jack                                             stereo (TRS) jack

TIP <-----------------------------------------------------> TIP

RING (not connected)

SLEEVE <----------------------------------------------> SLEEVE